GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL450 falling apart at 65K miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Angry GL450 falling apart at 65K miles

I've got a 2009 GL450 with 65K miles. My wife drives it for light suburban driving only.

In general, we really like the vehicle, but it has been in the shop at least every three months.

We are now out of warranty and have had a flood of issues in the past month. Three weeks ago the driver-side door lock mechanism went out. The audio (radio, phone, everything) went out last week and the system needed to be reset. This week, both front struts went out and nearly killed her (car was out of control).

The bill for the struts and the doorlock is $5K, but the dealer offered to pick-up some of the tab.

I've owned 8 new mercedes over the past 15 years and I was considering a trade-up to the 2013 GL, but I just can't justify buying another one at this point. The trim around the back windows (outside) is all peeling apart and all the black plastic trim has turned white in the back. We notice the same issues on other 3-4 year old GLs in parking lots around us.

Am I crazy or should this vehicle be more reliable with only 65K miles?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 PM

03 Nissan Altima 2.5S, 07 MB GL450
Last time I drove mine, I had over 73,000 miles. Still perfectly fine. All routine maintenance done and on time. So far so good. Nothing really bad so far. Fluids all changed including power steering fluid.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Drove my 07 GL450 for over 50K and had none of those issues.....sounds awful!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:19 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
This feedback is very similar at one I read at edmuds.com before purchase my GL, most of this horror histories came from people with low post or new people at MB forums, I don't mean this is the case, but I believe people from other brands try to scare potencial buyers from Mercedes Benz GL so they can point to this "feedback" using key words that you can google "mercedes GL" bam... this feedbacks will pop out...
Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 AM

GL 450
Mine is 07 and 69k and it's perfect. It is hard to believe that an 09 will fall apart.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 AM

GL450
Wally, your hypothesis is insulting. You'll notice I've been registered since 2004, but not active. People with lots of problems with vehicles turn to the social-sphere as a last resort, hence the low activity.

Feel free to call Matt at Laguna Niguel Mercedes service. I authorized him to fix yesterday, so I can trade the POS in for a new Audi. This vehicle has had every scheduled service by the dealer and has been driven with white gloves. It shouldn't have this many problems.

I would turn your comment around and say that it sounds like you work for Mercedes, trying to cover up their problems with FUD instead of acknowledge them.

The posts on Edmonds are insightful.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,065 Likes on 854 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by SoCalBenz
The bill for the struts and the doorlock is $5K, but the dealer offered to pick-up some of the tab.
Yes, the struts do fail. The struts, even at the dealership, with labor and all should be no more than $2,200. You can get them done for less than half that with a lifetime warranty on the struts from an independent. Heck, the dealership may even install them for you.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...18_pid146.html

Not sure why the doorlock issue is so expensive but I would get a second opinion because the dealership is waaaaaaaaaay too expensive on this repair. I'd say more than 200% too high.

Trending Topics

Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 AM

Porsche 911
Sorry to hear about your issues. I agree with getting the car out of the dealership. The door lock repair sounds like the keyless go handle that runs about $160 and can be replaced in your driveway in about 30 minutes if you have never done it before. BlownV8 already advised on the struts.

I have an '08 with 62K miles of which I have done 35K. I have replaced the steering rack, cam oil plugs, cam position sensor, and rear tailgate latch. It's not trouble free like a Honda but not excessive either. When you factor that there is no other 7 passenger SUV with the handling, power, towing ability, and features of the GL, it makes the choice to keep it much easier (for me).

That being said, I would not buy a 2013 GL or any first year model from any manufacturer if I could help it. Cars are too complex these days to expect a new model to be perfect. There are things the engineers can't learn until there are thousands of them in the field.

BTW, do your homework on the Audi's!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I owe the GL450 for 5 months, and it's been in the shop 4 times + 1 times road assistant :-): sunroof, steering rack, both front struts, battery, TMPS ... . Good news is that it has been ok for the last 2 weeks !!

Love the car when it runs, but wish it could have been more reliable. Lucky that all of my repair are under CPO warranty

My S and Escalade hardly visit dealer at all for the last 4 years. Just oil & tire change

I've got a 2009 GL450 with 65K miles. My wife drives it for light suburban driving only.

In general, we really like the vehicle, but it has been in the shop at least every three months.

We are now out of warranty and have had a flood of issues in the past month. Three weeks ago the driver-side door lock mechanism went out. The audio (radio, phone, everything) went out last week and the system needed to be reset. This week, both front struts went out and nearly killed her (car was out of control).

