GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

gl320cdi start up acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl320 cdi
gl320cdi start up acceleration problems

2008 120000 miles. My vehicle won't accelerate going up hills hardly at all . Occurs with first start up of the day (outsidetemp makes no difference). Can drive it 5 miles then turn off and restart and runs fine. Any ideas-- my mechanic cant find problem. When first happened two fuses 15 and 30 in command module box blew but no warning lights or fuses blown since then.

Thanks for help.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:02 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by schusker
2008 120000 miles. My vehicle won't accelerate going up hills hardly at all . Occurs with first start up of the day (outsidetemp makes no difference). Can drive it 5 miles then turn off and restart and runs fine. Any ideas-- my mechanic cant find problem. When first happened two fuses 15 and 30 in command module box blew but no warning lights or fuses blown since then.

Thanks for help.
i would start with simple things- replace fuel filter...
Old 05-19-2011, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Read codes...if it's limp mode it should trigger some code.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI

Thanks for help.
You say 'my mechanic' can't find the problem. Does your mechanic have the latest (2008) software to read the codes - if any. IF unsure you may have to pay a dealer for a diagnostic scan and troubleshoot.
Unlikely to be a fuel filter if the problem 'goes away' after a restart. Plugged filters don't fix themselves that way!
Lack of power going up hills may be caused by the Engine Control Unit (ECU) not putting enough fuel in because it believes there isn't enough air from the turbo. This can be caused by a sensor going bad [mass air flow, temp, pressure, etc]. It tries to match the fuel flow to the air flow and if it doesn't think there is enough air, it cuts back on the fuel. A sensor going bad also fits the intermittent nature of the problem (runs fine after restart).
Good luck
Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl320 cdi
Yeah there were like 60 error codes and no new ones. The codes did not really help...he can read these and i have the print out. My mechanic is saying some of the same things but does not know how to isolate which sensor.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Yeah there were like 60 error codes and no new ones. The codes did not really help...he can read these and i have the print out. My mechanic is saying some of the same things but does not know how to isolate which sensor.
I had the same problem when I took mine in for an intermittent false ABS warning - and resultant cruise control disconnect. He (my local indy) got lots of codes in the readout, but nothing that seemed to match the real world. His software for reading the MB was a bit out of date (It would have cost him $25K to update it) and thus the results were confusing at best. We ended up ordering a wheel speed sensor which I never installed because the problem is so intermittent I'm not convinced the wheel sensor is the issue. [The car will go for days - weeks without dropping out the cruise, and then, after a pit stop on the freeway, the cruise won't hold in for 50 miles! After that its OK! Go figure!I'm not going to even think about taking it to the dealer until I can make the problem happen 'on demand'.