GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Seem to be having run of bad luck

Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 AM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
Seem to be having run of bad luck

2011 GL 350 with 25,000 miles.

A month ago, our EIS failed. Dealer replaced.

Three weeks ago, our front parking sensors started alarming all the time. Dealer found at least one had gone bad and replaced them all.

Two weeks ago, our COMAND system started reporting the anti-theft was activated. Turned out to be the dealer failed to correctly marry the new EIS and the COMAND system.

Tonight on a short drive around town, the CEL (check engine light) comes on. I read the codes - P2201 and P2201 (pd). So probably back to the dealer again tomorrow.

I am crossing my fingers this isn't the beginning of another GL horror story... Maybe the truck is scared of the end of the world tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:17 PM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
P2201 and P2201 (pd) turned out to be a bad upstream nitrogen oxide (NOx) sensor. Fixed under warranty. Service advisor said this was not a very common failure on the GL 350. Also said the sensor was a real pain to get to, so lots of labor involved.

He knows I am a do it yourself guy, so we talked abotu what it would take for an owner to diagnose and fix this - it would have been a 30 minute fix and $30 part on my old Jeep.

He said generally his sense was that Mercedes engineers are building a technically excellent vehicle, but are not thinking about ease or cost of repair enough. He said they talk about this a lot at the dealership - they see so many warranty repairs, and the cost is so high, the advisors struggle to see how Mercedes is making money on these trucks.

Because I've been in the shop lately for repairs frequently, I asked him about extended warranty. His opinion was an extended warranty is absolutely required for the GL - particularly in high cost labor markets like the bay area. He said stuff is sure to continue to go wrong, and it all costs a boatload to fix, which is compounded by very high labor rates.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:53 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
I am sure he will not provide you any other answer anyway

The gl as luxo SUVs go is reliable. Work on it is no harder than any other high tech vehicle. actually the gl in particular is on the easy side as there is plenty of room. Das diagnostics are very good and mechanic- oriented.

The problem is that most home mechanics can turn a wrench but cannot troubleshoot complex electrical/ sensor/ computer problems.

Mercedes like all other high end manufacturers would like all their vehicles to return to th dealership for repairs and maintenance. Not doing so lowers vehicle reliability and hurts ultimately manufacturer's bottom line. Hence the specialized tools, diagnostic equipment and General lack of DIY documentation.

Last edited by alx; 12-26-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Had a similar experience with multiple issues in a three week period (@66,000 miles), I would also recommend the extended warrenty if you plan to keep the vehicle past 50K. I had to spend less than the extended warrenty cost for repairs (so far), but too many modes of failure and too costly for repair.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 911
Problem is the warranty is insanely expensive unless you can get a deal on the "certified" warranty extension from MB. If you are a home mechanic or even have a solid indie shop, then you can do repairs for HALF the cost of the dealer. But, it does take some effort up front to gather the tools and info for some jobs. Startekinfo is a great resource if you are doing very technical work beyond basic maintenance.

I bought my GL with 27K miles and have now put 40K miles on it for a total of 67K miles. Off the top of my head, I have done the following:

Front suspension arms due to squeak - warranty
Trans service - $350 (could have done myself for $120 plus 2 hours labor)
Cam plugs leaking - warranty
Rear liftgate lock - warranty
Cam sensor replaced - DIY $25 plus 30 minutes labor
Oil changes/inspections - DIY $80 plus 1 hour vs. $200 at dealer
Belts hoses filters brake fluid, etc - DIY $150 plus 2 hours vs. $400-500 at dealer
Steering rack replace - leaking - DIY $750 plus 6 hours labor vs. $2500 at dealer
Replace rr window trim - DIY $160 plus 10 minutes vs. $250 at dealer
Front rotors & pads - DIY $220 plus 1 1/2 hour vs. $450? at dealer

If I was paying the dealer for all of this I would be thrilled to have a warranty because it would have "paid for itself". But the reality is that my total repairs and MAINTENANCE over 40K miles is less than $2500. No telling what the next 20K miles will bring but right now I'm glad I didn't drop $4k on a warranty.