GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Timing Chain Stretched!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
97 S600 coupe/gf 16 C300 Lux. Former: 08 GL450, 83 300D, 97 C230, 08 c300 luxury, 92 500SL, 93 400E
After owning 6 MBs in the past 11 years (jesus, I have a problem), I have learned a lot, which I wish could reach the community of buyers before they make bad choices.

1) Always take any new car to the dealer for all services while it's under warranty
2) Play dumb, whine, complain, , do your research on known issues for your model,be the squeaky wheel while the car is still under warranty, and get things fixed PROACTIVELY
3) Find posts from techs or make friends as best you can with a tech at your dealer. In your case, when I was considering which GL to pick, I got carried away with fantasy of 22mpg in a GL, and almost picked a 320 over my 450. When I told my MB dealer tech, his quotable rebuke was "I'd rather have herpes than an OM642 diesel." It's a flawed design, much like the OM-whatever it was in 91 with the cracking heads,

Careful research and adherence to these practices are critical when making a $70k purchase that has cost to own potential of another $70k over the next 10 years

Last edited by will_w204; 10-29-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:03 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by will_w204
When I told my MB dealer tech, his quotable rebuke was "I'd rather have herpes than an OM642 diesel."
lol... i love it...

the statement above is simply incorrect and product of ignorance.

the om642 is one of the most stout diesel engines right up there with toyota's best. it is a proven wide-spread platform based on another long term proven platform. the motor is bulletproof when maintaned properly

speaking of which- the only drawback i am aware of is that it does not have high tolerance to mis-maintenance. which should not come as a surprise considering it is german and it is a diesel.

Last edited by alx; 10-30-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL350
Final update: Traded the pile in.

Replaced with a 2014 Sequoia Platinum. Other than mpg, the truck is better in every way. Love the power, interior, and modern electronics (MB is a joke in that department).

Supercharging (and retaining warranty) next month.

If you need a massive family hauler that can tow, burn rubber, and stay on the road more than visit the dealer I highly recommend.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Glad you like the Sequoia - I didn't know they were made with DieselPower?
Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 V167
Big Gas

The Sequoia is only gas, big gas. Like 16mpg....
Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 AM

GL350
Correct, 5.7 liter gas v8.

I purposely ordered a non-flex fuel engine as well. You can supercharge the engine and retain the factory warranty. Puts you over 500hp. With a few small mods after that you are close to 500 hp at the wheels.

Mileage? Sucks, but for an almost 3 ton vehicle that hauls 8 I am not complaining.

Sure is nice to be able to fuel up ANYWHERE and not be blamed for "poor fuel"/etc. Also digging the fact that the truck is so freaking tank like. The GL felt like a tin can compared to this.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml500
I recently left the Sequoia for the GL after owning 3 different vehicles in 10 years (2002, 2005, 2006). I left for the higher mileage and longevity of the diesel. The resale value of the Sequoia dropped when the miles were over 130,000. The reliability of the Sequoia was awesome as I only need to do brakes, oil and tires in the ten years. It was long past due for the timing belt replacement on the last vehicle and I would have done it if I was going to keep the vehicle. The Toyota dealer is only a few miles away and I've never been there. If the GL 320 has similar reliability then the change will have been worth it.

If they made the Sequoia with a diesel I would have stayed with the Toyota.

Last edited by ml500_; 11-05-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:26 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by ml500_
I recently left the Sequoia for the GL after owning 3 different vehicles in 10 years (2002, 2005, 2006). I left for the higher mileage and longevity of the diesel. The resale value of the Sequoia dropped when the miles were over 130,000. The reliability of the Sequoia was awesome as I only need to do brakes, oil and tires in the ten years. It was long past due for the timing belt replacement on the last vehicle and I would have done it if I was going to keep the vehicle. The Toyota dealer is only a few miles away and I've never been there. If the GL 320 has similar reliability then the change will have been worth it.

If they made the Sequoia with a diesel I would have stayed with the Toyota.
I wish you luck. You'll find quickly there is a reason you don't find many GL's over 100,000 miles.

