Wipers do not turn on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Wipers do not turn on

Turned the car on and the windshield was covered with light dew. Went to turn on the wipers and nothing happened. The washer fluid will spray (found that on accident), but that's it.

Last week the latch for the trunk was changed out. The week before that the SRS was fixed in the passenger front seat and the power steering hoses were changed due to leak, the sunroof switch was replaced. So far warranty has covered everything, but I have to wait 2 weeks for the dealer to make the appointment, and they never even get it in the shop until the end of that day. The costs have added up to over $5k before whatever the wipers will cost

Now I'm getting fed up with Mercedes and this GL which was a CPO when I bought it. It's been one thing after another within the last two months. Due to the Mercedes warranty and it only being serviced at the dealer I'm seriously thinking about cutting my loses.

I'm also at a lose as to what to do next....I'm gonna need something more reliable, but I'm starting to doubt that there is something. I've had many different cars in a short period of time.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:18 AM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
My condolensces. I went through a stretch like this with a BMW M3 once; seemed like there was a constant stream of problems. Once I got through the rough patch and got them fixed (I do all my own work and the car wasn't under warranty), it gave me another 8 or so years of reliable service before I sold it. I get the frustration and it's always hard to determine when the right time is to cut your losses. It could be that you fix all this stuff and the guy that inherits it from you enjoys years of reliable motoring. Or he could be even more screwed.

It sounds like you've had quite a few electrical items fail and that's exactly what I experienced with the BMW. They are difficult to diagnose and annoying, but at least the vehicle is driveable while you are dealing with them, as opposed to engine/driveline issues where the vehicle is dead in the driveway.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Sorry to hear about your issues. My GL has been very reliable.