Hello

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura 1.7EL
Hello

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to this forum. Just wanted to say hello and of course, get as much info as I possibly can.

Due to a failing car (Acura 1.7EL, 250K KM), family changes and constantly on the road, I am looking to purchase a 2007 GL 320 CDI or a 2008 GL 350 Bluetech.
I am interested in this particular vehicle because of it's size (7 passengers), fuel consumption, looks, safety and versatility.
I live in Montreal Canada, and needless to say, we have some crazy weather. Since I also do long distance travelling constantly, I need a vehicle that is reliable.

My question here is; what are the differences between the 2007 and 2008 models? and also, any thoughts on this particular vehicle would be welcomed.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
First off the 2008 is not a Bluetech, which is a positive in my mind. It has the same motor and exhaust as the '07 and is a 320 CDI. Between the '07 and '08...the first year of a new model has issues with most vehicles, this one is no exception. They changed the format of the COMAND system from what I remember reading from many owners - StevethePilot could offer the most detail here. He's had issues with his '07 that I think were pretty common with a number of people, plus a few others. Here's is the link to all his posts - https://mbworld.org/forums/search.ph...nduser&u=55736

From an '08 angle, I've been very pleased with my truck. I have 47K miles on it and have only seen the shop for very minimal things and regular service. The mileage for a truck this size is sick! You'll love it!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Avoid the bluetec unless you are a devout 'greenie'. '08 GL320 allows you to not have to worry about runflats (you have room for a real spare) and you have a wider choice and price spread in tires. Also no Urea fluid to keep filled.
'08 probably had fewer 'off the shelf' issues than '07 because the extra year gave the factory time to make most of the necessary fixes.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
I also understand that CDI gives better millage than BlueTech.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by yasminzeyad
I also understand that CDI gives better millage than BlueTech.
Could you explain who told you that and what the used to support that argument? The differences involve injecting urea into the exhaust system, so I'm not sure how not having that would give much worse or much better mileage?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Also - I would have thought you would want the bluetec.. newer technology, no soot coming out the backend (lol) tailpipes look good as the day you picked it up!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
I would likely get an '08 CDI. Be warned, they are in very high demand in Canada, I was offered $10,000 off a new gas SUV over my lease buyout if I bring turn it in, rather than exercising my buy option. Check Auto Hebdo, you can get a gas GL for much less... May even be worth it to lease a new one (blutech), if they can find one.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 PM

Acura 1.7EL
Thannk you for the input

Thank you all for this info, it is very helpful. Brocktoon, are you in Canada by any chance? I have been doing a bit of research but can't seem to find an '08 GL 320...reasonably priced compared to the km on it. (By the way, I thought that in 2008, it was changed from GL 320 CDI to GL 350 Bluetech.) Furthermore, based on what I have read in the past, it does seem that CDI gives better mileage than the 350 Bluetech.

Of course being environmentally friendly is more of a "necessity" these days and I try to do my part, at home and out. So naturally, I thought the bluetech is much cleaner out of the tailpipe vs the CDI.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by ImmortalBliss
Thank you all for this info, it is very helpful. Brocktoon, are you in Canada by any chance? I have been doing a bit of research but can't seem to find an '08 GL 320...reasonably priced compared to the km on it. (By the way, I thought that in 2008, it was changed from GL 320 CDI to GL 350 Bluetech.) Furthermore, based on what I have read in the past, it does seem that CDI gives better mileage than the 350 Bluetech.

Of course being environmentally friendly is more of a "necessity" these days and I try to do my part, at home and out. So naturally, I thought the bluetech is much cleaner out of the tailpipe vs the CDI.
-If I was not in Canada, why would I be looking at Auto Hebdo?
-Yes, I was trying to warn you that you would have trouble finding a reasonably priced CDI, that's why I tried to warn you... if that makes sense?
-The CDI is plenty clean. It is still sold in most European markets. Bluetec is just a way to satisfy California NOx emissions. You don't have the same risk of atmospheric conditions conducive to photochemical smog driving down to Dunn's as they do on Rodeo Drive, so it is just as clean for your purposes. Get me a smoked meat, extra fat, while you are down there, BTW. I'm going through a Duddy Kravitz phase.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 PM

Acura 1.7EL
Should have read more

Thanks Brocktoon.