Your statement about resale dropping AFTER 130,000 miles is a positive thing. Most people are driving them into the ground which speaks good about their reliability.

I hear you on the diesel, however after driving the Sequoia for a few days AND reading up on the supercharger option....let's just say I'll live with "bad" mpg when I'm grinning with a 4 tire smoke show on "Dad" days.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 PM

2021 V167
well...

well, to each of his own.

My sister had a Sequoia and it feels rental car cheap to me. The interior plastics and seats feel disposable. The truck is three years old and the exterior door handles "chrome" is wrinkling, it appears to be a chrome sticker wrapped handle. Dont get me wrong as i have had three Land Cruisers, Toyota makes a good product mechanically. It is just the newer generation products feel so more "domestic" like a ford or chevrolet.

I am sure it will be a good vehicle for you but i have had good luck with my Diesel GL and enjoy almost 30mpg highway mileage.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom
well, to each of his own.

My sister had a Sequoia and it feels rental car cheap to me. The interior plastics and seats feel disposable. The truck is three years old and the exterior door handles "chrome" is wrinkling, it appears to be a chrome sticker wrapped handle. Dont get me wrong as i have had three Land Cruisers, Toyota makes a good product mechanically. It is just the newer generation products feel so more "domestic" like a ford or chevrolet.

I am sure it will be a good vehicle for you but i have had good luck with my Diesel GL and enjoy almost 30mpg highway mileage.
That's about the only thing I found better in the GL (the interior that is).

I got the "Platinum" version which helps a bit (real leather, better electronics, etc).

All cars are a compromise I find, however I rather have a more "domestic" interior and be able to drive the car more vs. pretty car sitting in a service bay all it's life.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:42 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol. my best man has a sequoia. bought it last year brand new.

it is big, round, rental design and execution, characterless, reliable appliance. drove it a few times. the thing is dead.

but... its infotainment is 3-5 years ahead of the gl. thats a fact.

you want to supercharge it to leave 4 burnout marks on takeoff? a 6000 pound truck? why? you are doing it all wrong. it is a people mover, not a racer. if you have any doubts once you install the blower, take the truck to your local track day and see how you hold up against 140hp miatas... or pretty much anything else on the track.

but if you like it- good luck....
Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I can't blame him for wanting something with more power for passing, acceleration, and towing. It's not like he is going to take it to Willow Springs.

They are getting around 430 to 460 RWHP with headers, injectors, and exhaust. That's pretty respectable for a bolt on supercharger that will still carry the manufacturer's warranty. The supercarger doesn't change the soul of the machine but it may make it a little more bearable and dare I say more fun to drive.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:57 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlownV8
I can't blame him for wanting something with more power for passing, acceleration, and towing. It's not like he is going to take it to Willow Springs.

They are getting around 430 to 460 RWHP with headers, injectors, and exhaust. That's pretty respectable for a bolt on supercharger that will still carry the manufacturer's warranty. The supercarger doesn't change the soul of the machine but it may make it a little more bearable and dare I say more fun to drive.
you will be stuck firmly in single digits mpg around town and not much more on the highway. this gets old quickly especially if it appears that mpg is important to you (otherwise he would have gotten a gasoline gl in the first place).

just my 2 cents.

whatever floats his boat
Old 11-08-2013, 05:22 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by alx
you will be stuck firmly in single digits mpg around town and not much more on the highway. this gets old quickly especially if it appears that mpg is important to you (otherwise he would have gotten a gasoline gl in the first place).

just my 2 cents.

whatever floats his boat

Unfortunately you lack actual knowledge in many areas.

Take a quick second to Google real world results with the Tundra/Sequoia's and the supercharger kit. Guys are seeing 14 mpg.

SURE...if I was driving WOT all the time MPG would be single digits, then again so would the precious GL550.

BTW, go take a minute to look up stats on the GL550 (weight and hp) vs a s/c Tundra/Sequoia. You should quickly come to the realization that the only seeing tailights would be the MB owner.

