GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Tire Pressure Sensors Not Detected

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 12:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd

I am skeptical that Audi was allowed to transition to indirect only. The obsession with tire pressure is entirely with the regulatory agencies, such as EPA, for fuel savings. Indirect won't tell you if all four tires are underinflated.

For what it's worth, these guys on ******* think it's cranking speed differential:
Well, your skepticism aside, there were no sensors in the 2012 S5 wheels.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 586 Likes on 494 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Elbeau
Well, your skepticism aside, there were no sensors in the 2012 S5 wheels.
Right you are; at least, it turns out indirect TPMS is allowed, even on new vehicles. I wonder why the rush to direct TPMS when the sensors are so expensive and confusing.

It looks like the push to TPMS was rationalized by NHTSA - that is, safety - so for that indirect TPMS is more than adequate.

Last edited by eric_in_sd; 05-14-2024 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes-Benz Vision EQS
Originally Posted by fastneutron
I recently had all 4 tire pressure sensors replaced at America's Tire with DILL 1049, but now the system just says Tire Pressure System Inoperative No Wheel Sensors Detected. They initially installed the 351MHz sensors, which were wrong, but even after replacing them to the 433 MHz sensors, the sensors are still not detected. The techs said all sensors scanned just fine.

Before changing sensors, I was still seeing the options to reset or restart the TPMS. Now it just says no wheel sensors detected. I just spent $500 for the sensors & labor and now they're asking me to take it to the dealer. They must be doing something wrong to have the system recognize the sensors.

Anyone ever had to replace their tire pressure sensors with OEM sensors? I might just have them re-install the old ones in.
When you're getting new sensors for your car, make sure they're a perfect match for your car's make, model, and year. Even if they're the right frequency (433 MHz), they gotta be programmed or set up just right for your specific car model. It's like making sure you've got the right puzzle piece for the puzzle - everything's gotta fit perfectly.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:58 AM

Mercedes gl450
Right you are; at least, it turns out indirect TPMS is allowed, even on new vehicles. I wonder why the rush to direct TPMS when the sensors are so expensive and confusing.

It looks like the push to TPMS was rationalized by NHTSA - that is, safety - so for that indirect TPMS is more than adequate.
Way back in ancient times, there was an issue with Firestone (and perhaps other) radial tires exploding due to improper air pressure. Previously, radials were not very common in the US and when they became more prevalent, many people could not tell from looking (which was the more predominant method of assessing the need to check pressure on non-radials) if the radials had the right pressure. To people used to non-radials, radials always looked low on pressure unless way over-inflated. But, they were told they are supposed to look that way. So, with the growing number of people who couldn't tell low from normal, and those who refused to accept the look was normal, there were growing numbers of serious accidents due to tire failure. Hence the "rush" to mandate TPMS.
Problem is, as technology becomes more reliable, people rely on it more. Perhaps more than they should. We're already seeing that with (partial) self-drive vehicles. Of course, you can't tell how many blow-outs TPMS has prevented. But you sure can tell when it hasn't.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
"People are too stupid to check tire pressure, so we'll force the cars to check it for them."

To be honest, I'm not sure that was a wrong premise.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:25 PM

Mercedes gl450
"People are too stupid to check tire pressure, so we'll force the cars to check it for them."

To be honest, I'm not sure that was a wrong premise.
Well, I think that applies to many things. But, I think in this case, it was more due to laziness than stupidity. Also, gas station air dispensers weren't known for their accuracy.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:16 PM

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
1998 SL500,2011 GL550,2009 ML350,past 1995 E320 Cabrio ,2005 ML500,2006 ML500,1996 SL500,1972 280SEL
tpms

The other side of the coin is “road hazards “ how many times have you seen someone driving up the freeway with a partially inflated tire? or worst driving on a flat? they picked up a nail etc. I always check air pressure but it sires is nice to get a warning that something has happened … this is my first model that shows constant air pressure and on a hot day it is very common to see a tire increase from 32-33 to 37-38 . just some thoughts why tpms is useful .
The following users liked this post:
Elbeau (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 02:32 PM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by vesiadog
The other side of the coin is “road hazards “ how many times have you seen someone driving up the freeway with a partially inflated tire? or worst driving on a flat? they picked up a nail etc. I always check air pressure but it sires is nice to get a warning that something has happened … this is my first model that shows constant air pressure and on a hot day it is very common to see a tire increase from 32-33 to 37-38 . just some thoughts why tpms is useful .
True. I had a huge screw imbedded in a tire. My SUV was parked for several days and the tire did not look low. But, when I started the SUV, a warning immediately popped up that the right rear tire was low. If that screw had come out on the highway, which is where I was going to go, it could have been disastrous given the size of the hole that screw made.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 589 Likes on 498 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
I think we are squarely in the age of complication over innovation. Big *** screens, giant sunroofs, transmission sensors that somehow derive tire pressure, and a bunch of owners who don’t know how to check tire pressure nor keep their eyes on the road.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Dude watch JustRolledIn. You wouldn't believe how many people never change their oil and then are surprised when the engine goes whoomph.

