GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL 550 purchase . Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW X5 4.8is
GL 550 purchase . Advice needed.

Hey guys, I'm new to Mercedes. I've owned a lot of BMW's over the years, currently driving an 06 4.8is X5.

Family is growing and we need to get a bigger vehicle. My wife and I are thinking of getting a GL 550 just because it looks better than most of the other 7 seaters out there in our price range.

I'm asking for advice. I need to know what to look for in these models before purchasing one.
Our budget is under 40k.

So far we've been able to find 2010,2011 models around $36.000 with 60-70k miles.

Is 2012 a better year for these cars?

How about warranty? Should I look into purchasing that as well?

Is it possible to buy the warranty through Mercedes ? I'd hate dealing with a third party warranty.

That's about it for now. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
They may look nicer but the tires are very expensive. The 21 inch AMG wheel size makes the tires harder to find.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW X5 4.8is
Originally Posted by islandbeef
They may look nicer but the tires are very expensive. The 21 inch AMG wheel size makes the tires harder to find.
I understand that, but tires on my x5 weren't cheap either (315/40/20) were 400-500$ a piece so I'm kinda used to it. I'm test driving one right now, I'm impressed.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 E63 AMG S SEDAN, 2010 E550 SEDAN
Originally Posted by Anemone
Hey guys, I'm new to Mercedes. I've owned a lot of BMW's over the years, currently driving an 06 4.8is X5.

Family is growing and we need to get a bigger vehicle. My wife and I are thinking of getting a GL 550 just because it looks better than most of the other 7 seaters out there in our price range.

I'm asking for advice. I need to know what to look for in these models before purchasing one.
Our budget is under 40k.

So far we've been able to find 2010,2011 models around $36.000 with 60-70k miles.

Is 2012 a better year for these cars?

How about warranty? Should I look into purchasing that as well?

Is it possible to buy the warranty through Mercedes ? I'd hate dealing with a third party warranty.

That's about it for now. Thanks!
Can't go wrong with either a ML550 or GL550
Old 12-29-2015, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350 2008 GL550
We have an 08 550 bought it a couple years ago, awesome car yes tires are not cheapest, sucks down a whole lotta gas. Even after having it a couple years still love it, plus it's one of the safest cars's out there from what I hear.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
I may catch some flack for this but here it goes.

By now you know that these German engineered marvels are not so hot after the warranty runs out. Big expenses down the road.

Here's what I've gathered owning the GL. Once the warranty runs out so does your luck. I've had pretty good luck with both of my gassers. The diesel was a true test of my endurance. Never again! Try and locate a CPO. That way you get a longer warranty and good financing terms. You will of course pay for that in the price. As you are buying down the finance rate. Try to stay away from 3rd party warranties as they rarely pay out. Also once the warranty runs out the bank rates if financed outside on Mercedes goes up. They figure you'll pay to get it fixed before making the payments. These facts are now rolled into the data being tallied by the banks. Try to keep the year to no more than 2 model years old or you'll pay used car rates. Those teaser rates are all incorporated into the selling price as you're buying down the rates. Most of what you'll find used are lease ends. Because Mercedes wants the truck back whole vs. a buckets of parts they are generally better kept. Most people lease them and walk away from it as they don't want to get sucked into the big fix items. I've generally bought CPO used and a just a few times new. Big difference in price. I used cargurus.com to see if the price was inline with others in the area. I also used Truecar.com both helped with the final buying cost. Some dealers hate true car as they have to pay them for the service. Mine wadded up the certificate and gave me 500 more off the price vs. paying them. I said nothing and went on fat, dumb and happy.

The biggest down falls for the Pre 2013s are there is no music bluetooth. Just audio for the phone calls. Also NO USB outlet!! Epic fail for Benz!! This is for all phones not just iPhone or Android devices. The cords in the glove box are for the older iPhones and earbuds. Worthless with the amount of cord you have to work with. Extenders DO NOT WORK!! I've tried VW and Audi cables and they don't work, period! There is aftermarket VISEEO bluetooth but it's not up to par. Others aftermarket are the same. You'll end up frustrated.

The only problem area are the air shocks. Expensive if dealer done. Find an Indy or do the work yourself. Also the rear deck door lock. Never a problem in both of mine. The air shocks will fail at some point. Just a matter of time.

I also have a Lexus LX570. The boat of all land ships! The quality of the plastics are much better on the Benz than the Lexus. I'm just about to roll 100K on the Lexus and never a problem. Bullet proof truck!! I have all the options like I do on the Benz. Except the back seats are electric both rows and it has OEM remote start!! My only issues is the previous owner had the wheels chromed and the chrome is peeling off due to the road salt/chemicals used during the winter. It too was a CPO through Lexus. Lexus won't touch it as it was done aftermarket. When we travel we generally take the Lexus as the wife likes the ride. She says the ride on the Benz is too hard. She's correct. The Lexus also sits up much higher than the Benz. I have to lower it when going into some older inner city garages. Gas mileage is the same. If you can afford the truck the gas should not be an issue.