GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2013 GL roof rails crossbar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2012 | 09:40 AM

2013 GL350 / 2010 GLK350
Exclamation 2013 GL roof rails crossbar

Just picked up my new 2013 GL350 and was surprised to find that MB USA had no crossbar accessory available yet for this vehicle. The 2013 Model is about 2" wider from its predecessor and the 2012 model factory crossbars or base racks don't fit it (I tried at a local dealer's parts dept.). A base rack options is listed available but with no production date in sight yet (I confirmed that with MB USA). I am not a fan of the base rack anyway since I bought one for my 2010 GLK. It is bulky and very noisy. Did a lot of research on other available options. Thule and Yakima being the main contenders. Thule has available the 53" Aeroblade bar requiring their Rapid Crossroad rail mount. The crossbar is nice but sticks about 3" on either side of the car and the mount has a big profile that makes a lot of wind noise. Yakima makes a crossbar that fits flush between the rails and it recommends Whispbar S55 model for 2012 Mercedes GL models. I called Yakima to inquire if it will fit the 2013 model and they admitted that it hasn't been tested yet and they can't guarantee a fit. Well, I decided to try and a local rack store and the Whispbar S55 has enough travel adjustment space (rail to rail) to accommodate the 2013 GL model as well. In fact, it fits perfectly between the rails, doesn't stick out at all and makes almost none wind noise. It is made out of polished aluminum and just looks great on the car. So, if you are on the market and want to go skiing this year, look no further, get the Yakima Whispbar S55. It runs about $350 and comes with all you need to mount and lock it on the vehicle. Installation takes 10 min. Thule option is $100 more since you have to buy the Aueroblade bars, the Crossroad mounts, and the locks for them separately. Here are the picks of what Thule and Yakima options look like:
Old 12-01-2012 | 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I'd suggest moving this to the X166 (2013 model year) forum instead of here in the X164 (2007-2012) forum.
Old 12-19-2012 | 12:35 AM

MB
Mercedes cross bars for 2013 GL ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190773017024...witem=&vxp=mtr
Old 12-19-2012 | 01:21 PM

GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by MichaelM
Just picked up my new 2013 GL350 and was surprised to find that MB USA had no crossbar accessory available yet for this vehicle. The 2013 Model is about 2" wider from its predecessor and the 2012 model factory crossbars or base racks don't fit it (I tried at a local dealer's parts dept.). A base rack options is listed available but with no production date in sight yet (I confirmed that with MB USA). I am not a fan of the base rack anyway since I bought one for my 2010 GLK. It is bulky and very noisy. Did a lot of research on other available options. Thule and Yakima being the main contenders. Thule has available the 53" Aeroblade bar requiring their Rapid Crossroad rail mount. The crossbar is nice but sticks about 3" on either side of the car and the mount has a big profile that makes a lot of wind noise. Yakima makes a crossbar that fits flush between the rails and it recommends Whispbar S55 model for 2012 Mercedes GL models. I called Yakima to inquire if it will fit the 2013 model and they admitted that it hasn't been tested yet and they can't guarantee a fit. Well, I decided to try and a local rack store and the Whispbar S55 has enough travel adjustment space (rail to rail) to accommodate the 2013 GL model as well. In fact, it fits perfectly between the rails, doesn't stick out at all and makes almost none wind noise. It is made out of polished aluminum and just looks great on the car. So, if you are on the market and want to go skiing this year, look no further, get the Yakima Whispbar S55. It runs about $350 and comes with all you need to mount and lock it on the vehicle. Installation takes 10 min. Thule option is $100 more since you have to buy the Aueroblade bars, the Crossroad mounts, and the locks for them separately. Here are the picks of what Thule and Yakima options look like:
Thanks for the tip, I'll be needing one of these soon enough! Curious if the GL you tried it on had a Pano roof and if this would still open with bar in place?
Old 12-21-2012 | 02:59 AM

MB
Originally Posted by MAD GL63
Curious if the GL you tried it on had a Pano roof and if this would still open with bar in place?
Good question, factory one at ebay look like is higher couple inches from rails maybe for some pano roof clearence
Old 02-27-2013 | 04:58 PM

2013 GL350 / 2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by MAD GL63
Thanks for the tip, I'll be needing one of these soon enough! Curious if the GL you tried it on had a Pano roof and if this would still open with bar in place?
I did not pick the GL with pano roof, just a regular moonroof. I do have a pano moonroof on my GLK, though, and it does not take any clearance space form the bars. Pano roof makes your interior headroom less, nothing more. I never use the pano in the GLK, anyway. Find it to be a pretty useless feature but had no choice - it came with the car we bought...

Anyway, both, Thule and Yakima crossbars have enough clearance form the roof. I originaly bought the Thule one but exchanged for Yakima Wispbar since that does have a lower profile and lower drag/noise. With a ski rack on top, I had enough clearance for ski (bindings pointing down) & snowboard (facing up) without touching the roof pannel.
Old 02-27-2013 | 05:01 PM

2013 GL350 / 2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by wally AMG
Thank but no! Got these for my GLK. Within a year the black plastic faded to grey. Not to mention they are uge, bulky things that create a terrible wind noise. I bet you if you open your moonroof in the summer or have the window rolled down while these crossbars are on top, you won't be able to hear your stereo. I know I can't because I have them!