GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Window Switch snapped off on my GL!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450

I have 2007 GL450 and was wondering if anyone else has had any of the window toggle switches on the driver-side door "snap" off. My wife was gently pulling up on the rear driver-side window switch and it broke off and of course now does not operate.

Below is a pic of the panel, the switch that broke is #4.

If so, anyone been able to order the part and replace themselves? Seems like a very simple part but looks can always be deceiving.

Thanks all
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Imtiaz Kiani (04-30-2023)
Old 07-17-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GL450
Same thing happened to me

Hi,

You have to replace the control module because those switch is held by plastic that when broken cannot be put back. The control module part number is A251 830 00 90 and ask the mercedes benz wholesale parts department that it is for your master control driver side module for your windows. The cost is about $130.

If you want to replace it yourself, you will need to remove the door panel. Very doable if you know where the screws are.

Let me know if you are interested and I will send you pics and instructions.
Imtiaz Kiani (04-30-2023)
Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Smile broken power window toggle switch

Hi, I broke the rear driver size power window toggle switch as well, and also the override switch below it is stuck. Can you send me details on how to fix it myself, if possible? Thanks!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:51 AM

GL450
Originally Posted by brimclau
I have 2007 GL450 and was wondering if anyone else has had any of the window toggle switches on the driver-side door "snap" off. My wife was gently pulling up on the rear driver-side window switch and it broke off and of course now does not operate.

If so, anyone been able to order the part and replace themselves? Seems like a very simple part but looks can always be deceiving.

Thanks all
Hi,

Pop the chrome strip off. it is held with clips. has a bolt to hold the panel onto the door. The second bolt is located where the lock/unlock switch is located. There is a slim piece of plastic located between the lock/unlock switch. u have to squeeze the ends of the slim piece of plastic to take out the lock/unlock switch. Once you take the switch off, there is a bolt that you have to take off.

Once you have both of these bolts taken off, you have to be really careful when you take the door panel off the ribbon wire attached to your door when you remove the door panel. I would make sure a chair is moved under the door so that the seat of the chair will catch the door panel in case it falls down and rips the ribbon wire off the door (this actually happened to me when i removed the door and had to replace the ribbon wire in addition to the master control unit.

releasing the ribbon wire from the rest of the control modules and speaker will allow you to remove the door panel completely and you can take it from there. i have pictures that i have posted on this site that shows you where all the bolts are located.

please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by MLHOM:
eric_in_sd (07-25-2018), idunno271828 (11-29-2020)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:16 AM

GL450
Smile

Hi, thanks for your input. Can you point us to the pictures that you mentioned?

Thank you so much!

Originally Posted by MLHOM
Hi,

Pop the chrome strip off. it is held with clips. has a bolt to hold the panel onto the door. The second bolt is located where the lock/unlock switch is located. There is a slim piece of plastic located between the lock/unlock switch. u have to squeeze the ends of the slim piece of plastic to take out the lock/unlock switch. Once you take the switch off, there is a bolt that you have to take off.

Once you have both of these bolts taken off, you have to be really careful when you take the door panel off the ribbon wire attached to your door when you remove the door panel. I would make sure a chair is moved under the door so that the seat of the chair will catch the door panel in case it falls down and rips the ribbon wire off the door (this actually happened to me when i removed the door and had to replace the ribbon wire in addition to the master control unit.

releasing the ribbon wire from the rest of the control modules and speaker will allow you to remove the door panel completely and you can take it from there. i have pictures that i have posted on this site that shows you where all the bolts are located.

please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 09:58 AM

GL450
Hi,

You have to replace the control module because those switch is held by plastic that when broken cannot be put back. The control module part number is A251 830 00 90 and ask the mercedes benz wholesale parts department that it is for your master control driver side module for your windows. The cost is about $130.

If you want to replace it yourself, you will need to remove the door panel. Very doable if you know where the screws are.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 AM

GL450
You have to replace the control module

Hi,

Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM

GL450
Originally Posted by dchou4u
Hi, thanks for your input. Can you point us to the pictures that you mentioned?

Thank you so much!
here are the pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/1086497...rSidePanelDoor
islandbeef (05-16-2016)
Old 10-31-2011, 10:03 AM

GL450

Thanks all

Here are the pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/1086497...rSidePanelDoor
Old 10-24-2013, 12:48 PM

2007 Gl 450
MLHOM thanks for the help Amigo!!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E350 4-Matic, 2008 B200 (sold), 1998 E200K, 1983 200
Reviving old thread

Same here, but on a B200. Window switch button tabs broken on two of the window switches on the driver's side assembly.

Regarding sticky rear window lockout switch another poster mentioned - a broken tab is probably stuck on the side of the button, that's why it's stuck down. I pried the w.l.switch up carefully with a pick tool, and compressed air to blow any particles out.

I hate the fact Mercedes doesn't sell the individual switches - as far as I know.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:35 PM

mercedes 450
broken switch

Thanks all
do you still have the broken switch as I just need the top left drive window cap / button ?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 AM

GL450

u have to take the internal panel of your door off in order to replace the console from the inside. when you do take your door off, please be careful not to let the door fall down to the ground as there are wires connected and easily can be snapped off. You need a small stool placed under the door when you come to the point of popping the door off the metal frame.

Take your time to study where all the bolts are located and you should be fine.

It is worth going thru this exercise and not really that difficult.

