GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Remove GL450 Headlamp Assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gL450
Remove GL450 Headlamp Assembly

How do you remove the 2008 headlamp assembly?
Old 01-06-2017, 10:51 AM

GL 350CDI BlueEfficiency
Anyone?
Old 01-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL550
Walmart charges few bucks "around $15" for labor to install a new one that you provide. Not sure of the level of experience here...

The dealer is another option, it depends on the project itself.

See if this helps:
Old 01-08-2017, 01:10 PM

2015 GL550
or this
Old 01-08-2017, 01:14 PM

2015 GL550
You'll need three beers, a crowbar, a quarter stick of dynamite, and a Bible. Well, unless you plan on puttin' them back in.

Source: https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...eadlights.html

I'm planning on replacing them since they started tinting, and have humidity/water inside, so this is my next summer project.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 572 Likes on 481 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by kain78
You'll need three beers, a crowbar, a quarter stick of dynamite, and a Bible. Well, unless you plan on puttin' them back in.
I'm pleased to announce it's not THAT bad. I had to remove the light housing because I got one of my LED replacement bulbs stuck in the space between the entry point and the reflector. After spending an insane amount of time trying to pull the bulb out, I decided the only way was to remove the assembly and shake in a vertical position. My son had helpfully suggested moving the whole car into a vertical position, but fortunately I got him to shut up.

Here's the basics:
1. Remove the front grille. Note this may not be necessary, but I was doing it because mine needed replacement.
2. From top, remove the torx screw connecting the bumper cover to the plastic underneath it.
3. Remove three pop-pins and one 10mm nut from fender liner. Bend fender liner down.
4. Remove two 10mm bolts inside fender liner, one mounting fender and bumper cover to vehicle body, and one mounting headlight assembly to body.
5. Remove one torx screw tying bumper cover to fender.
6. The bumper cover is now attached to the fender by a long (approx. 8") clip. This clip surrounds inner lips on both the fender and bumper cover, clamping them together. This clip has a pin in it that restricts the bumper cover to sliding out only in the forward direction. This pin is in the fore end of the clip; if you rotate the aft end of the clip toward the car, it will lift clear of the inner lips. The whole clip can then be moved in the aft direction, free of the lips on the bumper cover and fender.
7. I think there are also two 10mm bolts on the underside of the bumper cover, attaching it to the underbody. We had removed the bottom cover as well.
8. The side of the bumper cover can now be rotated forward; it does not need to be very far forward to provide clearance for the headlight assembly.
9. Remove two 10mm bolts at the top of the headlight assembly. While coaxing it out, pull the bumper cover forward to give it room to leave.
10. Possibly support the bumper cover; we found it didn't seem to mind holding itself up.

The only tricky part about reassembly was getting the fender and bumper cover aligned together to slide the clip on. It's a tight fit, which is why I came up with the idea of aligning the two and then maneuvering the clip into place, pin first and then rotating the rest of the clip onto the two lips together.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:56 AM

ML500 2006
I know it's been a few years you did this but I am in a middle of a struggle to reassemble fender to bumper clip and I cant figure out where the rubber shim goes? Between fender lip and clip? OR between fender and bumper lip ? OR others. Thank you
Old 09-19-2022, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 572 Likes on 481 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by MLwrencher
I know it's been a few years you did this but I am in a middle of a struggle to reassemble fender to bumper clip and I cant figure out where the rubber shim goes? Between fender lip and clip? OR between fender and bumper lip ? OR others. Thank you
Pretty sure the rubber goes on the plastic bumper side.

You could take off the fender liner on the opposite side to check.

I have gotten rid of those plastic pop rivets. Just assemble without them. If the absence bothers you, get some stainless (if in snow country) screws and clip nuts.
The following users liked this post:
MLwrencher (09-19-2022)
Old 06-09-2023, 12:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Walmart charges few bucks "around $15" for labor to install a new one that you provide. Not sure of the level of experience here...

See if this helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAfalcN_4pQ
$15 has to be to replace a bulb, not the assembly.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Mercedes gl450

See if this helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAfalcN_4pQ
This video gives some good input for the GL450, but also suggests some things that need not be done. While it is necessary to loosen the bumper so that it moves forward, it is not necessary to actually remove it. Aside from that, it is not necessary to separately remove the grill or the fog/DRL light assembly. The grill, bumper and lights in the bumper can remain together. These aren't big differences but it takes enough time just removing what you have to.