GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New member for GL club! & What do you call your GL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
New member for GL club! & What do you call your GL?

Hey guys!

Mrs. Brocktoon delivered a 8lb 1oz baby boy last night. We called him Emmett. This brings our total to two, including our six year old girl, Waverly.

Anyways, it felt pretty good to drive him home through the ice and snow in "Mr. Mercedes", as the GL is known in our family. He is a replacement for "Mr. Car-Ride", our Land Rover that we bought when we started a family, now driven by my mother-in-law.

Do you guys have any family names for your GL? My grandmother used to drive a Monte Carlo, that was always called "Betsy", even to the people who drove her after she sold it. It seems it's kids and grans/bubbies naming cars, anyone else?

Last edited by Brocktoon; 12-05-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Hey guys!

Mrs. Brocktoon delivered a 8lb 1oz baby boy last night. We called him Emmett. This brings our total to two, including our six year old girl, Waverly.

Anyways, it felt pretty good to drive him home through the ice and snow in "Mr. Mercedes", as the GL is known in our family. He is a replacement for "Mr. Car-Ride", our Land Rover that we bought when we started a family, now driven by my mother-in-law.

Do you guys have any family names for your GL? My grandmother used to drive a Monte Carlo, that was always called "Betsy", even to the people who drove her after she sold it. It seems it's kids and grans/bubbies naming cars, anyone else?
Congrats on the new bundle of joy! As much as our GL is part of our family, sadly it doesn't have a name. Just Mercedes
Old 12-05-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GL350
Not having ordered my 2011 Mercedes GL450 as of yet, I find this future vehicle without a name however a couple of years ago I named my 2007 Cadillac Escalade " Piece of Sh*t"!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Hey guys!

Aww...Congratulations, Brocktoon Fam! Babies are precious.. I will someday soon be delivering them myself as a Certified Nurse Midwife!

As for my GL...we called it "The car that's in the shop." hehe.

Seriously, CONGRATS on your new addition!!!!
Tam
Old 12-06-2010, 01:01 AM

2011 GL450
[QUOTE= I will someday soon be delivering them myself as a Certified Nurse Midwife!

Tam[/QUOTE]

Very cool Tammy! I am an L&D RN and love it!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by MomsBenz
Very cool Tammy! I am an L&D RN and love it!
Small world!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:09 AM

'15 GL450
CONGRATS!!! Days of sleeping straight through the night are over! Oh, I remember those days..... but it is a labor of love. I do miss holding my baby. Our youngest is already 6 years old and she's a little too heavy for me these days.

I car our GL "your car" since the mrs. mostly drives it. I know, pretty dang original!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the congrats, guys.

Tamz, I think it is cool you are going into midwifery. I saw some clips of hospital deliveries in the US, and it was nothing like here. They had everyone on Pitocin, even moms already in labour. That seemed pretty weird, so I can see how people would want to try something different. Although both of our kids were hospital births, we were in and out of there in a day or so last time and 12 hours this time. Mrs. Brocktoon had no specific plans for natural births, but wound up with one both times, no epidural or anything. This last one got stuck at the shoulder, and that is for sure something I would not want to see happen at home, but the doc was able to resolve it almost right after she called the code, so a whole crew mustered up for nothing.

Anyway, that's it for me. I'm gonna be retired by the time this one graduates high school. I'm getting too old for this stuff.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Mostly, it's "The Beast." Whether that's meant in a good way or a bad way depends on the day! But when it's cold outside, the little V6 sounds like a big monster for a few minutes, and some days I like that, funny enough.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Mostly, it's "The Beast." Whether that's meant in a good way or a bad way depends on the day! But when it's cold outside, the little V6 sounds like a big monster for a few minutes, and some days I like that, funny enough.
Yes, I left the GL on the roof of the hospital. It was about -25c when I got out, and it had a mean sound! Usually it sits in heated parking at home, and at the mall, etc.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Congrats!

Mine is the Black Bear
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the congrats, guys.

Tamz, I think it is cool you are going into midwifery. I saw some clips of hospital deliveries in the US, and it was nothing like here. They had everyone on Pitocin, even moms already in labour. That seemed pretty weird, so I can see how people would want to try something different. Although both of our kids were hospital births, we were in and out of there in a day or so last time and 12 hours this time. Mrs. Brocktoon had no specific plans for natural births, but wound up with one both times, no epidural or anything. This last one got stuck at the shoulder, and that is for sure something I would not want to see happen at home, but the doc was able to resolve it almost right after she called the code, so a whole crew mustered up for nothing.

Anyway, that's it for me. I'm gonna be retired by the time this one graduates high school. I'm getting too old for this stuff.
Yes, Nurse midwifery is another great option for birthing and of course, I am partial to it. A lot of people have a misconception of midwives as ONLY being the "at home birth" type of midwives, no pain-control, etc. But as a CNM, I will not only be an Advanced Nurse Practitioner, but I hope to be able to do all well-women care and gynecological care as well, working under an M.D. in his office. CNM's generally only deliver in hospital settings and I will be able to do normal routine deliveries. No twin births or c-sections. My patients will all have the ability to receive pain control (epidurals, etc) if they WANT that. I always laugh, because most people I talk to envision midwives, in a dark living room, doing a homebirth in a bathtub singing Kumbaya....It's not always like that!