Thanks
William
Old 08-26-2014, 12:19 AM

2009 r320 cdi bluetec
Does anyone have the driver side or rear driver side switches my unit is fine just that cheap 2 cent plastic broke off...They look like they can be clicked in if the bottoms are not broken off...Nice scam MB has making this part with cheap plastic that break off and then making you but the whole unit...they don't make em like they use to...
Old 09-29-2014, 01:54 AM

GL450 2007
I have the same problem as well. This is such a pain in the a$$. I was able to still let my driver's side window, until Mercedes Walnut Creek, CA. incompetent service tech further damaged it. I'm sure they did that in order to make me replace it. The part is around $600 dollars, not to mention the labor cost. Such AH'S
Old 09-29-2014, 01:55 AM

GL450 2007
Same problem here.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:30 PM

2006 ml 350
Ok guy, because i JUST fixed this on my ml 350. I will tell u that you DONT have to but the module if u want to nust get you window botton fixed. Yes its true. Mercedes does what they always do and built cheap parts thats shared with the whole benz family. Seeing as how this issue effects c class, ml, gl, e, on most other models. You would thin the would just sell the bottons. But they dont. First let me say you do Not have to take it out to fix it. The botton all come out if you pop them up from the back side of the bottons(facing the rear ofthe car) so what i did was take out all the botton and switched the back drivers side widow botton with the front drivers side botton (same module) you have to modify the botton to match the front by cutting the botton with wire cutters and razor blade to make straight but you will see what you have to cut off the fix once both bottons are examined. It was a 1 hour fix and 300 dollars that stayed in my pocket and not to the stealerships. Yea my back botton doesnt work from the driver door anymore. But i just use the rear door to roll up the rear door window. Msg me if you want pics.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:03 PM

2009 r320 cdi bluetec
i just order the buttons of ebay... a guy sells them in Turkey and the snap right on in.
the only thing is that they do not light up when you lights are on, I guess the plastic is thicker...but I can live with that!
Old 11-23-2014, 11:56 AM

08 GL450
Yup, this has happened to me too.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:00 PM

2007 GL 450
Originally Posted by danbokem
i just order the buttons of ebay... a guy sells them in Turkey and the snap right on in.
the only thing is that they do not light up when you lights are on, I guess the plastic is thicker...but I can live with that!
Do you happen to have the link to this seller?
Old 07-21-2015, 01:50 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by danbokem
Do you still have the link to "the guy from Turkey" who sell the window toggle switches on Ebay?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2015, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 807 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The whole switch assembly is only $140 on Ebay.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:19 AM

2010 ML350 bluetec
Talk about flimsy design!! Ha, so much for superior german engineering. Likewise for my 2010 ML350 about a week back I broke the rear left power window button of the drivers master window assembly (button #4 from original post pic). Options were around $200 from authorized online MB retailer, $140 from Ebay (of course plus shipping). I ended up doing a little leg work via the "fresh road kill" route. Ended up finding a "donor" 2008 GL at a nearby autowrecker for approximate 1/2 discount off the Ebay option all in (taxes + shipping + a small eco/environment fee). Ironically, but not surprising given the german engineering, the same #4 button was busted in the assembly I got from the auto wrecker.

Anyhow, as described in the thread the buttons just pop off via screwdriver, carefully prying up at the rear of the button. I used button #1 from the donor part to replace my busted #4 button. Anyhow, I still have 2 viable donor buttons for the right windows, but I better be extra careful with the left side buttons as I got no more backup buttons!!
Old 04-02-2016, 04:01 PM

2007 Mercedez GL350
Thanks! This worked beautifully

Originally Posted by Ml350-2006
Ok guy, because i JUST fixed this on my ml 350. I will tell u that you DONT have to but the module if u want to nust get you window botton fixed. Yes its true. Mercedes does what they always do and built cheap parts thats shared with the whole benz family. Seeing as how this issue effects c class, ml, gl, e, on most other models. You would thin the would just sell the bottons. But they dont. First let me say you do Not have to take it out to fix it. The botton all come out if you pop them up from the back side of the bottons(facing the rear ofthe car) so what i did was take out all the botton and switched the back drivers side widow botton with the front drivers side botton (same module) you have to modify the botton to match the front by cutting the botton with wire cutters and razor blade to make straight but you will see what you have to cut off the fix once both bottons are examined. It was a 1 hour fix and 300 dollars that stayed in my pocket and not to the stealerships. Yea my back botton doesnt work from the driver door anymore. But i just use the rear door to roll up the rear door window. Msg me if you want pics.

Thanks, this worked like a charm! my local dealership quoted us $1,000 to replace the console. We popped off the broken button and swapped it for the rear passenger button on the driver's console. We did have to cut a small corner piece of plastic on the replacement button to make it fit (as mentioned in the thread above). We just used an exacto-knife and removed this little black plastic tab. Eventually we will replace the whole console (PelicanParts.com) so that we can operate the rear window from the driver's console - but for now - this is a perfect fix!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
Isn't that sickening, the Dealer wanted $1,000! How could that possibly be? We replaced ours about two months ago. Purchased the whole assembly online (from a MB Dealer). It took me about 45 minutes to replace it.

Our multi-contour seat adjustments stopped working many months ago. The Dealer quote ~$750. I finally found a rebuilt unit online for $150. I SWEAR it took less than ten minutes to install. Now things are perfect again.

Sheez, I am all about them making a profit but many of their quotes are a total rip-off. I feel sorry for the people that cannot do any of the repairs themselves.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window Switch snapped off on my GL!