GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Right rear end a little low

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GL320
Right rear end a little low

So last night I noticed that the right rear end was sagging a little low. Just roughly measuring between the wheel and fender it looked like the right was about 1" lower than the left.

In the morning it was the same. I couldn't hear the compressor running.

I called the dealership, they said to try raising it up and back down to see if it can recalibrate itself.

It rises up no problem. Then I press the button again to lower, and it says its lowering but its not. I waited a little while maybe a minute and nothing seemed to be happening. I shut the engine off, back on again, tried lowering, still nothing. So I tried driving it a short distance and it looks like it lowered right away. I just drove for a minute around the block.

Now thats its lowered again the right rear end is still a good inch below the left.

Told the guy at the dealership this and he said that he's seen the system act really slow when its cold out (its like 32F outside right now). He thought I should drive around for a couple days to see if it goes away before I bother to bring it in.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 10:55 AM

320 CLK
Hi, i had the same problem at the front. The ride height sensor is attached to the suspension (Front and rear) by a plastic arm, via 2 ball joints, one at each end. If the ball joints seize the arm bends and does not adjust the ride height sensor. I unbolted the ball joints pulled them from the cups, cleaned them off added some plastic grease and reassembled them. Job Done. I hope your fix is as simple.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 AM

2009 GL320
I'm thinking my problem is similar to this. It hasn't changed over time. Its more or less a constant difference. Would you be able to take a picture of the read sensor? (Just so I can see where to find it

Thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 11:49 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Just get under the rear and look up. They are there and you can't mistake them. mine also seized and started squeaking. Btw, the rear brackets for the sensors can be bent by accident and will cause the sensor to read bad. You can use pliers to the tune the rear height (and washers for the front).But be advised that if you have to do that to get the truck level something ain't right. A das calibration might've your better option.

Btw, truck will not raise/ lower when a door is open.

Last edited by alx; 08-08-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 PM

2009 GL320
okay, found them. The ball joints don't seem seized. I can wiggle the plastic arm around on both sides. Is there a calibration procedure that can be done? Or some way of testing the sensor?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by hotshot
okay, found them. The ball joints don't seem seized. I can wiggle the plastic arm around on both sides. Is there a calibration procedure that can be done? Or some way of testing the sensor?
Yes. You can test the sensors and adjust the suspension at all four corners independently with das. There is no "field" calibration if lowering and raising the truck once does not do the trick.