GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

We have issues with our new 09GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my 2016 gl350
We have issues with our new 09GL450

We just Upgraded from an 06 R350 to an 09 GL450. 1-We knew getting into this that the 2nd row leg room in the GL is smaller than the R. 2-We also knew that access to the 3rd raw in the GL is hard. However, we still wanted the GL and Got it.
The issue is this, on the GL when the 2nd row seat is lifted to get access to the 3rd row, The front passenger seat automatically moves forward to make room behind it. Thus the stored position of the front passenger seat changes. My wife has to adjust the position of her seat every time she sits in the car.
Is this just a bad design? or there is a way to stop the front passenger seat from moving in getting access to the 3rd row. Please let me know.

Two more issue:
-the media cable is very slow in charging our iphone 3gs. any one with this same problem?
-need to know what type of an sd card and how many gig should I get for the smart card reader?

Help Help

Ps: we love the car so far, it is very impresive.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
I agree w/ your assessment that GL's interior space is smaller than R, though strange that in all the MB brochures, the GL dimensions are shown as LARGER than the R-class.
I'm curious, if MB had newer R500 for 2009, would you still buy a GL450?
P.S. I'm sure some of these nice GL owners will come thru w/ answers to your question.
PL
Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
For 09, if the right front passenger seat has memory then it will automatically slide forward when lifting the second row seat cushion up. When you say adjust, I assume you mean that you just have to hold down on the memory button until the seat returns to the stored position. If the memory setting is being lost and you have to readjust all of the seat angles then something is wrong. As far as turning off the auto forward, you might have a hard time getting the second row seat to clear the front seat when rolling it forward if the feature is turned off. I keep the second row headrest up but in its lowest setting and the front seat just goes forward enough for me to roll the second row forward without having to lower the headrest. Having said that, you might be able to get your sa to turn it off. The feature stopped working on my 09 for about three months and I asked my SA to look into it. While they couldn't find out why it stopped working they were able to "reset" the rear SAM and turn it back on. They said that once the SAM gets a fault, it turns the feature off and it remains off until it is reset. Perhaps the sensor that detects the second row seat rolling forward could be disconnected?

There is a post on this forum about a replacement media cable including part number that addresses the charging issue. It should be covered under warranty.