GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

HELP PLEASE! Can I play DVD's from the NAV/CD in rear??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
HELP PLEASE! Can I play DVD's from the NAV/CD in rear??

I have a new to me, 08 GL450. And my dvd player (under second row seat) has stopped working (screens work fine!)

I thought I saw one time that I can put a dvd in the front command center and play it onto the screens in the back.

I have a very long road trip coming up in a week and my MB dealer is 200 miles away, so I wont be able to get my problem fixed before the trip!

please help, thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
You can't play DVDs on the front period (on your year GL). And you can't display any of the front screen information to the rear.

I just had my DVD player replaced on my 07 R (same DVD player as your car) and still have my old one. The reason it was replaced was that on occasion, the DVD will stutter for a split second- but the movies are still watchable, and it only does it once in a while. MSRP is a crazy $2,800 from MB for a replacement!

So I can offer you three solutions.

1. If your DVD player still turns on but simply can't play DVDs you can buy (or use a DVD player from your house) and plug it into the input jacks on the OEM DVD player. Then you just power the player through the cigarette plug (you might need a cigarette plug adapter that lets you use house plugs). This way, you use a secondary player hooked into the factory unit to get the movies playing.

2. You can go to the dealer and buy a DVD player and have them install it.

3. You can make an offer on my DVD player but still need to find someone to install it. On the R, it was very easy to install (just a few screws) but it may require programming/ I don't know how the install procedure is on the GL.

Edit: I just read your other thread. Please don't make so many threads with the same issue.
I saw that you have an extended warranty. Then definitely get this fixed under warranty when you have the time, like I said it's a very costly part. If this is the case, definitely go with option number 1 that I provided above as it seems like the player will still power on. You simply need another player (can be blu ray too!) to plug into the inputs. Then go with option 2 when you come back from the trip.

Take a look at this Sony portable Blu Ray player, it even comes with a car plug so you don't need a converter.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-SX100.../dp/B004U7UAWM

Last edited by xxGenericSNxx; 01-29-2013 at 07:48 PM.