GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Price Negotiations for GL450

Old 07-16-2012, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Still not good enough, IMO.

Seeing how dealers responded to my email inquiries and let them go through bidding wars (first only $8K, then another one $11K, then another one $12.5K, then another one $13K, and finally $15K), I think they're just playing hardball. Rule of thumb is to start with a dealer that has the most stock on the lot and/or the one that is known for high-volume dealer.

If you are flexible with colors and options, I think you'll have greater chance. I was not flexible in terms of options but quite flexible in terms of color.

I finally got the diamond white (white was my 1st preference) with the exact options I wanted (except the interior color - I wanted black but got cashmere instead)... don't feel diamond white is worth $1.5K extra since it looks very similar to arctic white unless you look at it under sunlight and within 1 foot.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW X5
Zoink -- thanks again for your follow up.

So far, none of the dealers are budging on their pricing ... I've told them that I am prepared to move on from them, but at the same time would like to get a deal with them. In some cases, I've countered. But, not w/o much success.

One dealer laughed when I told him that I was looking for $13K off MSRP of a $76+K vehicle ... he said, absolute no way anyone is getting that kind of a deal ... I told him there are buyers out there getting deals like yours, but I guess not in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area.

I haven't been able to determine which dealers are high volume but only one dealer that appears to have high inventory on their website is barely breaking $8K to start and he said he is maxed out on discounts ... not sure I believe him, but we'll see.

Like you I am not that flexible on options (P1, running boards/Appearance Package, Parktronic, blind spot assist and keyless GO), but am willing to consider various color combos.

It's great that you got almost exactly what you wanted at a great price ... that Diamond White looks to be a "dazzling" color ... pun intended. I just hope we can get there too ... although, if I trade-in as well, I expect to get hosed on that. I'm concerned about security issues in using AutoTrader.com ... like how do you know you will get paid in full when you hand over your car? Also, I need to make as much as I would off a trade-in plus any related sales tax benefits.

Also, any thoughts on the MB Star Service pre-paid maintenance plans? It appears as though you can use the plan benefits at any MB dealership. But, what's generally covered under these plans? A 3-yr plan costs $805, while a 5-yr plan cost $2,035.

If I don't get the price I want, I may get creative and ask them to throw in a 5-year pre-paid maintenance plan as well as some mud flaps! But, I don't want to look too desperate, b/c really I'm not ... I actually love my 2007 BMW X5 3.0si ... it's just lacking in space at times.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 AM

C280
I did the online inquiries this pass weekend and got similar response where one dealer offered $8K, and the 2nd offered $11K off the MSRP. I am waiting for the $13K and $15K offer now. I am look at a car with MSRP of $73K.

I am also considering on 2013 GL450 but I think the dealer will be firm on the pricing, which makes the 2012 model a great deal.

vchugo007 - I also have a 2008 BMW x5 3.0 and love it. Too bad it was got hit and now I am looking for a replacement.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
You are in the tri state area? If yes pm me I might have a great dealer for you to purchase your GL or even better email me at benzofour30@aol.com
Originally Posted by vchugo007
Zoink -- thanks again for your follow up.

So far, none of the dealers are budging on their pricing ... I've told them that I am prepared to move on from them, but at the same time would like to get a deal with them. In some cases, I've countered. But, not w/o much success.

One dealer laughed when I told him that I was looking for $13K off MSRP of a $76+K vehicle ... he said, absolute no way anyone is getting that kind of a deal ... I told him there are buyers out there getting deals like yours, but I guess not in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area.

I haven't been able to determine which dealers are high volume but only one dealer that appears to have high inventory on their website is barely breaking $8K to start and he said he is maxed out on discounts ... not sure I believe him, but we'll see.

Like you I am not that flexible on options (P1, running boards/Appearance Package, Parktronic, blind spot assist and keyless GO), but am willing to consider various color combos.

