GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Automatic lights stayed on through night....car won't start with jump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes GL450
Automatic lights stayed on through night....car won't start with jump

I have a 2007 GL450. I walked out the garage this AM and noticed headlights were on. They were set to the automatic switch. The car wouldn't start so I asked for a jump but it still wouldn't start with jump. Is the battery done?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Not necessarily. I just went through a similar experience. Our .08 had set for about a week outside in 30 deg F weather [battery is just under 2 years old]. Wouldn't start... battery ABSOLUTELY dead. Tried to charge with my charger - wouldn't take a charge on float setting - wouldn't start after an hour on fast charge. Had it flat bedded to a local shop (nearest Mercedes dealer - where I bought the battery - is 70 mi away) and they bought a new battery and got it started. Meanwhile they tried to charge the 'old' battery and got it to just barely "pass" range.
I contacted the dealer and he told me that MERCEDES would replace the battery since it was still less than 2 years old but I had to get the car to them with the old battery installed. The local shop re-installed the old battery and the car started. I drove it to Beaverton, OR and the dealer tested it thoroughly including battery drain possibilities and couldn't find anything wrong.
Brought it home and it still starts and runs fine. Battery drain is about 35ma which the service manager says is well within acceptable range.
So. to answer your question, it depends on how old your battery is and whether a shop can bring it back to life. If it is less that 3 years old I'd guess it can be recovered, if older it might not be possible. [and turn the headlight switch to OFF! unless you drive at night]
Old 01-26-2015, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes GL450
I don't know how old battery since I bought car used. I charged it with a battery charger and it started. My guess the jump wasn't enough to get it going?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
It is probably too late now but you should be aware that the alternators on these vehicles are not sized to completely charge up a battery. They are only designed to replace the energy used during a normal start and to keep up with the electrical load from the lights, accessories, electronics etc. They just don't have the capacity to do much more. It is ALWAYS a good idea to charge the battery as completely as possible before driving off.