GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

tips: replacing rear air suspension of GL450

Old 05-03-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
2007 GL450
Lightbulb tips: replacing rear air suspension of GL450

thanks to the help from this board, just replaced the rear air suspension of GL450 using Arnott Air suspension. It's the first time i worked on the GL450 so it took me two hours for one airbag. The difficult steps (for me) are listed in the following together with the best solutions i figured out.

1. jack point. Took me a while to find the proper jack points. I used two jack points as shown in the picture.

2. unscrew the old air fitting. there is not much room around it to unscrew the old air fitting. so I pulled the airbag off the retaining clip first, then unscrewed the air fitting.

3. put on the tire. this is quite difficult, since the wheel and tire together are quite heavy. just need two people to do it.

all other steps are exactly as shown in the Arnott's instruction, and in Arnott's video on youtube.
Attached Thumbnails tips: replacing rear air suspension of GL450-jackpoints.jpg   tips: replacing rear air suspension of GL450-rotatit.jpg   tips: replacing rear air suspension of GL450-un-screw.jpg