Red battery light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by SupaSaggi
This has happened to me a couple of times. Just the computer suddenly goes and then reboots. I didn't hear a thump, but when the alternator/battery started really tanking, I would find the abs light would come on, then the brake light, then it would stop shifting and just go into neutral, usually in the span of a minute or two. So, the thump might have been it suddenly downshifting or throwing the brake on for a second. When I first got it and had starting issues, I had it checked a couple times and was always told that the battery and alternator were fine, until this last great adventure. One thing I did notice is that with the oil filler right above the alternator and pulley, when I was investigating this there was a lot of oil on the stuff below and around the filler cup. I think it's possible that the oil might have had the belt slipping a lot and may have even gummed up the pulley enough to eventually kill it. But, just a thought. After reading so much about this issue, I've come to think there are some serious problems with this electrical systems of these GLs, but a new belt, new alternator, and new battery and, fingers crossed, mine's better. But, given how incredibly dangerous this issue with our cars is starting to seem, I'm wondering if MB has any ideas about making it better permanently. I myself am a little nervous about driving my car anywhere off the beaten track, even with new alt, bat, and belt and wonder that I might not be a deadly road hazard if it could suddenly go again and I just lose everything on a dark freeway at 80mph. Eeeek.
It was years ago, but I recall one incident where my car “rebooted” at highway speed. When back from that long trip I mentioned it to dealer service advisor and he immediately recognized the problem, had a bulletin on it, and had it fixed. Pretty sure still under warranty at the time. Never again since.

So rather than lamenting the perceived “danger” you’re in, why not take the vehicle to your dealer and get it fixed?

I’ll grant that these vehicles are now old and probably many service advisors are new, but it’s still your best recourse. Why not also thoroughly search the forum for related posts?
Old 11-21-2019, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by lkchris
It was years ago, but I recall one incident where my car “rebooted” at highway speed. When back from that long trip I mentioned it to dealer service advisor and he immediately recognized the problem, had a bulletin on it, and had it fixed. Pretty sure still under warranty at the time. Never again since.

So rather than lamenting the perceived “danger” you’re in, why not take the vehicle to your dealer and get it fixed?

I’ll grant that these vehicles are now old and probably many service advisors are new, but it’s still your best recourse. Why not also thoroughly search the forum for related posts?
weird things happen when the battery is at end of life...

but;

these symptoms he’s describing should also be attributed to water intrusion - water getting into the front passenger footwell via the cabin filter box; soaking battery bus bars or getting in via the rear passenger d-pillar area and causing havoc in the electronics there.

happened to me on a dark desert night in our pos GL320CDI with 15k on the clock. Scary as scary can be.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by SupaSaggi
This has happened to me a couple of times. Just the computer suddenly goes and then reboots. I didn't hear a thump, but when the alternator/battery started really tanking, I would find the abs light would come on, then the brake light, then it would stop shifting and just go into neutral, usually in the span of a minute or two. So, the thump might have been it suddenly downshifting or throwing the brake on for a second. When I first got it and had starting issues, I had it checked a couple times and was always told that the battery and alternator were fine, until this last great adventure. One thing I did notice is that with the oil filler right above the alternator and pulley, when I was investigating this there was a lot of oil on the stuff below and around the filler cup. I think it's possible that the oil might have had the belt slipping a lot and may have even gummed up the pulley enough to eventually kill it. But, just a thought. After reading so much about this issue, I've come to think there are some serious problems with this electrical systems of these GLs, but a new belt, new alternator, and new battery and, fingers crossed, mine's better. But, given how incredibly dangerous this issue with our cars is starting to seem, I'm wondering if MB has any ideas about making it better permanently. I myself am a little nervous about driving my car anywhere off the beaten track, even with new alt, bat, and belt and wonder that I might not be a deadly road hazard if it could suddenly go again and I just lose everything on a dark freeway at 80mph. Eeeek.
look for signs of water intrusion from the passenger side d-pillar...if you have water in either that’ll cause intermittent shorts causing these kind of random issues. Also look for moisture or water in the battery box and on the bus bars there - it’ll be getting in through the cabin air filter box if it’s wet there.

if that’s what it is you’ll have to fix the leaks and hope the electronics aren’t corroded enough to require replacement.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL320
Shutting off

Originally Posted by lkchris

I think if that was the answer sought, this would be "locate your nearest MB dealer" site. I bought my GL320 used and didn't get it 300 miles from TX, where I bought it, before it had this problem. I took it to the dealer in Athens, GA and was told "probably a bad battery"....prrrrrrobably...even though the battery and atl tested as fine. They also did me the fine service of charging me $200 for that drop of wisdom. I've taken it to MB in Greenville, SC and Augusta, GA and they each say something different, then hand me a bill for $200 for the diagnostic.
Sorry, don't mean to be grumpy about it, but having just a week ago been on a back, no signal, rural mountain road with no shoulders when the abs, then brake light came on then it suddenly shifted into neutral, I am not amused with this issue. Thank heaven for the kindness of strangers. Truly! The car is in the shop now and I'm having them just replace belt, alt, battery, cables.

So, if you took yours to MB and they knew exactly what it was and fixed it, can you share? I'd love to get this fixed, definitively, because I'm now really nervous to drive my car anywhere.