GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Car Mats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL
Car Mats

I am looking for some original or better car mats for my 2012 GL? Any suggestions?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
ebay
Old 07-27-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
I've been using the MB all weather mats. This past winter with all the snow we had, meant lots of slush, salt and sand. the mats adid a great job!

I've ditched the carpeted mats for the all rubber ones. They don't look as pretty but the sure do work great. Especially having kids and grand kids.

I've used this type of mat now in all my vehicles. When i get ready to sell. I just replace the factory carpeted ones for the rubber ones.

eBay is also a great place for like new and new mats for less $$.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:14 PM

R350
I'm in the market too, am looking at these, inm the "upgraded berber" type:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-GL-Class-custom-carpet-floor-mats-with-excellent-coverage-/161778353677?fits=Model%3AGL450&hash=item25aabdc60d&vxp=mtr
My last car (2008 MB R350) had a black interior, and I loved the mats. They had a coarse check pattern, and were soft enough, but were tough as nails. They vacuumed up easy, too. I hope these eBay mats are halfway as good.

Question: My GL has a light grey interior, and the mats are dirty, and the carpet is dirty as well, especially the vertical surfaces by the doors. Detailers can't seem get it clean.

My Question: Do you think dark grey mats would look ok in a car with a light grey interior?
Old 07-29-2015, 06:16 PM

GL550
The mats shown in the picture on eBay are not very good. The edges are bound real simple. Cheaply made if you ask me. You won't like what you get. If you are going custom, I would say Lloyd mats. You can get just about any color and type of carpeting. they will send samples too. If you are going to spend the coin they make the rear cargo mats too that will match the other three rows. My interior is black, I have grand kids and adult kids who don't give 2 cents about anything. I raised them right, but don't ask me what happened after they left the house. Hit their heads? My oldest is brain dead stupid. Their cars are trashed inside. When I say trashed I mean trashed and trash too. I don't get it. Not the current Benz but the GL450 I had the tan interior. I scotchguarded the carpeting to the point of soaking it. It always cleaned up great. This was the only non-black interior vehicle I've ever owned. As far as cleaning up the current gray it's too late. You will have to have it dyed and it will be a tad darker. If I were you I go with black. It does not show the stains, ect just the lint. If the Lloyd mats are too much to swallow. Mercedes does make a ribbed mat in tan gray and black. Its not the plush as the original ones. But also work and look great.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:54 PM

R350
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. I'd also like to see a heel pad on the driver mat.

Here is another floor mat auction from the same seller, scroll to the bottom, and they show the difference between the standard edging and the "serging edge", which looks much better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2006-Fo...-/351432604357

Speaking of spending money, the cocomats in wool or sisal look fantastic, but would cost a pretty penny to outfit the car.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:10 AM

GL550
Yes, those mats are more for looks than being practical. Serious European owners use driving shoes so they don't tear the mats up. Like wearing house shoes in a home. Also women shoes with heels are bad news for the mats. My wife does not wear those types of shoes so nothing to worry about there, nor does she drive the Benz. She prefers her Lexus. I've got the all weather mats in the Lexus as well. Try and see if you can locate a web site for the mat people on eBay, perhaps they have a different binding as an up charge. Another concern is I had some mats I bought off eBay as custom for our minivan. They did not have any backing and the jute broke down and also no grips to keep the mats from sliding around.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
I've never owned a set, but I've always had a soft spot for cocomats, which I think are retro-cool. http://www.cocomats.com/mercedes-benz-gallery/

I have small children, and my wife insists on feeding them all sorts of things along with their milk cups, while they are riding in the vehicle. I bought the Weathertech mats, which with the exception of the drivers' mat, work quite well. The drivers mat, they cheaped out (despite the fact that the mats are quite pricey for what they are) and didn't extend the dead pedal coverage up to match the factory mats. As a result, during the winter the salt and grit gets down under the mat; inexcusable and I won't recommend them for that fact alone.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:35 PM

GL550
As kids my parents never let us drink anything red, orange or purple period! Today that seems like what all the kids do drink as it tastes better!

The interior of all our cars has always been black except the 2nd GL, which was the tan. When I came home with that my wife said "You're going to be a nervous wreck" owning that. The outside was black! I was tired of the black! I soaked the carpeting with scotchguard and treated the leather. Never had a problem! I did outlaw any drinks that were red, orange or purple in the truck!!. The grand kids have moved away and my youngest was in college. So they did not have a chance to do the R&D on the tan carpeting. The oldest one's car I would chance the ride as something might bite you that's buried in the trash on the floor. If any liquid did spill the trash would absorb it first! That GL is gone and on my third GL now which is back to black.

The wife's Lexus is dark gray with dark gray leather. That too is scotchguarded. We have 98K on it. The carpeting and leather are in perfect condition. Like I said before that too has the rubber all season mats. Several of my friends have the weathertech liners. I was not impressed with them. They were rolled very thin as well. My brother has the Husky Liners in his Toyota's which are heavy duty compared to the Weathertech, but they do not make them for Mercedes. I was lucky to land a pair of the old rubber mats off ebay for the Mercedes that has the dead mans pedal like the carpeted ones.

I'm happy with them and they have served me well.