GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

What's up with the AUX port - 2007 w/RSE and no IPOD interface.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
What's up with the AUX port - 2007 w/RSE and no IPOD interface.

Just purchased my 2007 GL450 Premium Edition and am amazed with almost every aspect. Power, speed, handling, features, style, even MPG...almost enough to make me NOT miss my e46 M3, but finding a couple of things surprising.
1. Didn't expect the '03 BMW nav system to be SO superior. These maps are rubbish and the detail is pathetic.
2. After struggling for days to figure out why I couldn't get sound out of my RSE AUX port to play throughout the car I finally recognized that I can play my IPOD through the RSE aux, but the rear passenger monitor must be on. Is leaving this monitor on really the only way to get sound from my mp3 player through the AUX port?
I understand that the RSE deleted the AUX port that was in the glove box, but is there someway to use the AUX port #2 (or both for that matter) from RSE and return an AUX port to the glove box? It would make mp3 interface viable. Leaving the monitor on doesn't seem like a reasonable option.
3. This forum has some great info, but it is very difficult to find. The e46 forums I came from were more heavily trafficed and while I understand the demographics here are different, I'm still surprised by the lack of a model specific search. Look up IPOD interface and I get pages of C, E, S...class stuff that may or may not pertain to the COMAND unit in the GL.

All in all very pleased with the GL450 and can't wait to tow the boat this spring!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:38 PM
EWT

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
I think you can add the factory ipod interface to a GL that didn't come with it. Another option is a Mobridge, which will add an ipod interface, bluetooth (phone and A2DP) and an aux input. If you just intend to use a ios device, I'd just add the factory interface as the Mobridge has some issues. I have both, and went back to the factory interface with an extension cable to allow the cable to come out of the center console rather than the glove box.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:31 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by EWT
I think you can add the factory ipod interface to a GL that didn't come with it. Another option is a Mobridge, which will add an ipod interface, bluetooth (phone and A2DP) and an aux input. If you just intend to use a ios device, I'd just add the factory interface as the Mobridge has some issues. I have both, and went back to the factory interface with an extension cable to allow the cable to come out of the center console rather than the glove box.
So all those that have RSE have to lose the aux input? That seems quite foolish.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by DrNate
So all those that have RSE have to lose the aux input? That seems quite foolish.
I don't see where you are reading that from his post. I have RSE and the ipod input. You you can add it to the command and it should not be very expensive.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:23 AM

GL450
I meant without adding it afterward, the RSE deletes the aux input. The fact that I have to have the passenger side screen on to get the feed from the rear AUX ports is the bummer. I tried it with the driver side initially and was boggled as to how to get sound out at all. I didn't think to try turning on the other screen until later in the evening.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 AM

2006 E55, 2007 GL450
Interested if you can find a simple solution for this one.. I have RSE on my GL and it's quite annoying that you need the monitor on for the aux in to work. My GL replaced a 2005 Honda Odyssey, and its amazing how primitive the GL feels compared to the Minivan in terms of electronics..

There are aftermarket solutions for this though.. this one being the first promising i've seen: http://www.cartronics.com/MBMost.htm...ss=G/GLK&VIM=1 (Select IPod auxilliary Audio)

You lose the CD Changer - but if you are connecting an Ipod or another MP3 player - it hardly matters.