GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

who is the GL guru in this section?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,096 Likes on 883 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Keep us updated and make two or three copies while you are at it. Who are you going to have tune the ECU?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Anybody else think this guy is gonna be posting over the next couple of years about how unreliable his GL is and why can't MBZ engineer it better?

- Mark, been on the 'Net a long time
Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Keep us updated and make two or three copies while you are at it. Who are you going to have tune the ECU?
LOL, always the tricky question. Not sure yet, as my wife wanted a SC but I explained a few challenges and now she is cool with a 4-5 PSI single turbo. I dont want to do a big complex build. Just pick up 50-70 RWHP , help with towing and allow here to kill a few stangs from light to light.

Today, 01:47 AM #27
mdadgar
Garage is empty, add now

Anybody else think this guy is gonna be posting over the next couple of years about how unreliable his GL is and why can't MBZ engineer it better?

- Mark, been on the 'Net a long time
I assume you are calling me a Beeach/hipocrate now? Do you have other post by me or facts to back up that I complain about AMG or Mercedes relability , after I mod the F _ _ _ K out of the car/SUV?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 12-21-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
LOL, always the tricky question. Not sure yet, as my wife wanted a SC but I explained a few challenges and now she is cool with a 4-5 PSI single turbo. I don't want to do a big complex build. Just pick up 50-70 RWHP , help with towing and allow here to kill a few stangs from light to light.

I assume you are calling me a Beeach/hipocrate now? Do you have other post by me or facts to back up that I complain about AMG or Mercedes relability , after I mod the F _ _ _ K out of the car/SUV?
Easy my friend

Don't let nuts that do not know you upset you. You are one of the KINGS of modding, and I KNOW you will get her done

PS: Never argue with an idiot, as they will only bring you down and beat you up with years of experience.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 PM

No, I'm saying that I've spent years and years watching people try to turn cars into something they are not and then complain about it.

You may well be the exception, but the odds are not in your favor.

- Mark
Old 12-21-2011, 02:37 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by mdadgar
No, I'm saying that I've spent years and years watching people try to turn cars into something they are not and then complain about it.

You may well be the exception, but the odds are not in your favor.

- Mark
Fair enough but I do not think there is a definition to what you can turn a car into. We buy it, we can do what we want.. Most of us that race and push limits of our vehicles; have a well know saying. " Have to pay to play".. BTW, the GL450 and 550 has one of the most advanced race type motors around in it. Someone may want to tell Mercedes (please don`t) about turning a car/suv into what it is not. These GL`s run mid 14`sss! That is what most 60`s muscle cars ran in the peak. 15 years ago, mid 14 second car was a BEAST!!

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Easy my friend

Don't let nuts that do not know you upset you. You are one of the KINGS of modding, and I KNOW you will get her done

PS: Never argue with an idiot, as they will only bring you down and beat you up with years of experience.
LOL, I know but take chances sometimes.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Fair enough but I do not think there is a definition to what you can turn a car into. We buy it, we can do what we want.. Most of us that race and push limits of our vehicles; have a well know saying. " Have to pay to play"..
Yeah, thanks, I race too. E36 325is set up for wheel-to-wheel road racing - race motor, full cage, data acquisition, aero, etc.

The reality is that many, many other parts of the car become the weak spot once you've upgraded the driveline. I have a relatively mild motor build (per class rules) that's still almost 50% up on the stock drivetrain. In two years, I've been through 5 transmissions, a ton of drivetrain mounts, several sets of wheel bearings, etc. Not to mention brake components that were just fine at stock power levels but throw their hands up in the air at the car's current speed capability.

The car is just capable of higher loads now than it was designed to handle stock.

BTW, the GL450 and 550 has one of the most advanced race type motors around in it. Someone may want to tell Mercedes (please don`t) about turning a car/suv into what it is not. These GL`s run mid 14`sss! That is what most 60`s muscle cars ran in the peak. 15 years ago, mid 14 second car was a BEAST!!
It ain't the motor I'd be worried about. Transmission is the weak spot, IMHO, especially if you plan to tow with a boosted motor.

As you said: your car, your call, your bills.

- Mark
Old 12-21-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Nissan Altima 2.5S, 07 MB GL450
LOL, always the tricky question. Not sure yet, as my wife wanted a SC but I explained a few challenges and now she is cool with a 4-5 PSI single turbo. I dont want to do a big complex build. Just pick up 50-70 RWHP , help with towing and allow here to kill a few stangs from light to light.
I've killed my friend's 06 Mustang V6 (not the GT version) from a small roll and from a dead stop to 90 mph.

With a turbo, you should be killing Mustang GTs! But not the newer ones 2011+ they're totally different.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,096 Likes on 883 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Mercedes over engineers the engines and transmission and usually does not come close to the limits. They often use the same transmission across multiple lines and hp levels. It is cheaper to build them all to a higher standard since you get a greater economy of scale in production. I have no doubt that the engine and tranny can easily handle an additional 100 HP.

I'm looking forward to your progress. Forced induction is the way to go and a turbo will be the best method to acheive your results. I think two smaller turbos would be best but it adds to the expense and complexity.