GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Turning on Rear DVD automatically?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 GL 450
Turning on Rear DVD automatically?

Is there a setting in a 2011 GL that would not require me to start the truck, put in the DVD and then get OUT of the truck open rear doors after I have my two sons in there (1 and 6) then use the remote to turn on the rear headrest screents? Getting kind of old after just a week.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:44 PM

2010 E350 Coupe, 2010 GL350 Bluetec
I don' think you need to start the car to have the rear seat entertainment turned on. You can turn it on right after you buckle up your sons, before you get to the front. The other way is to train your 6 year-old to operate the remote control. The first thing my daughter learned when we got the truck almost 2 years ago was the remote control, she just turned 4 then. Kids are pretty good with those things you know.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'13 CLS550, '17 Q7, '11 G550
I do the same thing...my 3 yr old isn't great at using the remote so if I just have her, I turn on the screen with the remote without turning on the car after I get her buckled into the car seat. If my 5 yr old is with me, he just does it himself - and he turns on my daughters side as well..

Originally Posted by fs1013
I don' think you need to start the car to have the rear seat entertainment turned on. You can turn it on right after you buckle up your sons, before you get to the front. The other way is to train your 6 year-old to operate the remote control. The first thing my daughter learned when we got the truck almost 2 years ago was the remote control, she just turned 4 then. Kids are pretty good with those things you know.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 PM

'11 GL 450
Will try it before starting. I guess I just assumed the power to the DVD heads was not hot until in position 1 on the start.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:05 AM

2010 E350 Coupe, 2010 GL350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Heabuyer
Will try it before starting. I guess I just assumed the power to the DVD heads was not hot until in position 1 on the start.
Just to make sure we are on the same page, you can only play the DVD in the back (the one in between the two front seats) without the COMAND running. To play one of the DVD(s) inside the front console, you need to have it in position 1, as you indicated.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 AM

'11 GL 450
I think that is what led me down this path. Right now I don't insist that the children in back wear headphones. So, I start it up and then get the DVD rolling from the front interface. Otherwise, the rear DVD audio is only available through headsets right?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
Originally Posted by Heabuyer
I think that is what led me down this path. Right now I don't insist that the children in back wear headphones. So, I start it up and then get the DVD rolling from the front interface. Otherwise, the rear DVD audio is only available through headsets right?
At least in the 2009, you can have the rear DVD audio play through the main speakers by selecting "rear" or "aux" on the COMAND unit. I'm not in front so I'm not positive which one, but I believe it is "rear." Obviously there is no video up front though.

One issue about using the rear DVD is controlling it. If the DVD stops and gets to a menu, you do have to use the rear remote to select "play."

What I've done is taken most of my girls' DVD's and ripped them to my computer and then burned a new DVD. Usually I can fit more episodes of Barney, Leapfrog, etc. onto one DVD and it gets rid of all the trailers and promos. So I just pop the DVD in and it starts playing. Plus I don't have to worry about them scratching the original DVD.

But if I had to do it over again I might not even get the RSE and just get an Ipad attachment to the headrests and some bluetooth headphones. My 2 year old knows how to use the ipad to find her videos!