GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Accessory power. Where to tap in for power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GL450
Accessory power. Where to tap in for power?

For all you guys that either added amplifiers, or other hardwired electronics, where did you tap in for accessory?

I just hooked up my Vizualogic headrests with the mid-city engineering VIM module. Results are awesome but i have a problem with locating the right accessory power source. I've tapped into the power outlet in the front passenger footwell (cigarette lighter) but whenever i stop the car, open the door the front head unit turns off, but the rear monitors continue to stay on. They continue to stay on even when i lock the car and walk away and this will probably end up killing my battery one day. There has gotta be a better location to tap in for power so that it turns off when the front head unit turns off. Any help here?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'13 CLS550, '17 Q7, '11 G550
Tap into either the cigarette lighter in the center dash (with the ashtray) or the one in the rear of the center console - both of these will turn off when the car turns off. The one under the dash (passenger side) has constant power to it so yes, the vizualogics will stay on when you turn the car off.