GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

X164 purchase as daily driver with many questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2015 | 11:05 AM

2010 R350 BlueTEC
X164 purchase as daily driver with many questions

Hi Few questions I would like to get answers from experienced GL450 drivers here.
we've decided to buy a GL450 as a daily driver for my wife. commute will be 25 miles RT.
I've been looking and have come across quite a few used GL450 07-10 with less miles in and around price range of 25-30k
1. Is this a reasonable price range to consider buying from a dealer
2.What will be the approximate maintenance charges for these machines
3. Guys who are out of warranty do you still take to MB dealers to service your machine or you go to a local indy?
4.I'm trying to find out what is the difference between P1 Vs P2 package online but i'm not able to find the difference.
5.finally should I buy a low mileage GL450 that is out of warranty or try to find a GL450 which is bit pricer but that comes with an extended warranty

Hope to get some answers
Thanks in advance
Old 02-13-2015 | 12:54 PM

gl450 530i
Originally Posted by shrini23
Hi Few questions I would like to get answers from experienced GL450 drivers here.<br />
we've decided to buy a GL450 as a daily driver for my wife. commute will be 25 miles RT.<br />
I've been looking and have come across quite a few used GL450 07-10 with less miles in and around price range of 25-30k<br />
1. Is this a reasonable price range to consider buying from a dealer<br />
2.What will be the approximate maintenance charges for these machines<br />
3. Guys who are out of warranty do you still take to MB dealers to service your machine or you go to a local indy?<br />
4.I'm trying to find out what is the difference between P1 Vs P2 package online but i'm not able to find the difference.<br />
5.finally should I buy a low mileage GL450 that is out of warranty or try to find a GL450 which is bit pricer but that comes with an extended warranty<br />
<br />
Hope to get some answers<br />
Thanks in advance
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
I do all my own work on mine, I also have the mb star diagnostic system which greatly helps. we daily drive ours and has well over 140k the only issues ive had are the airbags for the suspension all needing to be replaced other than that, car has been a dream. we got ours for 16k clean title mint condition fully loaded and always dealer maintained from a retired surgeon.. there are deals to be found if you look
Old 02-15-2015 | 11:21 AM

2010 GL450, 2013 E350
Need you to define for us what are key criteria for your choice

Originally Posted by shrini23
Hi Few questions I would like to get answers from experienced GL450 drivers here.
we've decided to buy a GL450 as a daily driver for my wife. commute will be 25 miles RT.
I've been looking and have come across quite a few used GL450 07-10 with less miles in and around price range of 25-30k
1. Is this a reasonable price range to consider buying from a dealer
2.What will be the approximate maintenance charges for these machines
3. Guys who are out of warranty do you still take to MB dealers to service your machine or you go to a local indy?
4.I'm trying to find out what is the difference between P1 Vs P2 package online but i'm not able to find the difference.
5.finally should I buy a low mileage GL450 that is out of warranty or try to find a GL450 which is bit pricer but that comes with an extended warranty

Hope to get some answers
Thanks in advance

Questions you ask about price + P1/P2 diffs are expected. Not sure, though, about #3 -- "do you take to MB dealer vs. indy". What would other people's habits or depth-of-pocket have to do with your decision to buy or not? Same with warranty (CPO vs. out of warranty + 3rd party or no warranty at all)--these are financial choices, and have little to do with vehicle reliability. It depends on how much you're willing to spend up-front vs. incidentals when a major service issue arises, as well as whether you're a DIY person or not (sounds like not from your question).

As far as P1 vs. P2 -- a good source, probably, is Edmunds.com. They tend to list a lot of the types of questions you seem to be asking at this stage of your search. Broadly, a P1 Package includes:

Premium 1 Package:
– COMAND system with 40GB hard-drive navigation
– Enhanced voice control for audio, telephone and navigation
– Gracenote media database
– HD Digital Radio
– harmon/kardon LOGIC7 surround-sound system with Dolby Digital 5.1
– Heated front seats
– iPod / MP3 media interface (in glovebox)
– Rear view camera
– SIRIUS Satellite Radio with SIRIUS real-time traffic service
– 4GB/6GB hard-drive with Music Register

Premium 2 Package Includes:
All items in the Premium 1 Package plus:
– Bi-Xenon headlamps with active curve illumination
– KEYLESS-GO
– LED Daytime Running Lamps

Good luck with your search. There are several good pre-owned GL vehicles out there, so take your time and drive them to compare based on year, miles, prior-user treatment, etc.

Dimitris
Old 02-15-2015 | 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by dimitristx
a P1 Package includes:

Premium 1 Package:
– COMAND system with 40GB hard-drive navigation
– Enhanced voice control for audio, telephone and navigation
– Gracenote media database
– HD Digital Radio
– harmon/kardon LOGIC7 surround-sound system with Dolby Digital 5.1
– Heated front seats
– iPod / MP3 media interface (in glovebox)
– Rear view camera
– SIRIUS Satellite Radio with SIRIUS real-time traffic service
– 4GB/6GB hard-drive with Music Register

Premium 2 Package Includes:
All items in the Premium 1 Package plus:
– Bi-Xenon headlamps with active curve illumination
– KEYLESS-GO
– LED Daytime Running Lamps

Good luck with your search. There are several good pre-owned GL vehicles out there, so take your time and drive them to compare based on year, miles, prior-user treatment, etc.

Dimitris
These are not accurate for a 2007 and I don't believe for a 2008 or 2009 model. Do some more research.
Old 02-15-2015 | 08:41 PM

2010 GL450, 2013 E350
Correct; check specific MY to find the exact P1/P2 package details

Originally Posted by BlownV8
These are not accurate for a 2007 and I don't believe for a 2008 or 2009 model. Do some more research.
I only offered this as directional info. Copying from Edmunds.com for the 2010 GL, for instance:

The Premium I package adds a power tailgate, power-folding mirrors, a rearview camera, driver memory functions, auto-dimming driver-side and interior mirrors, a hard-drive-based navigation system, voice controls, 4GB of digital music storage, HD radio, satellite radio, an iPod interface and a 115-volt AC power outlet. The Premium II package adds all the previous items, plus keyless ignition/entry and a Harman Kardon surround-sound system. The Full Leather Seating package adds leather upholstery, "comfort headrests" and ambient interior lighting. The Lighting package adds LED daytime running lights and adaptive bi-xenon headlights with washers. Parking sensors, running boards, ventilated front seats and tri-zone climate controls are options on the 350 and 450, and standard on the 550.