GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Rare 2007 GL (Looking for some information and help)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
19E450A, 16C450W4, 16RRS SC Dynamic, etc
Originally Posted by gwernerjr
Hey this pic below is the tri zone climate screen. I have looked at other 2007s with it, it is different. the one you see is the simple three zone climate where it blocks out the rear fan control, versus the one with the screen where the rear can pick temp and air location as well. Also the front seats passengers get individual air location buttons. take a look

http://photos.ecarlist.com/1S/Mg/X2/.../Hi/Pg_800.jpg

it was rare and had additional vents in the ceiling in the rear as well as solar glass

Notice the vents in the ceiling : http://photos.ecarlist.com/ww/oW/2i/.../jA/7w_800.jpg

Notice no vents in the ceiling on the one im looking at: http://www.cstatic-images.com/supers...22/5192/15.jpg

And yes that is the car

I'm afraid I owe you an apology...things were very different for the 2009 model year (which is odd, because they face-lifted it in 2010, but I know they changed things like the wheel, head-unit, etc for 2009). It seems as though for 2007, you have basic 2 zone, a 2 zone with a beyond basic 3rd zone climate control but no ventilation in the ceiling when you got seat heaters, and a 3 zone (with that display) that has ventilation.

I know that things are very different for my '09 -- there is two zone and 3 zone, two zone is only the front two, no rear control, and 3 zone has full rear control, and ceiling ventilation. I have the three zone in my '09.

So, yes, you're correct, and I apologize. The car indeed has two zone climate with an extremely basic third zone but no additional ventilation.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL
I have done way too much research on this model since a year before there were even picture of the car in 2005.5; There were only two configurations:

2 zone with rear controls for fan (hence the rear lock button up front)

3 zone with full rear controls and rear ceiling vents (has a rear temp dial and fan control)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 AM

GL
Originally Posted by cjaredscott
I'm afraid I owe you an apology...things were very different for the 2009 model year (which is odd, because they face-lifted it in 2010, but I know they changed things like the wheel, head-unit, etc for 2009). It seems as though for 2007, you have basic 2 zone, a 2 zone with a beyond basic 3rd zone climate control but no ventilation in the ceiling when you got seat heaters, and a 3 zone (with that display) that has ventilation.

I know that things are very different for my '09 -- there is two zone and 3 zone, two zone is only the front two, no rear control, and 3 zone has full rear control, and ceiling ventilation. I have the three zone in my '09.

So, yes, you're correct, and I apologize. The car indeed has two zone climate with an extremely basic third zone but no additional ventilation.

No worries. It gets complicated because with the addition of the premium 2 package in 2008, a lot of the smaller packages like tri zone climate and lighting packages were incorporated. Mercedes went away from that concept more recently again because they realize people do not need a million things in one package with no other way to get said things like xenons for example.

It is interesting if you go on the site for the car where it is for sale it says iridium silver. The info they have is all wrong. They have it listed with a power tailgate (which is part of premium 1 pkg) and they have the rear seat ent listed but the one in the car is an aftermarket one (probably because it was the first factory dvd system and was delayed availability)
So the info i posted on the previous page comes from aol autos via the mercedes benz option database.

I looked at a very similar one about a year ago. It was a 2007 with:

Iridium Silver Metallic
Gray Leather Seats

Premium 1 pkg
Lighting pkg
Multicontour seat pkg

Heating pkg
sunroof pkg

Leather pkg

Backup camera

Distronic

Voice Control

20” tyndarides accessory rims

It had multicontour seats and reaview camera,

but no keyless go, off road pkg, trailer hitch, or ventilated seats.

Looked at it, drove it, loved it, slept on it, it was sold the next day before I could get it. If only I didn't tell him how rare distronic was...

Last edited by gwernerjr; 01-22-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
the 07 3-zone is with rear temperature dial and ceiling vents. there is no other flavor.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by alx
the 07 3-zone is with rear temperature dial and ceiling vents. there is no other flavor.
Yes, but there are 2 2-zones: one with only the front two, and one that has a fan speed controller for the back if you get RSE or heated rear seats (see 2007 GL owners manual)
Old 01-22-2014, 11:16 AM

Okay, so some of my contacts got back to me (and others are getting back to me). I learned that the car indeed was owned by Mercedes-Benz USA in the beginning, and was indeed serviced at Mercedes-Benz of Littleton. MBUSA (owner according to a contact) brought in the car complaining about a "soft brake pedal" and that the car was "veering to the right" but when the dealership offered to do an alignment and to fix the brake pedal, the owner (according to my contact, MBUSA) did nothing. Have you driven this car?

One of my contacts at MBUSA agreed with me that this is certainly an odd car given what it has (see next sentance), the sale (in 2010 and where it was before that), etc. They're getting back to me about the Ventilated seats (confirmed as never being an option), the 10x100 tachometer, the RSE, the "Bright Silver Metallic" color (which was never a color), 018A/M and R61, the skid plates, and the solar laminated glass. They said that the car was likely US, otherwise it wouldn't have come up in there system, but that it could be Canada and it definitely wasn't "sold" until 2010. The production date was in March of 2006. When my contact tried to identify which dealer ordered the vehicle/who ordered it, my contact received a bunch of error codes. My contact will be getting back to me about this, and as soon as he/she does, I'll post.

By the way -- I'm super interested in this car -- not for buying it but because it's so odd and cool!
Old 01-22-2014, 01:08 PM

GL
Yes, but there are 2 2-zones: one with only the front two, and one that has a fan speed controller for the back if you get RSE or heated rear seats (see 2007 GL owners manual)

You are totally correct. If you get a non premium 1 or non entertainment pkg vehicle it has a different rear setup but is still a 2 zone.

