GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Low frequency drivetrain noise at highway speeds.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL320 CDI
Low frequency drivetrain noise at highway speeds.

2008 GL320 with 88k miles. Original owner and properly serviced. No mechanical issues until now. Just noticed noise coming from what I believe to be the drivetrain. It is only at highway speeds. I can easily reproduce it by letting off the gas pedal, coast a little, and then lightly accelerate. It is a low frequency noise and actually sounds identical to driving over rumble strips...minus the vibration. It only lasts for a few seconds and then goes away. No noise with moderate to hard acceleration. I also intermittently notice it when starting from a start and lightly accelerating to highway speeds, but only lasts for a brief second.

Anyone have any insight or know the problem before I take it in to service?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:23 AM

GL450
Drivetrain Rumble GL450

We purchased a 2008 GL450 with 20K miles on it--like new except that I noticed in the first week of operation that it had a rumble coming from the right front side of the car that was especially noticeable at highway speed. We took it in for warranty inspection only to be told that it was "tire noise" and could not be helped. I knew that was not the case as I had worked for over 30 years in the R&D side of tire development--I know what tire noise is. But the dealership persisted and we got nowhere. 45K miles later (and a new set of tires) later, the noise is even more perceptible in the passenger cabin and even the radio does not overwhelm it. I believe it is a bearing in the front right side of the drivetrain or either a CV joint on that side. So we, I have not had any luck finding the source. I describe it as sounding like a bunch of natives playing on a hollow log with sticks at a very high rate. I can always feel a light vibration through the steering wheel and through my knee if I rest it against the side of the console. This condition along with a few other shortcomings have totally ruined our experience with this vehicle. The Mercedes Dealer called not long ago and asked if we were ready to trade the car and get another. I replied that "Mercedes Benz was dead last on my list of desireable vehicles at this point." In 65K total miles, this vehicle has developed the drivetrain rumble, cracked the radiator, failed the steering pump, and failed three of the four airbags. The window trim clear coat is also peeling off. That is a far cry from what I would describe as "quality" or "reliability".
Old 12-07-2014, 07:12 PM

2008 GL320 CDI
Turned out my issue was with the torque converter. Needed replacement. Not happy it took them a full day to diagnosis it. Talked to another mechanic over the phone the same day who said it was the torque converter in minutes. Even worse was finding out my M-B warranty expired when I thought drive train warranty was good til 100k miles...like many car companys now a days. Doubting if I want another M-B in future.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
97 S600 coupe/gf 16 C300 Lux. Former: 08 GL450, 83 300D, 97 C230, 08 c300 luxury, 92 500SL, 93 400E
Mine is a 2008 450 with 89k...............same as OP. I've developed a low-frequency whine/hum the last 2k. Luckily, I'm a 3/135 CPO.........will be addressing this along with a pixelated instrument cluster, and out of synch passenger side mirror at this week's service.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' GL550, 05' S55 (sold), 04' Yukon Denali XL, 05' 745il (sold), 01' 740il (sold)
My CPO is 3yrs/unlimited miles.

Have not experience that issue ( maybe not yet) I will keep an ear out.

Originally Posted by will_w204
Mine is a 2008 450 with 89k...............same as OP. I've developed a low-frequency whine/hum the last 2k. Luckily, I'm a 3/135 CPO.........will be addressing this along with a pixelated instrument cluster, and out of synch passenger side mirror at this week's service.