I've owned 8 new mercedes over the past 15 years and I was considering a trade-up to the 2013 GL, but I just can't justify buying another one at this point. The trim around the back windows (outside) is all peeling apart and all the black plastic trim has turned white in the back. We notice the same issues on other 3-4 year old GLs in parking lots around us.

Am I crazy or should this vehicle be more reliable with only 65K miles?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Wally, your hypothesis is insulting. You'll notice I've been registered since 2004, but not active. People with lots of problems with vehicles turn to the social-sphere as a last resort, hence the low activity.

Feel free to call Matt at Laguna Niguel Mercedes service. I authorized him to fix yesterday, so I can trade the POS in for a new Audi. This vehicle has had every scheduled service by the dealer and has been driven with white gloves. It shouldn't have this many problems.

I would turn your comment around and say that it sounds like you work for Mercedes, trying to cover up their problems with FUD instead of acknowledge them.

The posts on Edmonds are insightful.
I wrote "I don't mean this is the case" I know Laguna Niguel Dealer, I got my amg at Laguna Niguel. I believe dealer quote is way off... maybe I'm just a lucky person that own Mercedes with a very few normal problems.

Last edited by wally AMG; 09-23-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 AM

GL450
I had it back for 1 day when the suspension malfunction error popped up. Back at LNMB they said the suspension pump failed (1 day after both front struts failed). They had a logical engineering answer for it (when struts go the pump works harder to compensate), but it made the design of the suspension system sound like a house of cards. If one strut goes it puts more pressure on the other struts, so they go, and that puts more pressure on the pump, so it goes, and that puts more pressure on the wallet, so the car goes...

MBLN was great and did the pump for free, since they had just released the car.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1966 230SL, 1969 300SEL 6.3, 1990 350SDL, 1992 500E, 1993 500E, 2008 GL320 CDI, 2013 S63 w/Perf Pkg
Sorry to hear of the problems. I've been pretty fortunate with both GL's, with the 2008 being the better of the two as it has been a bit more reliable. It has close to 80k on it and all that I've ever had to do is regular sched maintenance and tires. The 2009 has about 35k and I have had to replace one strut, temp sensor, some sort of elec fault causing the check engine light to come on, O2 sensor, subwoofer amp, some issues with Pirelli tires, and then reg sched maintenance. I don't think that's too bad over a 4 year spread, but it makes me wonder if something happened between year models 2008/09. The vehicles are identical other than one is a CDI and the other is a BlueTec.
Meanwhile the 1990 still runs like a tank and nothing ever breaks on it.

Last edited by KipF; 09-23-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
I had it back for 1 day when the suspension malfunction error popped up. Back at LNMB they said the suspension pump failed (1 day after both front struts failed). They had a logical engineering answer for it (when struts go the pump works harder to compensate), but it made the design of the suspension system sound like a house of cards. If one strut goes it puts more pressure on the other struts, so they go, and that puts more pressure on the pump, so it goes, and that puts more pressure on the wallet, so the car goes...

MBLN was great and did the pump for free, since they had just released the car.
I consider the more logical story is one component, (probably the pump) had failed.
This then pumped debris into the struts which caused them to fail.
After they were repaired, the pump problem became apparent.

Regardless, the good thing is they fixed the pump so the problem is now solved.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 PM

GL450
I have had a similar experience to vntgspd, at 67k three trips to the dealer. First trip, steering rack and Intake camshaft adjustor selenoid - $2k. Second trip, 40 miles later, o2 sensor $400. Third trip, 50 miles later rear door latch, $515. The rear latch had been adjusted, $115 a few months before. Talked to Mercedes corporate on the steering rack, they said they would look into it but came back and said it was a "wear item". Likewise the local dealer on the door latch said some people use their latch more than others. No one at the dealer seemed surprised that I couldnt drive the car around the block for three weeks without somethIng breaking. It is my wife's car, and the local dealer is the only one to ever turn a wrench on it, with all recommended maintenance done. I agree it the the best SUV, but not real confident in keeping it now.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
To the op- your experience is not typical. The truck should hold together much better. 07/08 Trucks with 70-80k miles are now the norm and they have proven to be very reliable overall as complex SUVs go.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
I'm glad I got that extended warranty now! My 2009 has 68k miles on it and it's been relatively trouble free.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
I have a 2008 GL550 and so far it's ok - haven't had a lot of problems. I do have the extended warranty on it for 2 more years.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 PM

GL450
It only gets worse...

