GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Navigation Antenna Cable?!... 07 GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GL450
Navigation Antenna Cable?!... 07 GL450

I have read so many posts on this topic I'm almost blind!? I understand that the Nav antenna is supposed to be in the compartment under the rear seat on the driver's side, along with the tele-aid gear... I have looked *really well* and have concluded is is not there. The tele-aid antenna with the blue connector is there, and plugged in, and I can find the connection about 12" down that cable where the splitter is supposed to go, but I can't find any other coax cables in this space. There are 2 other coax cables that are already plugged in to the opposite end of the tele-aid unit and the only loose cable in the entire area is a blue-ended connector that is not coax - it is pinned, with what looks like a loop-back attached with regular copper wires... HELP?! I have already installed the Nav drive with DVD, and the blue-ended coax cable for the antenna was there and is plugged in, but I can't find the other end. I know it (Nav) can't see the antenna because when I hit the "MAP" button, I get a blank screen. I can look at my "destination" and see it on a map, but that is coming from the DVD. Was there an alternate location for the other end of the nav antenna on early '07 models produced mid-2006? If I have to go with an aftermarket antenna for OEM Nav install, what are you guys buying? Thanks in advance.
-Kelly
Old 01-12-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Have you tried StarTekInfo for the location of the antenna. I've heard that on the '08 models the antenna is in the roof near the rear mood roof. I'd guess that is also where it is on the '07. In the roof makes sense (for whatever that is worth) because of the more unobstructed view of the sky.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
The antenae is under the plexiglass portion of the roof in the back of your vehicle. To access it requires dropping the headliner.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GL450
Thanks for the response guys. I know the antenna receiver is under the plexiglass, and I have found the lead to that piece of the puzzle, as it is used for the tele-aid gear as well. I am supposed to add a splitter to it so I can use it for both tele-aid and Nav. The end of the cable I'm looking for is the other end of the one running from the COMMAND unit in the dash to the equipment bay under the seat. The end at the COMMAND unit is there, and I already plugged it in. I know the other end of that cable is somewhere in the car, I just can't find it!? Just wondering if it might be hidden somewhere else on early GL's.