Congrats again!
Tam
Old 12-06-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 slk55 amg, 2011 gl350, lambo gallardo, 800hp supercharged viper
Tamz calls hers "LEMON" . I think she was thinking of changing her license plate to that too...
Old 12-06-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by pteam
Tamz calls hers "LEMON" . I think she was thinking of changing her license plate to that too...
pteam lol... Trust me, I have heard more than my share of "Lemon" jokes ever since we bought this car! hehe..Ironically, we own a 10 acre LEMON RANCH here in Southern California. Can't get more ironic than that, I guess. LOL! Oh well...

Actually, for my daughters, Cheer competition, everyone wrote on their vehicles windows for the drive down there and it reminded me of how I've seen a few vehicles before, with "THIS CAR IS A LEMON" posted all over it..so as I was writing the Cheer stuff on the C300's windows...I had visions of writing, "This SUV IS A LEMON" on my GL's windows....sigh...

Here's my handy dandy C300..which seems to be my "daily driver" these days:

My High-Schooler is a Basketball player, so she had to decorate her own window accordingly.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GL350 - 2007 S550 - 2006 CLK 350 Cab - 2006 E350 4Matic - 2005 SL600 - Old Jeep
GL320, Gil
SL600, 12
260E, Hermann Dieter

Allante, Lil Red

Former Cars:
Escalase, Eski
Cadilac DTS, Tank
Continential, Connie
Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by TamZ
I always laugh, because most people I talk to envision midwives, in a dark living room, doing a homebirth in a bathtub singing Kumbaya....It's not always like that!
Tam
All the ones over here are, Tam, but maybe that's because we likely already get what you are offering from the OBs. The midwives are not allowed in the hospitals here, although you can hire a doula to come to the hospital. They have a midwife birthing house just a few blocks from here where you can go to deliver, if you like or they bring a kiddie pool to your house. There is a huge waiting list, and even though my wife called just about as soon as I started snoring, she was still too late to hire a doula for the birth, their schedules were already full.

Last edited by Brocktoon; 12-06-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon, 2018 E400 Cabriolet
Chuck the truck
Old 12-07-2010, 12:48 AM

All the ones over here are, Tam, but maybe that's because we likely already get what you are offering from the OBs. The midwives are not allowed in the hospitals here, although you can hire a doula to come to the hospital. They have a midwife birthing house just a few blocks from here where you can go to deliver, if you like or they bring a kiddie pool to your house. There is a huge waiting list, and even though my wife called just about as soon as I started snoring, she was still too late to hire a doula for the birth, their schedules were already full.
Ah..Yes, the kiddie pool. I can envision it now! MomsBenz, being a L&D RN would probably know even more than I know about actual CNM births in a hospital. She's in the thick of it! I am still not out of school--Forever a student!

After 9 years of schooling and a Master's level education, I'm not sure most CNM's would be going the home birth route. I think most home births are attended by a regular midwife. (which seems to be the more natural home birth/kiddie pool route.) A CNM can do many things such as prescribe meds, etc. These are things a CM cannot do, if I'm not mistaken. What is wonderful is that more and more insurance companies are covering deliveries by a Certified Nurse Midwife! My husband still doesn't understand why I just didn't go to medical school and become a doctor--there isn't that much difference in the years of schooling, to tell you the truth-- but my heart lies in delivering babies and working under an OB as a CNM is much less expensive, medical malpractice insurance-wise!

But that said, I would have totally delivered mine at home if my husband would have let me I was delivered (well, I actually delivered my children myself as far as pulling them out..lol) by my good friend, who is a CNM. She is who got me started on this path. My births were natural but I am the first to tell a woman, there truly isn't someone waiting at the end of the table to hand you a trophy if you do it natural--epidurals CAN be a wonderful thing and I would never discourage a patient from getting one if she truly felt she needed one.

Gee--I didn't mean to hijack your thread--but hey, we ARE talking about babies and you just added a new one to your bunch!

Tam

Last edited by TamZ; 12-07-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 AM

Tamz, that seems like an awesome career. There is nothing like that here, I think the doctors would blow a head gasket. It is just the sort of thing we need, though.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by TamZ
Ah..Yes, the kiddie pool. I can envision it now! MomsBenz, being a L&D RN would probably know even more than I know about actual CNM births in a hospital. She's in the thick of it! I am still not out of school--Forever a student!
Kaiser has CNM that deliver for them and an OB delivers if the pregnancy was high risk or if it is a c-section. The other hospital I work at the OB's do all the deliveries and there are no CNM's in L&D at all (such a shame!)

Tam good luck with your schooling, I know how that feels. I have thought about going on for CNM or PA but can't bring myself to go back to school. Maybe when the kids are older and not home as much I will pursue that dream

Last edited by MomsBenz; 12-08-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 12-08-2010, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
We call it The Merka Deez!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:16 PM

2009 E 350, MB GL450
My wifes GL "Mrs. White" and my E350 "Mr Black" not very originanl but we feel like Spy's especially when my wife says meet me in the back of "Mrs White"
Old 12-09-2010, 03:43 PM

2010 GL 350 Bluetec
My wife and I call the GL "The Big Car" while her ML is called "The Little Car" or the "Jagermobile". We have a German Shepard named Jager and he does not ride in the GL.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:14 PM

2014 E350 coupe
My wife calls hers "GLAM" short for "glamorous" since the car looks sooo nice... Until you turn it on and it feels like an 18 wheeler on the freeway!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:14 PM

2007 GL450
I called my " The piece of Sh**, because that is what it is/was. I finally got lucky and traded it in for a good SUV. I gave up driving the 450 because every time I started it another problem showed up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New member for GL club! & What do you call your GL?