'07 ML-350 ESP Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 and CLK 350 both '07
'07 ML-350 ESP Failure

Driving along, highway speeds but not that fast...short jerky sensation

Dashboard lights up like 4th July... ESP Failure notice, Check Engine light, Yellow Triangle.... Message says Read the Owner's Manual. It says to take it your service guy who happens to not be that far away.

Service tech runs a diagnostic and all sorts of failures reported. Come back next Tuesday- today is a Wednesday. Looks likes left front wheel speed sensor. Tech tried to start the car but it was a slow start condition.

Diagnostic says the Cam Position Sensor was either bad or throwing off a bad signal, thus the hard to start condition.

Anyone familiar with these situations?

thanks for sharing your experience if any.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Replace your battery.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 AM

Seriously? Please provide reference on that...
Advanced computer code reader didn't mention that... then the car shuttered at 70mph it didn't feel like a low battery?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Porsche 911
What alx said.

These cars are HIGHLY sensitive to battery voltage and charging system because there are computers and sensors that run EVERYTHING. When the system sees a voltage drop (could be very slight) things go haywire.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:45 PM

OK guys, I would not deny that things are complex, but... traveling along at 70 mph seems as if a low voltage condition would not be all that probable. Maybe low voltage could cause a hard start after a long rest but weak battery cause a failure on the left front wheel speed sensor?

Also seems as if the complete system diagnostic that revealed 7 different faults but not a weak battery would have reported it.

I know this well-respected independent shop and they have been taking care of a whole string of my Mercedes and BMWs. I also know the tech and have had diagnostics run before on cars I was considering buying. I would think they might discover a weak battery first if it was a common cause of the ESP failure.

Thanks for the replies though. I do appreciate it. I will let you know. Yes, I would rather replace the battery than do wheel and camshaft position sensors...
Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM

Porsche 911
No worries. As long as your tech did a load test on the battery then the other repairs seem legit.

Cam sensors are common and easy. Part is about $25 and takes 15-30 minutes depending on which one it is. Never dealt with wheel speed sensor but I "think" it is pretty accessible so hopefully not much labor there.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!