GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL450 Lower engine housing oil leak (not oil pan)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
gl550
GL450 Lower engine housing oil leak (not oil pan)

Anyone has the problem with lower engine housing oil leaking?
We brought in service to replace the rear main oil seal (took 10 days to finish). Got it home, the next day even got (worse) more oil leak underneath of engine. Brought back in (7 days now), they called and told us "lower engine housing oil leaking and has to be replaced new one"..
Anyone has this problem, or oil leaking underneath of engine, please share..thanks
Old 07-12-2011, 01:18 AM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E550
Originally Posted by EmilyMB
We brought in service to replace the rear main oil seal (took 10 days to finish). Got it home, the next day even got (worse) more oil leak underneath of engine. Brought back in (7 days now), they called and told us "lower engine housing oil leaking and has to be replaced new one"..
Anyone has this problem, or oil leaking underneath of engine, please share..thanks

Same here.... have an appointment at the dealership this coming Wednesday. Issue started 6 months back and first they noted it was the power steering and corrected the issue. Went back since oil leak was still there and this time it was oil breather valve and corrected it. The problem went away and now it's back, oil is leaking and dripping quite a bit. I'll know more on what the issue is on Wednesday. Will keep you posted.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
gl550
Pardesi,
hope your car will not have problem as mine.
My Gl450 50K miles is still at MB service 10days now, they called today and told me that they changed brand new oil pan and brand new lower engine housing. They tested drive for 75miles, oil is still leaking and dripping again right at the same spot. ( by the seal between engine block and lower housing engine.). They called engineers from MB center to come down and check before they open the engine out and change new engine block. They think the crack is inside of the engine block.
(lucky that the car is still under extended warranty)
I will let you know what they are going to do next.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by EmilyMB
on topic but a different car. I have a 2009 C63 AMG with 32k miles. I lifted the hood the other day and noticed oil sprayed all over the underhood and on most of the engine and upper radiator hose. I determined that the oil was leaking from the oil housing because of a bad gasket.

Dealer said they would replace the gasket and clean off the oil. I went to pick my car up this past Saturday and it didn't even look like they did ANYTHING!! I'm giving them the chance to make it right and I strongly demanded that they change that hose because it appears to be compromised from the oil in my opinion. They are having the car re-inspected. I'll be out of warranty on 10/28/12 (4yr/50k). I didn't purchase an extended but now I'm thinking...hmmm? maybe I should. Ugh. I just want them to make it right. I've seen a few oil housing gasket threads on Mercs.

e
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
On the 273/272 engine when doing a rear main seal you must put the sealant for the rear plate on the engine block side, not on the plate. Otherwise, you will miss the area that needs to be sealed for the "block drain"(in the V of the engine) and oil will return. Not sure if this is what happened, but guys have made the mistake before learning the hard way.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 CLK430 '02 SL600 Silver Arrow '14 GL350 Bluetec '80 Rolls-Royce Corniche Coupe
Can Also be the oil line to the brake vacuum pump

I had the oil line to the vacuum pump fail on my '09 GL320 at about 25K miles - it dumped lots of oil.