GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Gl350 32k miles blown motor. Warranty denied.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
As someone else said, I do believe there is a log of warning messages stored for the service shop. It would be worthwhile to ask them for that log. If there's a few hundred warnings that have come up on the diagnostics and ignored, then you will realize you are in a tough spot. If the log file shows no warning messages (either for service, or check oil, or anything else) for the past 16,000 miles, then your car has a problem.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GL Diesel
Additive Thoughts

Hello all,

By introduction, I am a Petroleum Products Wholesaler and Distributor of Mobil 1 Engine Oil. I stumbled upon this forum as I am in the market for a diesel GL. As you probably know, Mobil 1 is factory fill in Mercedes engines. Couple of comments from my perspective. The use of engine oil additives in any Mobil 1 product is not necessary and will in fact void the warranty protection provided by ExxonMobil. Mobil 1 products are engineered with a careful balance of additive technology to maximize performance. The addition of a supplemental additive will change the composition of the oil, and not necessarily in a good way. I would be surprised if Mercedes own warranty is not void when using additives. I would presume the dealership is aware of this. My feeling from reading these posts is that the dealership is back stepping and using this as an excuse to resolve the situation. My gut feeling is that you actually had a sensor fail. I'd be interested to know what brand of oil was in your GL and why the dealership felt a need to 'improve' the oil?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:30 PM

Mercedes GL Diesel
The dealership voided the oil warranty (if the product was Mobil 1) and possibly the MB warranty as well when it put an additive into your engine. In my view, the dealership was negligent and therefore they are liable for the cost of your engine.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
I'm beginning to like this thread a LOT! More and more technically verifiable stuff keeps coming up pointing to the dealer/Mercedes and AWAY from racetoy as the responsible party.
This kind of help is FUN to provide.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 485 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by shagin wagon
Since you bought the GL at 16,000 miles, did you get a "service due" annunciation at 20,000 and 30,000 miles? On my GLK and ML you get this every time you start the car when you are due for a regular oil change.
Mine was reset when I picked mine up with 12K miles, so 22k, 32k, etc etc..
If the dealer did the CPO checklist right, he shouldn't have seen one until 26K.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:41 PM

SL55 AMG, GL350
I went through a Lemon Law process in Florida where they have a strong system protecting consumers. It was a Chevy Suburban what went through five differentials in the first 7500 miles.

The process is slow and tedious but we kept detailed receipts and rented an equivalent vehicle for nearly four months. In the end we won, they paid us all the money back for the truck and all our expenses. We still bought four more Suburbans after than as we knew they were good vehicles and the one we had was a lemon. You just have to have the money and patience to go through the process.

Robert
Old 07-21-2012, 02:20 PM

Nothing
To the OP. I'm sorry for your troubles. It looks like someone else is gonna be held responsible since as others have pointed out That someone out there added something that wasnt approved by MB. I hope you get a replacement engine quick. Btw by you going over by 6k on the oil should be perfectly ok, not ideal but ok. Mercedes and mobil 1 engineered these engines for upto 20k between oil changes. If anyone says otherwise, they should probably research the data sets widely available on the web on synthetic motor oils. In addition ignore the individual's who seem to be saying your completely responsible and you simply want a free lunch at the expense of mb, they don't have anything better to do. This engine and it's design isn't a 90's CDI. Btw hopefully after everything's settled, do take care of fluid needs and never ever trust the onboard electronic sensors they don't help but rather hurt your awareness of your vehicles status. All the german brands are transitioning into this let's woo our customers into thinking our cars are so advanced and have them access all statuses thru a screen in the car but keep secret that were removing the actual dipsticks. Well I say keep the dipsticks and that's it!

Again good luck op!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 AM
a2j

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2008 GL320CDI (265k) & 2017 GLS450 (120k)
'check oil level at next fuel stop' is what I was getting when my oil was an min level...
Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM

Nothing
@A2j

These kind of experiences, make me wonder why Car MFGs, are leaning towards electronic awareness of cars. I was at a BMW team drive for USA, and testing an X5. The CA accompanied me, and he was boasting at how BMW and other Luxury car makers are trying to make living with a car super easy. Apps that remind you to check fluids, and maintenance reminders in the idrive system. These kind of experiences remind me, that electronic sensors are the ones responsible to get you an accurate maintenance reminder, if they fail your apps suite fails with it. In addition, do we really require the abolition of dipsticks, and other non-electronic maintenance reminders. Finally, the sensors and the logic behind these system are designed in-house or with Bosch, who claim to "thoroughly" test and certify these systems as a "replacement to human intervention", are they testing them thoroughly enough? Sorry for the #rant, but its something to think about
Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Reminds me of when they introduced the F-111. Pilots were flying those things at mach 1, only 100ft from the ground in hilly terrain relying on the computer to control it. And my XT used to stall every half hour.

This is one black bunny who would never set foot in one of those planes.

And one who will check his fluids manually when I can!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 PM

GL350
dgiturbo - how do you know this?

Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Mercedes owes you a new engine. Bottom line.
Here's why. In the owners manual, the display your wife saw, and the same display confirmed by the dealer, is this:
"Check eng. oil level at next refueling
The engine oil level is too low. ��
Check the engine oil level (�� page 360) (except ML 500), or (�� page 358)
(ML 500 only)."

There is also another more serious display that comes up in RED:
"Engine oil level
Stop car, turn engine off
There is no oil in the engine. �� There is a danger of engine damage.
Carefully bring the vehicle to a halt as soon as it is safe to do so in a safe location.
�� Turn off the engine.
�� Add engine oil (�� page 361) and check the en- gine oil level (�� page 360) (except ML 500), or (�� page 358) (ML 500 only)."

According to your posts, this warning was not recorded by the dealer, and not seen by your wife.

Since Mercedes has two warnings, one to prompt for "casually" checking within 600 or so miles, and one for immediate action required, their warning system FAILED.
Any such failure on their part within the contracted warranty period is theirs.
Have your attorney explain this to MBUSA and arrange a loaner while they put a brand new motor in your ride.
I have a similar problem except that it is slightly worse - we were overdue for an oil change but we were at the dealer for service and we asked about the oil. We were told the oil was fine. We then immediately went on a 7 hour plus (each way) trip. On the way home we got the benign "check oil at next refueling", but we never made it to the next refueling to check it. Sludge was found on the oil cap. There were never any signs of problems. Dealer is claiming we failed to maintain and is refusing to address the problem. My manual does not say anything about the warning mentioned in RED. How can I confirm that this should apply to my 2010 GL350? The car is damaged and MB dealer and corporate will not help.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:03 PM

Mercedes GL 450
Originally Posted by MBVictim
I have a similar problem except that it is slightly worse - we were overdue for an oil change but we were at the dealer for service and we asked about the oil. We were told the oil was fine. We then immediately went on a 7 hour plus (each way) trip. On the way home we got the benign "check oil at next refueling", but we never made it to the next refueling to check it. Sludge was found on the oil cap. There were never any signs of problems. Dealer is claiming we failed to maintain and is refusing to address the problem. My manual does not say anything about the warning mentioned in RED. How can I confirm that this should apply to my 2010 GL350? The car is damaged and MB dealer and corporate will not help.
it takes a huge amount of abuse and neglect to sludge up an engine. if you maintained your car regularly, an extra trip of 14 hours or at most 1000 miles over the oil change interval would not matter.