GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

CDI ECU Tuning mods with DAS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL320
CDI ECU Tuning mods with DAS

I managed to get into the Developer Settings on my ECU but everything there appears to be just a bunch of numbers. Has anyone found any options that result in a more responsive CDI and/or better MPG? I managed to lower my GL by 2 inches and it seems to make a little difference in the highway MPG.

To lower the car.
there are other posts about this and I am going from memory.
Raise car all the way up (using button in car)
Wait 2 min
Lower car (using button in car)
Under Airmatic->Initial Startup there should be a calibration field.
I lowered all four corners till they read the same position and then confirmed with a tape measure. Once you are done you can save and enter alignment values (must be in the range specified on the first screen) and it will accept the new value.

I would like to figure out how to turn off the EGR once the car is up to temp, figure out how to make the transmission shift to <1200RPM at city speeds (40MPH), and alter the throttle and turbo mapping. I would also like to figure out how to make it beep when I lock/unlock the car.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
You are playing with fire....

And I say that from the position of somebody that knows most of the stuff in the dev menus.

Please do not alter anything in the dev menus fungi value your wallet and sanity.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL320
Originally Posted by alx
You are playing with fire....

And I say that from the position of somebody that knows most of the stuff in the dev menus.

Please do not alter anything in the dev menus fungi value your wallet and sanity.
While I agree that some of those things could be devastating.... There are a lot of things that shouldn't hurt anything. Like enabling the lock/unlock beeper or removing the logos and warnings from the radio startup.... and so on.

If we have access to all that development data is there really anything that a chip tuner can do that we can't? I don't really care about the extra HP but 2-4MPG gain and reduced turbo lag would be really nice.

I am an electrical engineer and I design systems like this all the time. I am just curious what is possible (and what will instantly kill my car).
Old 10-28-2014, 08:44 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Ugh... Stupid autocorrect- "fungi" should be "if you value"...
Old 10-30-2014, 12:44 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Originally Posted by dagentooboy
While I agree that some of those things could be devastating.... There are a lot of things that shouldn't hurt anything. Like enabling the lock/unlock beeper or removing the logos and warnings from the radio startup.... and so on.

If we have access to all that development data is there really anything that a chip tuner can do that we can't? I don't really care about the extra HP but 2-4MPG gain and reduced turbo lag would be really nice.

I am an electrical engineer and I design systems like this all the time. I am just curious what is possible (and what will instantly kill my car).

Just out of interest.. were you able to enable the lock/unlock beep? And remove warnings from radio startup?

I looked all throughout DAS (I have Dev Mode) and couldn't find them.

Was told that rear lock/unlock on some models required changing the country code from USA to Netherlands in the rear SAM. But my rear SAM only has options for US and Mexico I believe.

If you can tell us the menu paths to get to these two options, it would be appreciated!