Another thing I would like to see more comments on: is it me or does MB need to improve their interior?
I see it as blatant...it's just ...blah! Seating is comfortable, ergonomics is there but I am sure they can make the interior more ...appealing.
Look at the interior of Infinity Q56, Lexus LX/GX 470-570. Sad to say, but even domestics seem to have a nicer interior...look at Ford.

And what is wrong with the TV sticking out of the headrest? Everything.
I love this truck for; 1. MB, 2. Durability, 3. Mileage, 4. versatility...and it's beautiful outside as well, plus it's diesel.
Maybe I am complaining too much. That is what most Canadians do.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 PM

The interior is OK, but getting a bit dated. I have the beige, it looks better in black, with the white stitching, the grey looks very '90's. Overall, I think it is fine, and to be honest, will likely age better than some of the more '50's inspired space age interiors you see on Japanese makes.

If you get an '08, the rear TV will be built into the headrest, not hanging there like the '09 and later, so you have nothing to worry about.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM

2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
T
Look at the interior of Infinity Q56, Lexus LX/GX 470-570. Sad to say, but even domestics seem to have a nicer interior...look at Ford.
After going from the GL to the QX56 recently, I am sad to say I think I agree with this. I hadn't seen the QX before my GL purchase but now that I have the new QX, the interior just DOES something for me that my GL never did. It's amazing.

Tamz
P.S. I just can't seem to get out of this GL forum.

Last edited by TamZ; 03-23-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 AM

GL 350
I have a GL350 ordered, i guess i should have went and looked at others as well. Oh well.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by NevadaNick
I have a GL350 ordered, i guess i should have went and looked at others as well. Oh well.
No worries, You will love your ordered GL! With me, I think it's fair to say that after my experience with my particular GL, it's not surprising that I even found the Huyundai Vera Cruz appealing. I think anything and everything that didn't seem problematic looked good to me!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
I have the black interior and I love it. I can't comment on the other colors. Sure, the Lexus 570 has a plusher interior but I still think the GL has a better interior design. It is a matter of personal preference. Your GL will also handle much better than the Lexus on the freeway. The GL350/320 is one of the most unique vehicles on the road due to it's ability to carry 7 passengers comfortably, tow 7500lbs, drive like a much smaller vehicle than it is, all while achieving 20-30% better fuel economy than anything in it's class. If you care about fuel economy and freeway ride/handling quality, nothing comes close.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by TamZ
After going from the GL to the QX56 recently, I am sad to say I think I agree with this. I hadn't seen the QX before my GL purchase but now that I have the new QX, the interior just DOES something for me that my GL never did. It's amazing.

Tamz
P.S. I just can't seem to get out of this GL forum.
Your QX is a brand new model, the GL came out in 2007...so lets make sure we are not comparing apples to oranges. The gentleman is looking to buy a used vehicle. If I were to compare any other vehicle with the GL in 2007/2008 I would say the GL was the sharpest of the bunch. My black on black is awesome! Sure, the COMAND system sucks, but everything works as it was designed. I'll bet in 2013 when they ship out the new 2014 model...it will be very hot! Look to the S550 for style points.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Well, it's always a good idea to educate yourself about as many of your options as possible, but you can also get opinions from folks here as well. I will tell you without a doubt, I found my 1999 LX470's interior more plush than the GL's. I found the (aftermarket - wasn't an option then) NAV system to be light years beyond what is in my 2007 GL.

I also found the mileage in the LX approached the obscene - on good, level ground with a light load and the cruise control set, I might have gotten 12-13mpg. Yes, the monster V8 was a hell of an engine, but I actually perceive (whether it's true or not) quicker off-the-line movement with the GL's little V6 turbo than I did with the big V8 (thank you torque!)

The LX was an amazing off-road truck (yep, I did take it off road quite a bit, though nothing too harsh). It never once high-centered despite warnings from non-Toyota owners it would, it climbed very nicely with a low-range locking center diff (center only), and kept us all quite comfortable while bouncing through streams and over rocks.

On the highway, in a straight line the LX was pretty nice. In the turns ... well, on the straight parts it was pretty nice. "Pronounced body lean" was the operative phrase when going around corners. It is much more truck-like than car-like. This is one area where the GL excels above the LX in particular. On the highway, I feel like I'm driving an S in the straights and it's not too bad in the turns (though hardly a hot-rod). The interior is much less plush and quite a bit tighter, but the full-flat third row's a whole lot nicer than the LX's setup. And to me, it just feels so much more secure at speed.

