GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

07 GL450 Battery Drain Saga

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 gl450
Battery drain

I know it may be a stupid question but could I simply replace the radio with another factory radio to eliminate the battery drain? I sat in the vehicle for an hour and heard the radio spinning at least 3 times so I’m pretty confident that the radio is draining the battery.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:31 PM

GL 450 Mercedes Benz
*****I purchased this 2007 GL450 4 Matic as a Birthday gift to myself. The Previous owner has a cord running from the front to the rear as if he had an after market Amp or Kicker Box speaker connected. Car needs a jump start after leaving it off over night. Where do I start the trouble shooting process? Has anyone had this issue with my year make and model?*****
Old 03-24-2020, 10:32 PM

GL 450 Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Have any of you with power drains related to the COMAND interface (DVD, NAV, Radio etc) checked for stuck buttons?
A constant key push signal may keep the central gateway from shutting off all but keep alive power when the key is removed and the driver's door is closed.
Haven't tested this but it's an easy enough troubleshooting step - press every button and check for stuck or binding action. Slinging coffee and kids yoghurt around the cabin will usually do that.
*****I purchased this 2007 GL450 4 Matic as a Birthday gift to myself. The Previous owner has a cord running from the front to the rear as if he had an after market Amp or Kicker Box speaker connected. Car needs a jump start after leaving it off over night. Where do I start the trouble shooting process? Has anyone had this issue with my year make and model?*****
Old 03-24-2020, 10:33 PM

GL 450 Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by GLBnzMan
So, wake up one morning, no advance warning ie sluggish battery previously and dead in the water. Jump it, run it considerably throughout the day. Dead again next morning. Assume battery has reached end of useful life. (it was a recently purchased used 07 GL with about 80K on it, had one previously from new, went to ML 2011 and quickly came back to my first Benz love)
Take a look at battery and hmmm - appears to have been replaced once already. So - really shouldn't need a new yet I would think. Take to parts store, test battery, appears fine according to conductive load test. now what?

Turn off all electrical convenience features, give it a good charge (but it never seems to want to get to full charge according to charger amp draw) Only have 2A and 10A charger settings and have heard you don't want to put more than 8A charge on these AGM batteries so go with 2A setting and start paying attention. Seem to hear RSE DVD spinning endlessly after key off. 10-15 minutes - then finally seems to go off but I continue to hear the Nav DVD doing a familiar disc access read clicking, that never stops. Turn everything off, have left off comand for days, step out of car in garage, shut door, leave window open so I can hear without having to open the door. Come back hours later. Disc access noises continues every 10 secs or so you can hear it doing something. Removed NAV DVD (it was HOT) with power off. Then you can still here is attempting to see if DVD still in the player. clunk......clunk and a little 'tink' in between from somewhere in the back (thinking the RSE)
This all seemed to start after setting Command to Rear and AUX settings when attempting to hook up ipod to RSE Aux inputs to listen to over speakers. (Never did get that to work) Remote for RSE seems to have few buttons that actually work.

With electrical features off, it's starting but some mornings barely. I just dont want to dump in a new battery unless I know I don't have a key off drain somewhere.

But - finally my question - any reason this device should continue to attempt to read and access the NAV DVD endlessly after key off. If I pull the fuse, will I not have other necessary functionality for driving. (don't care about loss of nav locations saves etc. haven't that many) But do care if I have to go and get something reset - reloaded etc once power is lost to CC. I wanted to leave fuse out for day or two and see if perceived battery drain issue ends. Don't have tools for accurate AMP draw test at key off. (Well I do have a very old volt, ohm, in line Amp meter) But according to this, at 11.8 to 12.1ish V my battery should be completely dead?!

Wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences. Next step key off draw test with and without Radio fuse in place I guess.... also wanted to verify fuse 25 (Radio) and should I pull fuse 23 for RSE at the same time?

Spent a lot of time looking for other posts on subject. All you folks are great I have to say.

Thanks for any advice that can be provided.

FYI - I have been experiencing a few other strange electricals. directional headlamps that want to go out for a few seconds after corner returns (right only) not certain if related or not.

Love the GL! (but after a lot of research here wondering if I might be on borrowed time for some pretty expensive repairs shortly.....suspension, struts, etc.)
Old 03-24-2020, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Beezalino - you only need to ask the question once!

Start with some of the suggestions presented above (read through every response) and then let us know what you've done. Otherwise, we may just be repeating ourselves for no good reason. Once we have more info, we can help better.

What does this "cord" connect to (on both ends)?