Winter tires for GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 GL550, 02 BMW 540 6spd, 13 Volvo XC70 T6 Polestar
Winter tires for GL550

Hi all,
Since I got my GL only last April, I didn't have a lot of opportunities to drive it through real snow and ice conditions. We had a good dump of snow in Calgary in May or so and I didn't like how the Pirelli Scorpion Zero performed - not enough grip in the wet snow so the traction control was constantly working and slowing me down which is no fun. I am planning to get good winter tires this time and now trying to decide which ones to get. I don't want to buy smaller wheels with tires because I don't like the look, and also price wise it is the same if I go for the r21 winter tires only. There are not a lot of tire options out there so I am trying to see what would you guys pick if you had to choose? The tires I am looking at are:

Blizzak DM-Z3 265/45 R21
Pirelli 295/40 R21 Winter Carving Edge with studs
or Pirelli Scorpion Winter 295/40R21 - new tire so not a lot of reviews out there...

All of them are around the same price. I am hoping that may be some of you have the experience with these particular tires and can weigh in on their performance. I used to run Blizzak Dm V1 on my Jeep GC in size 275/45 r20 and liked them but they were just a bit floaty on slippery surfaces due to the width I think. So this time if I go with 295/, I want to get them studded. Anyone running studded tires? How is the noise level?
Any other suggestions are welcome!
Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I can say that the best tires for that size of rim, which I have for my wifes GL is the Pirelli Scorpion. We have had this for two winters mounted on the factory rim with no problems. It is a very good tire with excellent traction for its size. The size is the factory size I settled on. The best part, I ordered a 2014 GL and its the exact same size tire so I am able to transfer the winter tire to the new vehicle when it arrives. From my experience, the Pirelli Scorpion is the one to choose. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 AM

Thanks 1st amg, I appreciate your advice. Scorpions winter are getting good reviews out there, rated first in comparison test done in Germany. I just have an itch to try studded tires, never had them before. The only thing that keeps me on the fence is the noise that comes with the studds. Also, according to the reviews I've read, the Pirellies Winter Carving are extra noisy in comparisons to other studded tires although rated in the top three for the performance.
Off-topic. Are you getting diesel again in your 14 GL? I had the same 3.0 engine in my Jeep GC. It was tuned with Brabus first and then Green Diesel tune which I liked better - so I recommend you try that, the tune wipes off that turbo lag from the get go. One thing that I didn't appreciate about the diesel engine is that it takes a while to warm up during the winter months.. The performance was nice though from that 3.0, that torque put many smiles on my face.
Nice toy you've got there!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Thanks for the compliment about the toy, I am trying to enjoy it a little longer as the car will be put away sometime in November if I am lucky! I am hoping fornat least one more day at the track. The 2014 GL is a Bluetec with the AMG appearence package as in our 2011. I think it is the way to go in the looks department, I just love the look of your GL550 and was thrilled in 2011 when MB introduced the big wheel and and side arches as an option. Anyway, the GL350 is an excellent family hauler for the wife and kids, amazing mileage and reliability. But, I do get annoyed on the first hint of turbo lag when I first dip into the throttle, so thanks for the advice on tunes to get rid of that. Apparently the new generation GL350 has a little less of that lag, we shall see. What part of Canada are you at? We are banned from the studded tires, and I can imagine that they are noisy.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:07 AM

The AMG package is the way to go, it looks great! I think the guys in the states can't even get the AMG appearance package unless they go for GL550 X166. Canada gets this package with all of the models as an option, which is nice.
I live in Calgary, AB so the studded tires are allowed out here. I think I will go with the new Scorpion Winter tire though. They should work fine for our winters here.