It's great that you got almost exactly what you wanted at a great price ... that Diamond White looks to be a "dazzling" color ... pun intended. I just hope we can get there too ... although, if I trade-in as well, I expect to get hosed on that. I'm concerned about security issues in using AutoTrader.com ... like how do you know you will get paid in full when you hand over your car? Also, I need to make as much as I would off a trade-in plus any related sales tax benefits.

Also, any thoughts on the MB Star Service pre-paid maintenance plans? It appears as though you can use the plan benefits at any MB dealership. But, what's generally covered under these plans? A 3-yr plan costs $805, while a 5-yr plan cost $2,035.

If I don't get the price I want, I may get creative and ask them to throw in a 5-year pre-paid maintenance plan as well as some mud flaps! But, I don't want to look too desperate, b/c really I'm not ... I actually love my 2007 BMW X5 3.0si ... it's just lacking in space at times.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 PM

BMW X5
cloudz949 -- sounds like you received some pretty good initial offers via online inquiries!

Let us know if you get the $13K and $15K discounted offer.

Where are you located?

The dealers are telling us that pricing will likely be very inflexible for the 2013 GL450.

Our 2007 BMW X5 3.0si had a fender bender too, but is in good enough working order to keep if necessary. Problem is we don't really need 2 cars, at least not at the expected expense.

We are thinking about leasing the new car, but am very concerned about fees for excess wear and tear with a 2-3 year old in the back seat! Also, I know I'm paying up via a lease for two-years use of the car.

Again, any thoughts from anyone on the Star Service pre-paid maintenance plans?

Hubert -- I have e-mailed you directly. Thanks for offering to help!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:56 PM

14 GL550 Diamond White 2021 GLS AMG
Hi fellow members,

Just a quick update ... I've received a few quotes, but not for the same exact car, and not encouraging me to pull the trigger just yet.

1 - One dealer offered a GL450 for sale at a $6,801 discount based on a $72,600 MSRP (incl dest chrg) ... that was basically 9.5% off. They are trying to talk me into leasing it ... based on a $65,799 sale price, 24 months, 7,500 miles/yr ... residual value of $52,272 ... with two leasing payment options: (a) $785.85 per month and $2,731.55 upfront, based on a money factor of 0.0014 or (b) $18,659.30 one-time all-in payment, based on a money factor of 0.0007. For some reason, and since I'm not a leasing expert (but I am good with numbers), I don't any of these options are good (nevermind) great deals.

Any thoughts what reasonable lease terms would be? I heard that dealers in general kill you on "excess wear and tear" at the end of the lease ... I'm concerned about that since I have a 2.7 year old daughter!

2 - Another dealer is offering an $8,070 discount based on a MSRP of $74,020 ... let's call it 11.03% off. Still not quite a five-figure discount, but I think (hope) it's achievable. If this offer already includes any Conquest $$$, then I'm thinking of countering at $61,000, and if that's not acceptable to the dealer, I'm considering proposing other options, like how about $63,000 and throw in a 4 or 5/yr pre-paid maintenance plan? Has anyone done this before? Are those plans worth it?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!
Tell them that you will pay tissue less MB incentives they have received to help them get rid of the 2012's usually about 5% then tell them you want the 4% dealer hold back. so roughly less 9% less 5% less 4%. and see what they have to say then.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:16 PM

BMW X5
wphughes1 -- thanks for your follow-up.

Can you clarify what you mean by: "Tell them that you will pay tissue less MB incentives they have received to help them get rid of the 2012's ..."

And, is the 5% a corporate level incentive to dealers that is different from the 4% dealer hold back? If so, what is it called?

Given what I think you're suggesting, and using a $73,145 MSRP (which does not include the $875 destination fee), I should ask for 9% off the MSRP, which gets me to $66,562, then take off another 5% off that price, which gets me to $63,234, and then finally another 4% off that price, which gets me to $60,704? Or, are you saying ask for 18% off the $73,145 MSRP , which would be $59,978.90?