After a lot of deliberation, we decided not to push the GL450 off a cliff and instead re-up'd and ordered a 2013 GL450 with the hopes that it would be better.

Unfortunately, 2013s are in very short supply, so our build won't be delivered until March.

In the meantime, the 09 GL450 continues to disintegrate. Now both front door locks have gone out (actuators - $1000/ea), the sunroof switch only works half the time, the power steering decided to leak, and last week we got a "centrifuge oil leak" that sent oil onto the manifold and white smoke coming out the engine.

Again, this is a car that has been pampered by my wife, has had every scheduled maintenance by the dealer and sits in a nice warm garage when not in the warm weather of SoCal.

So my wife refuses to drive it and now doesn't want the new GL450 on order. I can't blame her. I have talked to both of my local dealers and both have said that Mercedes won't be of any help, because the car is out of warranty.

I've been a Mercedes owner for 17 years, but it looks like this is now my last one. I know a lot of you have had good experiences with your vehicles, as have I with other Mercedes. My disappointment is in the company and the dealers for not doing more to support this 60K mile lemon.

For those of you trolling the board shopping for 7 seater SUVs, what else are you looking at? I really like the design of the GL, but I can't get my wife back behind the wheel of one.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:14 PM

Porsche 911
That's a bummer on the recent issues. The steering rack is a "common issue" and can be a pain to fix.

Curious about the door lock actuators though and the centrifuge leak. What did they charge to fix the centrifuge leak?

Also, why both actuators??? The odds of both failing at the same time is slim unless something "upstream" caused the failure. I would be highly suspect of the mechanic/service writer you are using.

Just sayin'...
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 PM

Porsche 911
Originally Posted by iankayem
I consider the more logical story is one component, (probably the pump) had failed.
This then pumped debris into the struts which caused them to fail.
After they were repaired, the pump problem became apparent.

Regardless, the good thing is they fixed the pump so the problem is now solved.
Or, perhaps the struts/air springs were fine and the pump was bad??? Pretty unusual for both struts to leak simultaneously.

I think you might be subsidizing the dealer's vacation home.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 AM

GL450
Yeah, odd that both front struts went out and then the pump went out (was also scary for my wife both times).

Also odd that both front door lock actuators went out within 3 months of each other.

Every scheduled service and dozens of "unscheduled" services were done by Laguna Niguel MB. Their response and attitude has been condescending, unsurprised, and unhelpful at best. Both of the engine oil leaks showed up a few days after they did a scheduled service B oil change. Coincidence?

We are looking at the Acura MDX this weekend. Good times!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 AM

2007 E63
If I am not mistaken the GL units are built in Alabama. That could be the problem. Have you ever been to 'Bama? Its almost a 3rd world country!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 AM

My gl450 is perfect at 125,000 miles

I live outside of Anchorage, Alaska and have owned my GL since it was new in December 2006. The driving conditions here are harsh with bad roads, cold, and lots of ice and snow. My GL rocks. Sometimes I have to chain all 4 wheels to get up the mountain to my house in the winter time. I have done all the maintenance and I have never spent a dime on a repair except for normal wear. I love this car. It is the best machine I have ever owned.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:32 PM

GL450
I have a 07 GL450 beside the normal wear and tear, a seat belt buckle and the rear hatch lever it has been very trust worthy. We are sitting at just under 99000 miles. Sorry you had such a bad experience with yours.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:37 AM

2007 GL450
I have a 2007 GL450. The first couple of days, the car lagged suddenly on the highway and the ESP light and engine light came on. That issue occured about 2-3 times. Then just the other day, the steering wheel locked up on me on the highway. It was a terrifying experience. I turned on the hazards and slowly drifted to the furthest right lane. All the lights came up. I immediately took it to the dealership and found out the issue was a faulty crank shaft position sensor. Luckiy, I was still under warranty or else the part would of costed $650. Thought I would get my car back in 2 days and today found out they needed to replace my yaw rate sensor. This repair could of costed me +$1000 upward.

I completely agree that this vehicle is a fantastic SUV. Feels good, great to drive, short & long distances. But I have far taken this car to the dealership way too many times for electrical issues ( no audio coming from the radio) about 6-8 times within a 3 month period and now this problem.

Does the weather have anything to do with the car? We lived in Vegas for a while it was garaged for the most part and now we moved back up to the Bay Area where the car is kept underneath a garage parking lot.

Last edited by the paragon; 01-10-2013 at 12:40 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GL450 falling apart at 65K miles