GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL450 rear main seal (crankshaft seal) oil leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
gl550
GL450 rear main seal (crankshaft seal) oil leak

My wife GL450 (45K miles) rear main seal (crankshaft seal) oil leak, and I have to fill in 2qrts/every 5K miles. I called MB and they told me that's normal for GL450. I did not trust them and I was down under the car checking for oil leak and I found oil leaking around the flywheel (between engine and trans). I brought car in for service and they called and told me technician checked and there's nothing leaking " Oil consumption is normal for all GL". I was really mad and told them " I was under the car and oil leak right @rear main seal "crankshaft seal". Finally the service guy said" he'll go to the shop and check it out by himself". Then, he called me back and told me "Yes, it is oil leaking"... Now the car is still @ the service since Friday last week.
I just want to let other people know that, sometime "technician they don't want to do a big jobs or whatever reasons....they refuse or clean up the oil leak.
Anyone has this problem before?? please input.
Thank you..
Old 06-10-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
gl550
check out this link ...

Originally Posted by EmilyMB
My wife GL450 (45K miles) rear main seal (crankshaft seal) oil leak, and I have to fill in 2qrts/every 5K miles. I called MB and they told me that's normal for GL450. I did not trust them and I was down under the car checking for oil leak and I found oil leaking around the flywheel (between engine and trans). I brought car in for service and they called and told me technician checked and there's nothing leaking " Oil consumption is normal for all GL". I was really mad and told them " I was under the car and oil leak right @rear main seal "crankshaft seal". Finally the service guy said" he'll go to the shop and check it out by himself". Then, he called me back and told me "Yes, it is oil leaking"... Now the car is still @ the service since Friday last week.
I just want to let other people know that, sometime "technician they don't want to do a big jobs or whatever reasons....they refuse or clean up the oil leak.
Anyone has this problem before?? please input.
Thank you..

I have searched more about MB and GL 450 problems. You guys check out this link... http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gl-c...n-service.html