GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2013 Acadia Denali a contender?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by aggst1
Really? Just because it has unibody construction and seats 7 it can be compared to any other vehicle that has these attributes? Wow! I guess you are ignoring differences in handling, height, off road abilities, clearance etc.

If you want to compare the JX with any Benz it will be the R class. There is a reason MB called the R class back in 2004 when they first unveiled it a sports tourer. You can cruise for 16 hours with minimal stops and not be very tired. It's designed for long drives. It drives more like car. GL drives more like a SUV and directly competes with QX. Plain and simple. Much more than appellations.
Wow, you are truly a marketers' dream target. Imagining and defending all sorts of product differences and advantages when none exist. All three are about 70 inches wide, 200 inches long and around 70 inches tall (depending if you count roof racks or not). have roughly the same power and a full-time AWD system. They seat 7, are on a unibody platform, and are made by premium manufacturers. They are far more similar in all the attributes you claim differentiates them than you seem to realize. As for capability, I doubt any of these will see duty more severe than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaVYxewX1iM&t=0m32s
Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Wow, you are truly a marketers' dream target. Imagining and defending all sorts of product differences and advantages when none exist. All three are about 70 inches wide, 200 inches long and around 70 inches tall (depending if you count roof racks or not). have roughly the same power and a full-time AWD system. They seat 7, are on a unibody platform, and are made by premium manufacturers. They are far more similar in all the attributes you claim differentiates them than you seem to realize. As for capability, I doubt any of these will see duty more severe than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaVYxewX1iM&t=0m32s

Hmm, you 're right! It's all a marketing scam by the car manufacturers. All of 'em, as long as they make cars that got unibody construction and 7 seats, and what else,... , 4 wheels !!! , they can get us suckers to buy 'em... Cause after all, we wouldn't know the difference, would we?

The fact that you can't tell the difference between CUV and SUV driving characteristics explains your comment about the Infiniti being the new class killer.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by aggst1
Hmm, you 're right! It's all a marketing scam by the car manufacturers. All of 'em, as long as they make cars that got unibody construction and 7 seats, and what else,... , 4 wheels !!! , they can get us suckers to buy 'em... Cause after all, we wouldn't know the difference, would we?

The fact that you can't tell the difference between CUV and SUV driving characteristics explains your comment about the Infiniti being the new class killer.
How do you characterize your GL then? SUV? It has the fastest slalom speeds of any large 7 seater as tested by Motorweek. Truly a car-like characteristic. Must be a CUV, then? How about the Acadia?

These categories, especially cross-over (which initially were intended for car or van based vehicles like the Chevy Uplander, which were to have "cross over appeal" to buyers or people with aspirations to an SUV, based on styling) are largely an American construct. I travel a lot, and all the vehicles we are talking about would be called "offroader" in Europe & Asia or in Canada "truck", with the exception of the R, which would attract the description "people mover" or "van" (and is marketed as such), everywhere else in the world.

To me, and I think most people care less about where in some marketeers market segmentation their vehicle lies, and more as how they function, and how they perform the roles the family sets for them. In that case I stand by my assertion that the JX and GL occupy the same general market segment, would likely be cross-shopped by buyers, and currently, the JX is likely the most interesting buy in the segment.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
Interesting discussion going on here. I guess much like Brockton, I ended up with the GL as I was cross shopping different vehicles to suit my needs. I'm going to check out the Acadia when it comes out. I'll likely end up with that or a 2012 GL on inventory clearance. I'm happy to drive American.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
How do you characterize your GL then? SUV? It has the fastest slalom speeds of any large 7 seater as tested by Motorweek. Truly a car-like characteristic. Must be a CUV, then? How about the Acadia?

These categories, especially cross-over (which initially were intended for car or van based vehicles like the Chevy Uplander, which were to have "cross over appeal" to buyers or people with aspirations to an SUV, based on styling) are largely an American construct. I travel a lot, and all the vehicles we are talking about would be called "offroader" in Europe & Asia or in Canada "truck", with the exception of the R, which would attract the description "people mover" or "van" (and is marketed as such), everywhere else in the world.

To me, and I think most people care less about where in some marketeers market segmentation their vehicle lies, and more as how they function, and how they perform the roles the family sets for them. In that case I stand by my assertion that the JX and GL occupy the same general market segment, would likely be cross-shopped by buyers, and currently, the JX is likely the most interesting buy in the segment.
In order to add value to the thread and the forum in general we should postpone this discussion for later in the year when both the JX and the new GL will be out. Then we can compare them head to head as it would be unfair to compare a new Infiniti model with the current GL. I still stick to my comment that these two are in different categories but I also see your point about being in the general direction where the buying public will look at. I happen not to only frequently travel to Europe but to be from Europe and also know that cars like the GL are considered large trucks whereas what we consider crossovers in NA they usually call multi-purpose-vehicles.
Sure the CUV is not a new platform. Automakers took existing SUVs and retuned suspensions , maybe even changed tires, lowered the center of gravity and took out any locking diff or any low gears and usually converted them to full time AWDs. So my point is that the difference is in the details. For example, my last car was the R500 and I took it to over 100 mph without feeling unsafe. Can't say the same for my Grand Cherokee I had in the past. And not to knock the Jeep down for vibrating at high speeds and giving me the sense that I am out of my mind, but it is designed for another purpose.

Last edited by aggst1; 02-13-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: syntax
Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450, 2006 Porsche 911, 2004 VROD
Originally Posted by ddcha
Interesting discussion going on here. I guess much like Brockton, I ended up with the GL as I was cross shopping different vehicles to suit my needs. I'm going to check out the Acadia when it comes out. I'll likely end up with that or a 2012 GL on inventory clearance. I'm happy to drive American.
Try new 2012/3 Dodge Durango, based on Mercedes platform for competitive price, very good capable family SUV.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
Originally Posted by ksdprasad
Try new 2012/3 Dodge Durango, based on Mercedes platform for competitive price, very good capable family SUV.
Thanks for the suggestion. I test-drove the R/T version, and it was definitely pretty nice. Felt a little tight inside for some reason though compared to the GL. Wife didn't like it though because she felt she would be driving a boy toy - she's the primary driver.