Using the lower price of $59,978.90, $875 in destination charges, and let's call it $810 for other fees (which is what one dealer quoted me but still seems high) and 7% sales tax for living in NJ, my all-in cost would be just under $65,981! I am prepared to write a check today, if that is the case.

Any thoughts on the pre-paid maintenance plans?

Will the dealer take a good chunk of the discount back if I ask to trade in my car?

Thanks again to you and everyone else for their thoughts!!!

VC
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM

Sure the tissue is the original cost invoice that the dealer gets from the manufacturer they may be reluctant to show you however they will once you insure them that you will visit as many dealers as necessary to see it. Then (and I'm no longer in the business) the dealer will receive an additional incentive (call it a price cut) from the manufacturer usually 5% this time of year to help them clear the lots for the new models, at a certain point and it is variable the manufacturer will give the dealer even more incentive to get rid of the final vehicles. Now don't confuse this with he dealer hold back which is an additional amount given to the dealer to help fray certain costs such as the floor plan; this used to only be with American cars now most manufacturers are doing it and last I heard (last year) Mercedes was at 4%. Now the question is have they received the 5% (more or less) and I would guess at this point yes so the price should be sticker less transportation charge less about 9% (options have a larger markup then the base vehicle) then less 4% then less 5% of the remainder then plus your transportation charge. The trick is to find out how much the incentives to the dealers are (remember these are not public incentives) and when they get them once you know this you can just about get their exact net cost. Give it's a shot it is fun to play. Start out after you get an aggressive looking salesperson by asking to see the sales manager and don't take no for an answer. If I can help further let me know.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:03 PM

I didn't see the last part, pre-paid maintenance is a personal choice it's a little cheaper however remember that you maintenance is not only based on the number of months but by the computer monitoring the mileage and use type. So if you do a lot of miles it may be worth it if you don't then you need to find out what the service costs A and B and then you can figure it out. Start by calling the service department from the dealer you choose and tell them you have a 2011 with 20,000 mile on it and what is your best price for a B service then tell him what is the cost of an A service and take it from there.
As far as your trade is concerned they will give you ACV (actual cash value) for the trade however they want to get it as cheap as possible so know what wholesale is on your trade (not hard to find on the web) not trade in value wholesale. You might want to sell it yourself, remember in some states you pay sales tax only on the trade difference this is something to consider.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 PM

BMW X5
wphughes1 ... thanks again for your thoughts.

Basically, if your estimates of non-public incentives is on the mark, dealers may have up to 18% to play with relative to MSRP (not including destination charges).

But, it sounds like the only way to know is to ask the sales manager at the dealership for this info. I'm dealing with everyone remotely right now, so a site visit is not a real option at this point.

I was quoted $65,950 based on an MSRP (inclusive of the DC) of $74,020. I plan tell them that we can get a deal done with another $4K off, which would get me 16.5% (or $12+K in total) off the sticker price (not incl the DC, taxes and other fees) -- my all-in total would be just over $67K, and I think we can live with that.

Or, should I just tell them my all-in total now and say that if we can get there, we're done?

If I get to that point, then I can ask them how much would they give me for my X5.

As for trading in vs. a private party sale, Edmunds and Kelly BB estimates the price range for a private party sale to be from $26.7K to $29.8K, while their trade-in values range from $25K to $27.5K. Keep in mind that our car has been in a minor fender bender, so that while the damage was fixed, the accident will show up on CarFax. Also, according to the car’s computer system, we are “due” for changing the rear break pads, at a minimum. I’m wondering if I should get the car serviced, so that neither the dealer nor a potential buyer sees the message when they start up the car to assess its condition and use it as a reason for a lower trade-in value or sale price. Any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:13 PM