You should absolutely love your GL. If it gives you any problems, though, take care of them immediately while they're under warranty (be sure you've got a dealership mechanic you trust and who will work with you) and the extended warranty may well be a worthwhile investment still. (Lots of discussion here about who to go to about those.) Enjoy it!

STP
Old 03-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot

I also found the mileage in the LX approached the obscene - on good, level ground with a light load and the cruise control set, I might have gotten 12-13mpg.

STP
I can say without a doubt, my new vehicle does not get good gas mileage and obscene compared to the GL. On a good day, driving 65, so far at best it barely reaches 14. I guess if compared to my H2 at 10mpg, it's better...but compared to the 19-21 I got around town in the GL and the 23-27mpg I could average on the freeway, the gas mileage in the new beast is just plain BAD! I just try not to think about that!

As for comparing the QX and GL, I only spoke of my QX's interior because he mentioned the QX specifically, and it perked my ears. I actually never really realized/think about my 2011 GL having the same interior as a 2007 GL interior. So in my small brain I just compared a '11GL to my '11 QX. I've never seen the interiors of previous year QX's either. So I agree, I guess you can't really compare the interiors! I do enjoy driving the S550

Tams (who is stuck in the library at the college today because of rain and should really just get off the forums!)
Old 03-23-2011, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
I have the gas 07 GL450..... have driven it hard.....70k miles on it.....have had zero issues.....still have the same brakes....get 14mpg around town and 18 to 20 on trips! The Nav system is a pain, there are some aspects of the interior that ask "is this a $70 dollar car?" but all in all, this vehicle has been terrific ( given that I needed an SUV that would be a cross between comfort and ruggedness )..... all this is why I have ordered a new 2011 GL450. Just keeping the fingers crossed that it will be as problem free!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Very little difference between '07 and '08 models.

Only that I can think of offhand is change in the look of the light switch and elimination of my color, i.e. travertine beige (called desert silver in USA) replaced with one I like better.

I don't care much about urea, but care a lot about runflat tires, so IMHO '08 is the sweet spot for diesel GLs.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad

HI, I am in Ottawa and I am picking up my new 2011 GL350 Bluetech tommorow from the dealer for my wife and little monsters, cant wait as it has the AMG sport package and looks stunning, anyway, the dealer has two GL's I beleive one is a 2007 and the other is a 2008, let me know if you need info, I can PM you the contacts etc. Good luck!!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by lkchris

I don't care much about urea, but care a lot about runflat tires...
Well you won't have a care in the world if you get hit while you are bent over changing a flat along the freeway...
Old 03-24-2011, 02:37 PM

GL 350
Ordered Diamond White with Cashmere Leather. I wanted the heated and ventilated seats as my pickup has them and i love that option.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Could you explain who told you that and what the used to support that argument? The differences involve injecting urea into the exhaust system, so I'm not sure how not having that would give much worse or much better mileage?
I don't know what yaz' source is but the urea injection, at least in theory, allows the EGR to pump a little less exhaust back into the intake because (again in theory) the urea injection can take care of some of the extra NOx. Should be a plus for the mileage but the EPA numbers don't seem to support that. Run flats which are usually heavier that the equivalent 'standard' tires have more rotational inertia and therefore require more power to accelerate - poorer mileage. A tank of urea (enough to last 10,000 miles) adds to the mass that must be accelerated. More energy.
It may also be a factor that the urea injection is merely used to further reduce NOx (compared to an '07-'08) without reducing the EGR volume. Exhaust gas is used to cool the peak combustion temps, which therefore reduces a diesel's inherent efficiency. From an efficiency perspective less EGR is ALWAYS better. If one could make more NOx by using on EGR and then get rid of the NOx by using a urea reaction, a good efficiency number should result. Because the new Blutecs DON"T have such good numbers, something else is going on.
Hope this clears everything up!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:22 AM

The EPA changed their mileage calculation routine for the '09 model year. That just happened to coincide with the introduction of buletec. In reality, yhey are about the same in real world driving, or even likely using the old EPA standards. It eventually comes up on every thread about this subject...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.