GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Can you control the dvd player in the front

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you control the dvd player in the front

I just recently bought a 2013 GL450 and it has the factory dvd players in the headrest. I have a young son and I am wondering if I am able to control the dvd playing in the back from the front. Right now I have to go to the back seat with the remote to turn on the head rest to start playing the dvd.

Is there a easier way to do this can I control the dvd playing in the back from the front? Can I turn on the monitor from the front? If so how can I do that.

Also I don't think this is possible but can you have the dvd audio just playing in the back speakers and have music playing in the front?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Adam, since you have the 2013 model your question will better be answered on the X166 forum. This subgroup is for 2007 through 2012 model years, the prior model.
With that said however, I don't think you are able to control the DVD player in the back from the COMAND up front.
I usually use the remote from the front to turn on the unit or when I put my son inside the car and press play and I m good for a couple of hours.

Regarding the speakers, you can have the DVD play through the wireless headphones or through the car speakers. Not both sources through the speakers. If I were you I would look into buying a pair of small speakers and connect them on to the aux headphone port. Again, I am assuming the functionality is the same with the setup of 2012 and prior, but you may want to check with the other sub forum.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response does the remote work from the front seats or do I need to be pointing it at the dvd monitor?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
On second thought, I may have misinformed you. I believe, you can play a DVD either on the COMAND or your CD/DVD changer and output the video on the rear screens. In that scenario you have full control from up front.

If I m not mistaking I can switch off the rear screen from the front by pressing the off button on the remote.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
Are the DVD players in the headrest or just the screens? On my 2009, the DVD player in the rear is close to the floor in the center console. And it can only be controlled by the remotes in the rear.

I find it much easier for my little ones to play and control the DVD from the front COMAND unit versus the single DVD player in the rear. This way you can control the menu options.

The only frustrating thing is that you have to turn on the rear headphones every time for the rear passengers. Kind of annoying.