Please remember how to calculate it take the destination off then take the 9% the take the 4% then take the 5% (ask them over the phone) when the incentives to dealers was given. Then add in your destination and dealer fee. Also trade in value is not wholesale you need to have either a black book price or a NADA book most dealers will tell you the wholesale. Use the term ACV and they will know that you understand. Now for the trade get an estimate for the service/repairs and then you will know how much you are talking about. The problem with either place you sell it is that you should disclose the accident up front get a carfax and basically stick it in their face so it can't haunt you. No private buyer will buy it for a reasonable price with message lights on; so the decision becomes yours get it fixed for private sale or take your chances with the dealer. When I would appraise a car I would try to get it at a lower price if it had not been serviced; when I say lower I mean my appraisal lees retail on everything that it needed or might need. Hope this helps let me know!!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 PM

BMW X5
OK ... so far, no one is willing to budge from their quotes ... I'm asking $10K to $12K off MSRPs ranging from $72,230 to $74,020 depending on the options, and everyone is terminating discussions with me. Basically, all dealers are saying (so far) that $67K all in is way too low.

Any other suggestions? I'm prepared to just keep my car for Christ's sake!!!

What is the highest % off that any member here in the tri-state NY/NJ/CT area has received in the past 6 months? I'd love to hear some feedback on this.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 PM

03 M5
OK ... so far, no one is willing to budge from their quotes ... I'm asking $10K to $12K off MSRPs ranging from $72,230 to $74,020 depending on the options, and everyone is terminating discussions with me. Basically, all dealers are saying (so far) that $67K all in is way too low.

Any other suggestions? I'm prepared to just keep my car for Christ's sake!!!

What is the highest % off that any member here in the tri-state NY/NJ/CT area has received in the past 6 months? I'd love to hear some feedback on this.

Thanks again everyone.
If any other members could chime in the So Cal area for the prices they paid recently, that would be helpful.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 PM

OK for those who want to get some local prices let them bid on your business as I said in my earlier posts the markup on a GL is almost 9% with some options plus the dealer hold back plus the to dealer incentives. However I know in some areas they hunker down try using a service like this one there are more of them out there. http://www.buyingadvice.com/land/lan...627bf6325f1d88
Old 07-17-2012, 11:09 PM

BMW X5
wphughes1 -- thanks again for our thoughts.

I've reached out to other dealers, so let's see what happens next!

I am curious if anyone in my area has received more than $10K or 15% off ... let's see if I get any responses.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 AM

C280
sshu930 and vchugo007 - I am in Southern California area. I got more quotes today, but they are only $7K and $8K off the MSRP.

I am kind of torn between 2012's lower price and 2013's new features.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Socal people: I'm in norcal and I may be able to help if you are all ready to buy.

Give me the exact specs you want and I'll email the dealer I got mine from and see what they say. If they could give as good of a deal as I got, I'll let you know.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 AM

BMW X5
zoink ... what's the cost of delivery from Northern CA?

If a dealer offers me the discount that you received, the delivery cost might be worth it!

Again, my specs are below:

Any new 2012 GL450 in stock that contains all or most of the following options in this order:

1 - Premium 1
2 - Running Boards
3 - Parktronic
4 - Blind Spot Assist

5 - Keyless GO
6 - Appearance Package (to get the run flat tires)
7 - Heated Rear Seats

We are generally open to various exterior & interior color combinations, except Dakota Brown (for the exterior) and except Black w/ Black -- with a slight preference for a Palladium Silver exterior.

We are not interested in Premium 2 or any of the other packages or other options at this time and would not pay up for them.

If you dealer can share with me what's in inventory based on my specs (i.e., in the form of pdfs of the spec sheets with MSRP pricing (or theirproposed pricing) for each vehicle candidate), we can go from there. My e-mail is: victor.chugo007@gmail.com

Our current vehicle is a 2007 BMW X5 3.0si in very good condition with less than 37K miles -- this info would be useful if Conquest monies are a factor and if trade-in is an option.

Thanks again to any help from anyone!

That said, no one has replied yet from the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area who received more than $10K off of MSRP on any 2012 GL450 ... interesting ...

Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

vchugo & sshu: I just sent an email to the sales person at my local dealer. I hope he wouldn't mind giving me the numbers first. If so, I'll forward his info to you and if you like the price, you can call him up and close the deal.

vchugo: I'm not familiar with tri-state rules on buying new cars from out of state. In CA, we cannot do so. Either way, I asked the sales person to include the shipping cost in the numbers so you know exactly how much you need to pay.

We'll see how it goes... I should open a business since I've successfully referred 10 deals this year plus one for myself
Old 07-21-2012, 02:30 PM

Nothing
I pointed this out to you at benzworld. You need to check autotrader, look for vehicles that are a perfect fit for you. Email them nd see how the respond. I emailed a lot of dealers in ny, they don't budge not a single bit. They are low volume and have ample non frugal buyers that's they could frankly give a rats a$$.

Your best bet is nj. Look for who has stock left and get in touch with them via email never in person. At the same time try to find simiar dealers example I'm in touch with other states dealers aka CA who are really nice to work with. They usually submit a nice dealer invoice papers with their sale price which I can say is around 10-11k. Take that, blank the dealers name and other info. Finally when Ur nj dealer gives u a price and it's higher (usual are, send him a copy of your CA BLANKED sales price, and begin bargaining. Its painful, but worth it at the end.

Happy bargain hunting!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 PM

Nothing
15k is impossible right now (but possible later as 2013s roll onto dealers) but 11-12 is possible with tough bargaining right now.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:23 PM

None
Glad I found this thread forum and this thread. I just started looking at the '12 GL450. 3rd kid is on the way. Was a little discouraged after seeing the high MSRP but after reading through this thread it looks like there are some discounts to be given.

Has anyone been successful in getting SoCal dealers to come down to the 10k discount range?

I'm looking at a MSRP of 77k right now but obviously don't want to spend that much. All in would like to be around 70k for everything OTD.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:30 PM

03 M5
Originally Posted by banzai75x
Glad I found this thread forum and this thread. I just started looking at the '12 GL450. 3rd kid is on the way. Was a little discouraged after seeing the high MSRP but after reading through this thread it looks like there are some discounts to be given.

Has anyone been successful in getting SoCal dealers to come down to the 10k discount range?

I'm looking at a MSRP of 77k right now but obviously don't want to spend that much. All in would like to be around 70k for everything OTD.
I've contacted dozens of dealers in So Cal trying to hunt down a good price around 2 weeks ago. I was looking at a lightly optioned GL450 with a msrp price range of 68-70k. I got 10k off one dealer and 13k off a dealer in San Jose. 10k off is attainable especially since you are looking at one with a decent amount of options. PM for more info.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:05 PM

