GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

weight distribution hitch and airmatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 11:58 AM

Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts
2006 R500
Originally Posted by N_Jay
It does not and can not transfer the load. All it does is level the car.

The GL has a fairly long rear overhang, so the trailer hitch has significant leverage on the rear axle (lifting weight off the front axle)

I have no idea how you adjusted (or misadjusted) the WDH, but would like to know what you felt when driving that seemed 'wrong'.
A WDH absolutely transfers the load. Specifically, it takes weight off the rear axle and distributes them to the front and trailer axles. Technically it does not lower the tongue weight, though it does change the forces involved.

Euro SUVs have fairly short overhangs as compared to American SUVs and trucks. Exception being the Durango and Grand Cherokee (2011 generation) as they were based on the W166 and X166 frames.

Originally Posted by six weeds
N Jay,

Thanks for the info. The factory hitch I found has the factory female connector and wiring harness. It should just plug in to a connector in the right or left LED brake light assembly. Do I still have to have the vehicle programmed, or is it plug and play?

Thanks!
Factory harness will plug into the rear SAM; there should be an open connection for it. You will need to reprogram the rear SAM and central gateway for trailer recognition and operation of trailer lights.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 383 Likes on 319 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Tsumi
A WDH absolutely transfers the load. Specifically, it takes weight off the rear axle and distributes them to the front and trailer axles.
Yes, but the air suspension WILL NOT even though some think it does because it levels. (This was my point)
Originally Posted by Tsumi
Factory harness will plug into the rear SAM; there should be an open connection for it. You will need to reprogram the rear SAM and central gateway for trailer recognition and operation of trailer lights.
That is what I thought, but was not sure (Hence me vague answers)