When you order either the entertainment pkg (included in p1) or premium 1 pkg, it adds the rear seat audio controls and a fan control for the rear climate even though it is 2 zone. The only way to get the heating package (heated rear seats) is to also get p1 so you would have the rear audio controls anyway.

so basically you would have to find a non p1 non ent pkg vehicle to see the compete base setup. And trust me they are rare. Even without p1 which is so few, they still usually always have ent.

Its like finding a GLK without p1 and without pano roof; super rare.

And I have not had a chance to drive it as I will have to travel to check it out.

I am super interested and I love that you are too. Most people blow this stuff off.

Last edited by gwernerjr; 01-22-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 PM

GL
Okay, so some of my contacts got back to me (and others are getting back to me). I learned that the car indeed was owned by Mercedes-Benz USA in the beginning, and was indeed serviced at Mercedes-Benz of Littleton. MBUSA (owner according to a contact) brought in the car complaining about a "soft brake pedal" and that the car was "veering to the right" but when the dealership offered to do an alignment and to fix the brake pedal, the owner (according to my contact, MBUSA) did nothing. Have you driven this car?

One of my contacts at MBUSA agreed with me that this is certainly an odd car given what it has (see next sentance), the sale (in 2010 and where it was before that), etc. They're getting back to me about the Ventilated seats (confirmed as never being an option), the 10x100 tachometer, the RSE, the "Bright Silver Metallic" color (which was never a color), 018A/M and R61, the skid plates, and the solar laminated glass. They said that the car was likely US, otherwise it wouldn't have come up in there system, but that it could be Canada and it definitely wasn't "sold" until 2010. The production date was in March of 2006. When my contact tried to identify which dealer ordered the vehicle/who ordered it, my contact received a bunch of error codes. My contact will be getting back to me about this, and as soon as he/she does, I'll post.

By the way -- I'm super interested in this car -- not for buying it but because it's so odd and cool!

• the 10x100 tach?

• And the RSE is aftermarket I am sure; and I would have it taken out so ugly

• The rims R61 are weird because they were only available on the premier edition. Not ever as a stand alone option. They werent even available as an accessory as the two accessory rims were the 20" tyndarides and 19" aldhanab offerings.

• I am telling you bright silver metallic was never available in 2007 regardless of whether you can get touch up paint. You can get touch up paint for VW vehicles with colors not available in the US as my friends have so I wouldn't put it past benz to do the same thing.

• It does not have skid plates because they were probably not ready for production. Many of the early ones did not have them. I remember reading about it when some off road pkg 2007s were missing them.

• The car does not have solar laminated glass. I misread the print sheet. Just tinted glass which was standard. The solar laminated glass came in the tri zone climate package (although was undocumented).

• I'm very curious about who ordered it and its origin. I want it.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 320 Likes on 267 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
weird everywhere I look it says just iridium silver. I even checked cars.com. Does anyone have a bright silver gl?

Seems the marketing name for the paint color and the Datacard name don't always align.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:39 PM

GL
Originally Posted by N_Jay
Seems the marketing name for the paint color and the Datacard name don't always align.

I see. Can anyone confirm the iridium silver code to see if they are different?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 PM

Okay -- I just spoke with my contacts at MBUSA. They said to me that ventilated seats were indeed an option (by special request). They said that the color is a factory color. They said that it was not a pre-production car. They didn't know about 018A/M. But, they said it indeed was sold in 2010 for the first time.

I know this doesn't really help, but still, I hope it does.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:40 PM

GL
Okay -- I just spoke with my contacts at MBUSA. They said to me that ventilated seats were indeed an option (by special request). They said that the color is a factory color. They said that it was not a pre-production car. They didn't know about 018A/M. But, they said it indeed was sold in 2010 for the first time.

I know this doesn't really help, but still, I hope it does.

I mean i know it was a factory color; the discrepancy is whether or not it was available in the US

Also what does "by special request" mean. Is that like mercedes special order surcharge where it unlocks other options? I know someone who ordered a CLS with the special order rear heated seats which were not listed on the option sheet unless you paid extra for specical order.

So if it was not a pre production car then why was it not sold until 2010 and who/what were they doing with it until then?

Where was it delivered?!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:11 PM

I mean i know it was a factory color; the discrepancy is whether or not it was available in the US

Also what does "by special request" mean. Is that like mercedes special order surcharge where it unlocks other options? I know someone who ordered a CLS with the special order rear heated seats which were not listed on the option sheet unless you paid extra for specical order.

So if it was not a pre production car then why was it not sold until 2010 and who/what were they doing with it until then?

Where was it delivered?!
With response to the who ordered it question, that was Mercedes-Benz USA themselves.

I think the special request is indeed a surcharge for ordering options not typically available (s.a. 10x100 tach, 20" wheels, color, ventilated front seats, etc).

So Mercedes-Benz USA themselves kept the car, and did whatever they did with it (unknown to me or any of my contacts) until they decided to sell it in 2010. That could have been using it as a loaner, using it as a showroom car, driving it all around the world for demos, etc. We don't really know.

But, MBUSA did order it custom (very custom) and they used the car for whatever they used it for. We can't verify that the odometer hasn't been rolled back because it was only ever serviced once (but let me point this out: if MBUSA owned it for 3 years, they likely accumulated more than 14,000 miles on it.)

Overall, this car was ordered incredibly custom by MB -- other than that, it seems like a normal GL. But, we don't know what they used it for and I still would believe that the odometer has been rolled back countless times. And, it also was never serviced at an authorized MB dealership except for once.

By the way, if you notice the tachometer, traditional GL tachometers read a single digit number multiplied by 1000 for the RPMs, while this GL reads a double digit number multiplied by 100. That's usually a European thing.