Also, find me a stock Miata doing 12's in the 1/4 mile (which the aforementioned Toyota's will with the supercharger).

Must have hit a nerve with you when a "cheap" brand is mentioned that is more reliable and faster than a car twice it's price.

Last edited by jasonjeross; 11-08-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by BlownV8

Exactly. Same with the GL trucks. Is anyone REALLY intending to race one?

Sequoia with supercharger = warranty + occasional "fun". Nothing more or less.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

No nerves hit. Enjoy.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:37 PM

GL 350 Bluetec 2015
Timing Chain issue

I am sitting here laughing because its funny but its not. I have the same issue with my 2011 GL350, which I purchased new. This clatter upon initial start after sitting over night or for an extended period of time was explained to me by the MB techs that the synthetic oil is much thinner so it takes a couple of seconds to be pumped throughout the engine and thus the noise is the metal engine parts moving before the oil gets to them, only last about 3-4 seconds. I call BS, while this was happening, my CEL (check engine light) was coming on frequently and I constantly had to take it back to the dealer. The CEL can mean anything apparently; overtime I took it in for the CEL and this is what I paid to have fixed: 3 NOX sensors in the front of the CAT converter, one under warranty, two on me, the rear NOX sensor for a CEL, that was on my dime. This time when the CEL came on I was told it was the Cam positioning sensor, that was on my dime. I was driving in Colorado from Texas and the CEL came on again, went to the nearest dealer and they told me it was my timing chain and tensioner pulley. Ok, 1200$ to fix it but i waited because it was a chain, and continued to drive it from Colorado to NC and then back to Texas. Upon arrival back to TX, the light went out but I still have the clutter upon start after sitting for a while. The truck drives fine but sometimes, it takes a few seconds to start when the button is pushed. Is it the chain or what? This problem happened early because I heard that noise before 50K miles, now I have 80K miles and the CEL randomly comes on for this issue. The truck is a beast on the highway, great range, over 650 miles per tank and rides smooth. I tow a 30" Kodiak Dutchmen and wonder if this has anything to do with it. It is below the 7500lbs so that should not be an issue. I heard there is a new chain that MB had come out with to resolve this issue. I think they should pay for it and not us. I have never had to put brakes on it yet, the MB techs say I don't need any, weird. If so many of us are having issues with the exact same issue, maybe its a manufacturer problem, not ours. What can we do to have MB pay for this? Something has to be done and I am not going back to a GAS engine. Should I trade for a 15 or fix and ride the 11? thoughts
Old 05-31-2015, 03:15 PM

2021 V167
timing chain

I have previously posted on the same issue on my 2011 GL350 as well. After going through from 38k being told its a diesel and they all sound like that to having the timing chain replaced I would say replace it soon as you can as it will only further wear the sprockets on the cams/crank and my require those replacements if you wait too long. I had mine replaced under a partial warranty claim and it has been great since. The sound did not show up until 38k-ish, but got worse for sure. There is a TSB for this (even though MB does not call it a TSB).

I went through the same thought process you have and I am very happy deciding to keep it and have it fixed rather than trade it off. I tow a Airstream and there is really nothing as nice or efficient as the GL for a daily driver as well as a tow vehicle. I can get 30mpg car alone and 16mpg towing.

Just change the chain and keep your rig rolling to 300k+. Also with the new oil weight changes and the spec 229.52 try to run higher weights of oil, steering clear of the 0w-30 as it is crazy light weight oil for max gvwr towing in super hot weather like we have in Texas.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:14 PM

GL350
Simply amazing

I have previously posted on the same issue on my 2011 GL350 as well. After going through from 38k being told its a diesel and they all sound like that to having the timing chain replaced I would say replace it soon as you can as it will only further wear the sprockets on the cams/crank and my require those replacements if you wait too long. I had mine replaced under a partial warranty claim and it has been great since. The sound did not show up until 38k-ish, but got worse for sure. There is a TSB for this (even though MB does not call it a TSB).

