GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Parktronics question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parktronics question

I noticed that on the GL, the beeping tone only starts when you reach the red point on parktronics. On other cars, I am used to the increasing beeping as you get closer. Seems kind of dangerous to start beeping with only a feet left -- especially when backing out.

Is this something that's configurable by the dealer? Would have been nice to see the rear indicator on the rear view camera as well.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by dougpark714
I noticed that on the GL, the beeping tone only starts when you reach the red point on parktronics. On other cars, I am used to the increasing beeping as you get closer. Seems kind of dangerous to start beeping with only a feet left -- especially when backing out.

Is this something that's configurable by the dealer? Would have been nice to see the rear indicator on the rear view camera as well.
I agree. When you are backing up you have too many things to watch to look at those lights in the top of your rear view mirror. I addressed this issue with my sa and he didn't think they could get it to beep earlier. That doesn't mean it can't be done though.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
It's called cutting corners. Even my Toyota 4Runner has parking sensors that beep in shorter intervals as the vehicle gets closer to an object. It came standard on the SR5. MB has always been behind the times when it comes to "electronic gadgets"; the pos navigation system explains it all.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 12-30-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on searching the other MB forums, some older models sound the beeps earlier (for reverse only) but not on the GL. Does not make any sense.

Not sure if it's cutting corners or cost since the capability is there. MB decided to not enable the beeps until the car enters into the red zone. But I agree when you're reversing, there's too much to watch including mirrors, backup camera monitor. Plus, the rear parktronics indicators are way too far away and small.

Do you guys get used to this?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by dougpark714
Based on searching the other MB forums, some older models sound the beeps earlier (for reverse only) but not on the GL. Does not make any sense.

Not sure if it's cutting corners or cost since the capability is there. MB decided to not enable the beeps until the car enters into the red zone. But I agree when you're reversing, there's too much to watch including mirrors, backup camera monitor. Plus, the rear parktronics indicators are way too far away and small.

Do you guys get used to this?
Parktonics is good for one thing, parking. If you know something is there it will help you avoid it but that is about all it is good for. Make a habit of waiting for the camera to come on BEFORE backing up. After a year and a half of ownership, I still find myself starting to reverse before the camera comes on. Once I realize it isn't on I stop and wait. You have to because there is such a large blind spot behind your GL.