GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Thank god for extended warranty - but this is getting ridiculous

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
If the dealership wont cover the clear coat trip peeling, wait until the truck is nice and hot from the sun and peel it off. I peeled mine off and it is a matte finish which does not look too bad. I was too lazy to buy new trim pieces set for almost $500..

I been watching a lot of these OM642 videos on oil cooler which is tear down to just before the heads. It is not a complicated engine design and fairly well compartmentalized. Space is tight for sure but doable if you have the right tools. I regret not replacing my swirl motor replaced on my dime when my oil cooler went in Jan of 2016 under warranty because I think it needs replacement. Will pull only the turbo and fuel filter to try for enough swirl motor access.

These new emissions requirements are creating a lot of the problems. Peach Parts and Sprinter forum is a wealth of information for this diesel power plant.

Just check your oil dipstick often. Any oil leak can turn substantial quickly which is where many of the engines run out of oil and seize.

Last edited by chsu74; 10-12-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
Another update on the saga - six months and 3,000 miles since my last post.

In November, the dealer replaced the ad blue heater, and also they did refinish the trim parts with peeling clear under the extended warranty. +1 for them.

They also introduced a new very loud resonating vibration in the rear of the exhaust (presumably because they dropped the exhaust to remove the ad-blue tank)

I took the truck back to them last week to get the exhaust resonance fully fixed - my extended seven year warranty runs out in a couple of months - and when they put the GL on the lift they found that the oil cooler seal is leaking again, as are the motor mounts and arms.
So it's having the oiler cooler seal leak fixed for the second time. and they are replacing the motor mounts and arms - they sent a picture and the motor mounts look destroyed. Again +1 for them for being honest and finding these other items that needed to get fixed.

This would have been another $5,000 of repairs if I didn't still have the extended warranty in place, including the repeat of a $3,500 oil cooler seal procedure that was supposed to be permanent. Just embarrasingly poor quality Mercedes...

Last edited by ddruker; 03-25-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:36 PM

GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
I basically went through the same thing. Only thing I regret is that I did not pay out of pocket to replace the swirl motor during the warranty repair of oil cooler. One of the clips broke off and now I have to go back in to fix it. Truck runs like a champ with all new updated parts now. The 7 year/100K extended warranty saved me a lot of cash..
Old 03-26-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 GL550
Originally Posted by chsu74
I basically went through the same thing. Only thing I regret is that I did not pay out of pocket to replace the swirl motor during the warranty repair of oil cooler. One of the clips broke off and now I have to go back in to fix it. Truck runs like a champ with all new updated parts now. The 7 year/100K extended warranty saved me a lot of cash..
Whats a swirl motor?

On an unrelated note, this "related thread" feature is annoying AF.

Cant tell you how many times Ive posted in the wrong thread and I dont even post that often.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:54 AM

GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Originally Posted by kensiko
Whats a swirl motor?

On an unrelated note, this "related thread" feature is annoying AF.

Cant tell you how many times Ive posted in the wrong thread and I dont even post that often.
Swirl motor open and closes valves for EGR gas to be reintroduced into the intake manifold for recombustion. This is an emissions control piece which lowers NOx. This motor sits right below the turbo and needs to be removed and replaced during an oil cooler seals replacement.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:29 PM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
Went back to the dealership today to pick up the GL. Did the paperwork, got my keys, turned on the engine - and "Coolant Low" message on the dash. Just befuddled at how bad their quality control is.

Opened the hood and the coolant overflow tank is clearly leaking. This is the fourth service in a row where they have either failed to fix the problem the GL was in for, or they broke something new and didn't catch it. And this time it was for a re-do of the oil cooler seal, which they had already repaired once, and also to re-align the exhaust, which they screwed up when the replaced the DEF heater. So the redo of the redo leads to another redo. Just horrible.

The service manager and shop manager both apologized profusely. The shop manager let slip that one of his junior techs had worked on the oil cooler seal, which concerned him - I just looked at him and asked if he was serious.

Since I come out of my 7 year extended warranty in 60 days, I asked them to do a full CPO checkout on the GL - and then provide me with the detailed inspection records and also fix anything they find while I am still under the extended factory warranty.

They said yes, but we will see...
Old 03-26-2018, 09:04 PM

GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Problem with the oil cooler repair is that removing the turbo takes a tech to literally stand on the motor. Total pain for reach and not surprised damaging other parts of the motor. I ended up with an injector leak after my oil cooler repair and dealer SA said it was not part of the oil cooler repair. I asked if he wanted to take a quiz with me naming engine parts. It was repaired on dealership's dime..