I went through the same thought process you have and I am very happy deciding to keep it and have it fixed rather than trade it off. I tow a Airstream and there is really nothing as nice or efficient as the GL for a daily driver as well as a tow vehicle. I can get 30mpg car alone and 16mpg towing.

Just change the chain and keep your rig rolling to 300k+. Also with the new oil weight changes and the spec 229.52 try to run higher weights of oil, steering clear of the 0w-30 as it is crazy light weight oil for max gvwr towing in super hot weather like we have in Texas.
Are you seriously advocating this? Unless they completely redesigned the timing chain, followers, tensioners, etc I don't see why ANYONE would have faith in this not happening again.

Why is that MB owners think that major repairs under 100k miles are "OK" or "Normal". I now know that the only people who buy a Mercedes are either status symbol chasers or people that erroneously believe their cars are still quality (they aren't look around).

Got news, that was what we called the 80's/early 90's. I think they want their pieces of shat back.

FYI: The Sequoia just turned 46000 miles. Guess how many times (and for what) the truck has been at the dealer? Twice. For..............Free oil changes.

F-U Mercedes.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:42 PM

GL320
If so many of us are having issues with the exact same issue, maybe its a manufacturer problem, not ours. What can we do to have MB pay for this? Something has to be done and I am not going back to a GAS engine. Should I trade for a 15 or fix and ride the 11? thoughts[/QUOTE]

Make sure everyone share this cheese cake and me too.
Attached Files
Old 06-04-2015, 11:24 PM

2021 V167
MinChau

That service bulletin is for a gas engine. Our OM 642 diesels do not have secondary timing chains, just one long one.

Replace the chain before you do any further sprocket wear and enjoy your diesel mileage or buy a Honda!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:08 AM

GL350
That service bulletin is for a gas engine. Our OM 642 diesels do not have secondary timing chains, just one long one.

Replace the chain before you do any further sprocket wear and enjoy your diesel mileage or buy a Honda!
Or any other manufacturer's vehicle that has a timing chain that doesn't "stretch" under 100,000 miles.

Seriously silly advice here. Why would ANYONE pay $4000 + every 50k or so miles (mine s**t the bed at 50k) for a timing chain job? This is NOT a timing BELT.

There are faster, more reliable, and frankly cheaper alternatives to the GL350. The "savings" of the diesel are negated by the crap reliability and overpriced parts.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:31 AM

GL320
"Seriously silly advice here. Why would ANYONE pay $4000 + every 50k or so miles (mine s**t the bed at 50k) for a timing chain job? This is NOT a timing BELT."

A local mechanic quoted me for $1500 to replace the Left and Right Timing chain extender and a timing chain.

Why in US cost so much?
Old 06-05-2015, 12:45 AM

GL320

KrustyKustom but it's look like we are all have similar problem with rattling sound when it cold

Some people said the hydro.... pump not pump the oil fast enough to lubricate the timing chain that cause rattle sound/grinding metal..........

When it cold (-5 to -10) I do warm up the car in the garage with the pedal run below 2000rpm for 2 minutes and it helped!

My 2009 only 43000km
Changed the heater element cost me $150, I printed the instruction 's picture from this site buy the OEM part gave it to smart guy>Done.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by jasonjeross
Are you seriously advocating this? Unless they completely redesigned the timing chain, followers, tensioners, etc I don't see why ANYONE would have faith in this not happening again.

Why is that MB owners think that major repairs under 100k miles are "OK" or "Normal". I now know that the only people who buy a Mercedes are either status symbol chasers or people that erroneously believe their cars are still quality (they aren't look around).

Got news, that was what we called the 80's/early 90's. I think they want their pieces of shat back.

FYI: The Sequoia just turned 46000 miles. Guess how many times (and for what) the truck has been at the dealer? Twice. For..............Free oil changes.

F-U Mercedes.

You have a turbo diesel Sequoia?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Stretched!?!?!?