BMW X5
Hi everyone … it’s been a while since I posted here, but I wanted to give all interested parties a very detailed update:
We finally bought ourselves a 2012 GL450.
The details are as follows:
· Palladium Silver exterior / Ash interior (my wife’s 1st and 2nd choices, respectively)
· P1 package
· Running boards
· Parktronic
· Blind spot assist
· Keyless GO
Also, included but not wanted are:
· Heated steering wheel, which could be nice in the winter months
· Pre-wiring for rear seat entertainment (that we will likely never use, given the advent of the ipad)
· Trailer hitch, which I hope we never have to use
The MSRP was $72,600, which included the $875 destination fee.
Our sale price was … (drum roll, please) … just over $60K … basically, more than $12K off.
All-in (or “OTD” as some call it here) -- $65K+
I think we got a good deal, but not a great deal.
That said, many of the dealers in my area (NY/NJ/PA/CT/MD) played hardball. We finally found one that smelled an imminent deal and moved quickly with us. Or, perhaps the incentives improved at the dealerships over the past week or so – I’m not sure. But, what I did find during our search was that inventory has been moving. If we wanted (a) a car with the options that we did want, (b) a car with an acceptable color combo for the exterior and interior, and (c) very few options that we didn’t want (like the above-mentioned options, or a $1,950 Rear Seat Entertainment system), there was very limited inventory left that met our specific needs. So, when a dealer finally hit our price point, we pulled the trigger.
Based on my experience in the east coast (i.e., north of Virginia), some dealers tried to maximize their profit by offering only 8 to 10% off the MSRP (which could range from under $6K to more than $7K in discount) and they didn’t budge – clearly, they were only seeking price-insensitive buyers. Some were more aggressive … offering up to 14% off, which could range from $9K+ for “low-end” models that only have the P1 package and perhaps one or two more other options, to more than $10K off for more fully-loaded vehicles … for example, we considered a vehicle that had an MSRP of greater than $74K and the dealer offered it for just over $64K, but we couldn’t bring ourselves to pull the trigger. A couple of dealers just offered a flat $10K discount regardless of the MSRP, but also would not move from that figure.
Finally, just prior to finalizing the deal on our “preferred car”, we did get a dealer to go to more than $11K off of a more loaded GL450 with a $75,265 MRSP; however, he came back to us too late to try and get the deal done at possibly a lower price. That said, even if we got another $2K off, we still would have paid a higher price for that car than for the car that we ultimately ended up with, albeit that higher priced car had more options (which weren’t really necessary for us).
Having said all of this, it is possible that additional or higher incentives are in place this month (or will be next month) for dealers to move the remaining 2012 GL’s … if so, buyers should get better deals that I did, but perhaps not exactly the car that they’re looking for, unless they get lucky. I expect that in the coming weeks/months, what’s left in inventory, which will most likely be more fully-loaded cars or cars in color combos that are not sought by most buyers, will see price drops in the $13K to $15K range that other posters here have apparently received – perhaps it’s already happening in CA or other parts of the country. I will say that I did canvas a couple of CA dealerships, but they were in the same ballpark, discount-wise, as the east coast dealers – plus I would have had to pay a shipping fee upwards of $1K to $2K depending on the dealer’s quote. And, when a couple learned that I was way out-of-state, they didn’t want to talk to me any more – with one claiming that he couldn’t sell out of state. True or not, I don’t know. Also, if you want a GL350, I think a great deal can be had, since the base model is $1,000 cheaper than the GL450, and a couple of dealers were pushing the diesel trucks very aggressively.
So, I guess my message to buyers is this: if you see what you like, go after it hard, but be prepared to hit a brick wall with some dealers. Also, canvas ALL dealers within driving distance … it’s a very time consuming exercise, but could ultimately be worth the effort, like it was for us. Finally, ignore the public incentives … we ultimately did … the dealers will maximize whatever incentives they can for you and them (some incentives you will know or they will tell you about and some of which you won’t see (i.e., the dealer incentives / give backs)), but the bottom line is … determine for yourself a not-to-exceed price that you are willing pay (which should vary somewhat depending on the options and MSRP of the car), be reasonable about it (i.e., don’t expect $20K off … at least not yet), and be prepared to strike if a dealer hits your price point, otherwise the car could be gone the next day … as we went through that, too.
Plus, a message to any dealers reading this post – don’t screw around with buyers that know what they want, have done their homework, and know what they want to pay. It will make your life easier as well as the buyers, and you will get more deals done, which is your ultimately goal, especially on “discontinued models” – otherwise, you will just lose the buyer to another dealer.
Hope this long-winded post is helpful to fellow members.
If anyone has any questions/comments, please let me know.
Thanks again to all previous posters for their thoughts and assistance!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 PM

BMW X5
sshu930 -- see my long-winded post above ... $13K off sounds like a good deal ... is it for a Bluetec (GL 350)? What's the MSRP?

Originally Posted by sshu930
I've contacted dozens of dealers in So Cal trying to hunt down a good price around 2 weeks ago. I was looking at a lightly optioned GL450 with a msrp price range of 68-70k. I got 10k off one dealer and 13k off a dealer in San Jose. 10k off is attainable especially since you are looking at one with a decent amount of options. PM for more info.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Price Negotiations for GL450