Bad steering racks on 07-09's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450
Piling on

Originally Posted by bha
My rack is fine (I hope ) but I've always been worried about replacement cost.

Seems the price of these are coming down as there are more and more rebuildable cores.

Cardone part #26-4022 is the rack for our trucks. Cardone is a very reliable rebuilder. As someone mentioned, I'd rather have one that Cardone rebuilt (as their steering guys rebuild racks all day long) than an MB rebuilt that some tech probably rebuilds 5 of in a year.

Did a search and that part # is $347 at PartsGeek. Also saw them for sale in the other usual places (eBay etc) and all are under $600.

Definitely get a Cardone one as the price is very reasonable and it will for sure be a good rack.
For those that think they can wait....don't! My GL 450 had a leak that I let go, the leak degraded the bushing which mounts the rack to the frame, the degraded bushing is allowing the whole rack to slide around almost freely with any attempted move. Steering feels like a toddler on ice skates instead of a precision german automobile!

Leaning towards the rebuilt rack....out of use for days.....
Old 02-15-2018, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes ML500 & Subaru Legacy
Replacing the 2 Blueish O rings

Originally Posted by Varmintpro
Took the hoses out from the top of the rack (where they attach to the solenoid) and replaced the 2 O-rings. (wasn't sure which was leaking). So far not a drip after 3 days and it was laking pretty heavily before. Hopefully problem solved with only a few bucks in O-rings (the green ones) and a liter of ATF.
Hello,
When you replace the to O rings where did you buy the replacement orring's from? And also where they stand there O rings or were they some type of a special O ring such as high pressure, etc..? My last question to you would be where the O rings that you put on blue as well or just black ones?

-Thank You & Hope to hear from you soon as I am doing this job in the next day or 2
Old 03-14-2018, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Mercedes S550, 2015 Mercedes GL350
Mine starting pulling to the right and was twitchy on the highway. I think what happens is the two tie rods don't move exactly together with internal wear and the the toe in/out changes slightly while driving. They wouldn't replace it though under warranty until I found a leak at the steering shaft input. After the replacement the drove like a different car. Down the road straight. No more pulling and twitchiness on the highway. I was lucky I pushed the dealer during the warranty period. It was a common problem as I remember reading about it before buying mine. Helped made me look in the area of the rack.