GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Airmatic air discharge noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Mercedes S550, 2015 Mercedes GL350
Airmatic air discharge noise

My airmatic makes the normal hissing noises as it raises and lowers the vehicle. However during it's discharge of air I get a very loud noise of air rushing and a thumping noise from the right front of the vehicle. This happens when I'm lowering the vehicle from it's raised position and also while driving in the lowered position. I've gotten used to it but it's the sort of abrubt noise that would startle someone standing beside the vehicle if it was stopped. Is this possibly the beginning of a failing compressor unit or a release valve?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 ML 350 in Europe & 12 GL 350 Avantgarde in Canada
Hi Ray,

No hissing so far but since a couple of months I hear that loud noise from the front right, 2 or 3 times after closing the passenger door, some other times while driving. It's quite loud. Have you found out the cause? I am due for service B next week and would like to use your experience if possible to guide the service guys. Thanks and regards !
Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray_K
My airmatic makes the normal hissing noises as it raises and lowers the vehicle. However during it's discharge of air I get a very loud noise of air rushing and a thumping noise from the right front of the vehicle. This happens when I'm lowering the vehicle from it's raised position and also while driving in the lowered position. I've gotten used to it but it's the sort of abrubt noise that would startle someone standing beside the vehicle if it was stopped. Is this possibly the beginning of a failing compressor unit or a release valve?
You should really use the search function on this site.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Mercedes S550, 2015 Mercedes GL350
Dealer replaced the device that is suppose to muffle the discharge air from the airmatic. It's located above the right front fender well. I still here the unit making noise when air discharges but it's not nearly as loud as before. Usually you can hear it discharging air after getting out of the vehicle and closing the last door. It was covered under warranty.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 ML 350 in Europe & 12 GL 350 Avantgarde in Canada
Thanks Ray !