GL320 CDI engine ticking noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL320 CDI
GL320 CDI engine ticking noise

Hey everyone!

I am posting this here hoping that someone else experienced this problem. I have a 2008 GL320 CDI (about 40k miles) that developed this random ticking noise. You can see/hear what I am talking about in this youtube video (ignore the video quality, the sound was what I was looking for): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sai7ebWwauU

The noise is noticeable enough for random people to ask me what's going on with the car...

The car is still under warranty, so I should not have to resort to forums for a fix. However, to make a long story short:
1. dealer acknowledged ticking noise
2. dealer replaced 3 (three!) failed injectors, after MB USA took their time testing the fuel, hoping that I ran bio-diesel or something like that.
3. after taking the car home, noise is still there, if anything worse than before.
4. tried to take the car back, MBUSA would not allow me to. Their solution: drive the car for another 2000 miles or so, trying different brands of fuel and see if that fixes it.

I tried two different fuels for about 400 miles, they said "not enough, keep driving"

Now, maybe I am overreacting, but I think that's totally unreasonable. Since nobody knows exactly what is wrong with the engine, I don't know how reliable the car is right now, so I am very hesitant to take my family to long weekend trips (this is our family car). It will take months to go through so many miles when we limit the driving to in-town commutes.

Moreover, the 3 failed injectors could be the effect (not the cause) of whatever is making this noise. Who knows what long-term damage I am doing to the engine by driving it thousands of miles like this. Will MBUSA be there for me when the warranty is over? Highly doubtful.

I've only bought new cars in the past and have never experienced anything like this with other manufacturers when it came to warranty repairs.

Any similar experiences or advice?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by m3flyin2lo
Hey everyone!

I am posting this here hoping that someone else experienced this problem. I have a 2008 GL320 CDI (about 40k miles) that developed this random ticking noise. You can see/hear what I am talking about in this youtube video (ignore the video quality, the sound was what I was looking for): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sai7ebWwauU

The noise is noticeable enough for random people to ask me what's going on with the car...

The car is still under warranty, so I should not have to resort to forums for a fix. However, to make a long story short:
1. dealer acknowledged ticking noise
2. dealer replaced 3 (three!) failed injectors, after MB USA took their time testing the fuel, hoping that I ran bio-diesel or something like that.
3. after taking the car home, noise is still there, if anything worse than before.
4. tried to take the car back, MBUSA would not allow me to. Their solution: drive the car for another 2000 miles or so, trying different brands of fuel and see if that fixes it.

I tried two different fuels for about 400 miles, they said "not enough, keep driving"

Now, maybe I am overreacting, but I think that's totally unreasonable. Since nobody knows exactly what is wrong with the engine, I don't know how reliable the car is right now, so I am very hesitant to take my family to long weekend trips (this is our family car). It will take months to go through so many miles when we limit the driving to in-town commutes.

Moreover, the 3 failed injectors could be the effect (not the cause) of whatever is making this noise. Who knows what long-term damage I am doing to the engine by driving it thousands of miles like this. Will MBUSA be there for me when the warranty is over? Highly doubtful.

I've only bought new cars in the past and have never experienced anything like this with other manufacturers when it came to warranty repairs.

Any similar experiences or advice?

Thanks!
I remember in the 70's the dealer told us to add a quart of ATF to a tank of diesel in a 300SD which limited rattling of the engine but I doubt that is the solution to a modern engine.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Have you tried to pinpoint whether the ticking noise is coming from ontop or from the bottom. Usually, mechanics will have a stethoscope or even a long piece of wood which you would rest on the top somewhere and listen to see if its getting louder. My thought would be its either in the heads or low below in the oil pan (bottom of the crankshaft). From the video its not happening all the time with a pattern so seems to be something odd. Again, I'd start with where its coming from and then see does the frequency increase when you rev it or stay the same? Once you hone in one where its coming from top or bottom, you can try and look more closely in the area to try and see what it exactly is.

I would honestly also try another dealer - maybe one more willing to listen.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM

GL320 CDI
Thanks. As far as I can tell, it's coming from somewhere below, not on top of the engine. Also, it doesn't happen when the engine is cold, starts after driving around for 5 minutes or so. Seems to go away when I rev.

I will definitely go to another dealer next. This being California, they don't see many diesels and I think the current dealer hit a wall on this one. Unfortunately, it's MBUSA showing me no love, not the dealer. If I take it in, since the work is under warranty, the dealer (any dealer) will first have to get MBUSA approval for the work. Thus my disappointment with their so called warranty.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 607 Likes on 515 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Exhaust leak?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Loose heat shield?

- Mark