Maybe this is why people buy electric cars. They think it will be like an electric appliance that works until they think it's time to buy a new one.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:12 AM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
I think we are squarely in the age of complication over innovation. Big *** screens, giant sunroofs, transmission sensors that somehow derive tire pressure, and a bunch of owners who don’t know how to check tire pressure nor keep their eyes on the road.
I think what's going on is an example of "be careful what you ask for." My first car had a gas gauge and a speedometer. There were maybe 3 idiot lights. The idea of "wouldn't it be nice if the car let me know when...." would occasionally enter my mind. Now we're practically at the point where vehicles question your fashion sense when you turn them on. It will soon almost be a necessity to be able to simply talk to the vehicle for everything because trying to find something through the infotainment screens will be damn near impossible. "Take me to work" may be the only "driving" one will need to do. And as much as I like actually driving, sometimes I wish my vehicle already had that capability.
Between my dashcam, radar detector and the vehicle's system checks, I'm treated to a light and sound show every time I turn the vehicle on.
And trying to explain it all to my newly driving wife, for whom English is a second language, only adds to the fun.
Then add in that just about everything is in a different place between our Benz and our Land Rover....
Going back to my skateboard as my primary means of transportation sometimes seems appealing. Eh, maybe not.

Last edited by Elbeau; 05-15-2024 at 03:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:17 AM

Mercedes gl450
Dude watch JustRolledIn. You wouldn't believe how many people never change their oil and then are surprised when the engine goes whoomph.

Maybe this is why people buy electric cars. They think it will be like an electric appliance that works until they think it's time to buy a new one.
Yeah, but when you read reviews of products on Amazon, those people would want to buy a new car for $1000 and expect it to last 20 years.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 180 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Pierregirard
When you're getting new sensors for your car, make sure they're a perfect match for your car's make, model, and year. Even if they're the right frequency (433 MHz), they gotta be programmed or set up just right for your specific car model. It's like making sure you've got the right puzzle piece for the puzzle - everything's gotta fit perfectly.
It's not that difficult.

You can purchase sensors made by Huf (BHsens) and called Intellisens that are programmed simply by getting tire pressure page on your screen between dials and pressing the R button.

They are a good thing when when you have winter and summer wheels.

Part number RDE206V21 ... FCP Euro, among others has them.

The trick is convincing your tire shop not to attempt programming them their usual way.

Last edited by lkchris; 05-15-2024 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by lkchris
It's not that difficult.

You can purchase sensors made by Huf (BHsens) and called Intellisens that are programmed simply by getting tire pressure page on your screen between dials and pressing the R button.

They are a good thing when when you have winter and summer wheels.

Part number RDE206V21 ... FCP Euro, among others has them.

The trick is convincing your tire shop not to attempt programming them their usual way.
It depends on the model year. In my 2007 there is absolutely no user programming at all, and tire shops' tools neither recognize nor have any effect on the sensors, which do no two-way communicating: They simply start transmitting when the tire rotates, and the onboard receiver looks for four signals, and if it finds less than four, it reports an error to the vehicle system.

The dash reset function in my 2007 only sets the nominal pressures to the pressures the sensors are reporting. Thus if a sensor is at 40 psi, the reset tells the system the nominal is 40 psi, and to warn if the pressure drops by a certain percentage - I think it is 20% - thus reporting an error if that sensor drops to 32 psi. One should only do the reset when the tires are known to be at correct inflation and "cold", that is, having sat for a while to cool off.

Last edited by eric_in_sd; 05-15-2024 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:37 PM

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
1998 SL500,2011 GL550,2009 ML350,past 1995 E320 Cabrio ,2005 ML500,2006 ML500,1996 SL500,1972 280SEL
Different info on my 2008

It depends on the model year. In my 2007 there is absolutely no user programming at all, and tire shops' tools neither recognize nor have any effect on the sensors, which do no two-way communicating: They simply start transmitting when the tire rotates, and the onboard receiver looks for four signals, and if it finds less than four, it reports an error to the vehicle system.

The dash reset function in my 2007 only sets the nominal pressures to the pressures the sensors are reporting. Thus if a sensor is at 40 psi, the reset tells the system the nominal is 40 psi, and to warn if the pressure drops by a certain percentage - I think it is 20% - thus reporting an error if that sensor drops to 32 psi. One should only do the reset when the tires are known to be at correct inflation and "cold", that is, having sat for a while to cool off.
My 2008 GL550 could be read by my Autel handheld .. I am pretty sure 2007 &08 are the same. My reset was the same as your explanation but I was able to read each individual tpms with the tool. The Autel tool
is definitely worth investing in if you have a couple of cars and get them rotated or ever have to change tpms like I did .
Old 05-15-2024, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 589 Likes on 498 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by Elbeau
Yeah, but when you read reviews of products on Amazon, those people would want to buy a new car for $1000 and expect it to last 20 years.
that’s par for the course in India, where most of these reviews are generated in review writing farms.

have you read some some of the **** they write in these five star reviews?
Old 05-16-2024, 02:18 PM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
that’s par for the course in India, where most of these reviews are generated in review writing farms.

have you read some some of the **** they write in these five star reviews?
Yeah. But in the 5 star reviews it essentially comes down to the product being "great" and doing just what it's supposed to. But in the negative reviews, people come up with the most ridiculous complaints.
The following users liked this post:
vesiadog (05-16-2024)