GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Warning: automatic car wash neutral setting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
I've got keyless go and when I open my drivers door to get out (key in pocket) it automatically puts the truck into Park). Did an attendant get in to drive it through, or did it coast on its own. I'm guessing coast on its own as you then mentioned he jumped in and drove away. If thats the case, it went through in park...
Old 07-07-2013, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK 250 BlueTEC
I have not tried what I posted. It was just discussed in the owner's manual under the section on gear selection of auto transmissions.
I think it works by the fact that the key fob remains inside the car the whole time. Perhaps something signals the car to allow the car to remain manually in neutral when it remains in the smart key slot. Seems like a nuisance to have to pull out the keyless go button.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
vehicle will allow "park" mode if invoked when truck is moving (slowly). when that happens one of two things will happen - the parking pawl will find its place and the drivetrain will lock up resulting in a sudden stop. the park pawl might break off and/or other damage might be sustained.

or the parking pawl will cam over and over and over resulting in faint "click, click, click" while truck is moving in what feels like neutral.

on a somewhat related note many vehicles go through the car wash in park. the surfaces are wet and often soapy so the vehicle is just dragged with little drama with its driving wheels locked up.