GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

iSimple TranzIt IS32 Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450, 1994 Corvette, 2006 GSX-R 600
Lightbulb iSimple TranzIt IS32 Install

Just wanted to share this. Recently installed the iSimple IS32 on my GL450 HK RSE. I went to a number of different forums looking for someone who had done the install and posted about it but I could not find a single thing - at least not for the IS32. My GL had the RSE, and quite frankly I think it is absolutely ridiculous that if you paid the extra couple thousand for the system, Mercedes removed the AUX input. But that's neither here nor there. For whatever reason the iPod interface also wasn't installed when the vehicle was purchased by the previous owner.

I debated between installing the iPod kit instead of the iSimple unit. The ability to see my music information on the screen was rather appealing - even though it's only between the instrument gauges. Plus I liked the idea of using factory Mercedes equipment. I think it just feels more natural.

That being said, I decided to go with the iSimple unit for two major reasons. The first being that I simply didn't want my connections running through the glovebox. It's a bit unsightly and simply not practical. Because I wanted everything (charging and AUX) concealed in the storage unit under the armrest in the center console, and both devices required you to remove the head unit during installation, it would have turned out to be the same amount of work regardless of which unit I chose.

The second, and most important reason why I went with the iSimple unit was the price. I picked up the IS32 from Best Buy. It normally retails for about $130 but I was able to get them to price match it to Amazon for $54! You need to pick up two adaptors, which I'll talk about later, but both together were less than $30. On the other hand, my dealership wanted $260 for the Media Interface and another $60 for the actual iPod/AUX cable itself. Considering how short the cables on the OEM unit are I would have had to purchase additional extension cables in order to run the connections to the center console. By the time it was all said and done I would have been into the unit somewhere around $400! Considering the only feature I was loosing was the ability to see my iPod music on the tiny screen next to my tach, which if I'm being honest I probably wouldn't have used anyway, it was a no-brainer! All said and done I spent less than $100. Pretty easy way to save $300 if you ask me. That's beer money!

Okay, so far this is a longer post than I was planning. Oops. But I just wanted to do a quick synopsis of the install process for those who may be interested. As I said before, I purchased the iSimple Transit IS32. You'll also need to pick up two adaptors; the 40-EU20 and the 40-EU10. The IS32 uses a "standard" antenna connection while Mercedes uses their "luxury European" connection, or whatever it is. The adaptors simply connect the two connections so you don't have to cut any major wires. All the parts can be purchased through Best Buy, but I'm sure you could find them somewhere online as well.

Start by removing the climate control panel, the ashtray/lighter, the coin drawer, and finally the head unit. On the back of the head unit you will find a number of connections. There are plenty of sources out there explaining how to do this part so I won't go into that much detail. There will be a large plug with a harness coming from it, as well as three separate antenna leads - one yellow, one blue, and one black. The black antenna is for the AM/FM signal and this is the one we want. Disconnect all the wires and set the head unit off to the side.

I chose to conceal all the connections in the armrest. Start by removing the cup holders. To do this, remove the covering on the "front" of the armrest between the latch to the storage bin and the flat area surrounding the cup holders. It will expose two screws which will need to be removed. Once this is done, the entire cup holder assembly will lift out. Next, open the large section of the armrest. At the bottom there are two felt plugs which will need to be removed in order to access two larger screws which hold the bin in place. There is also a small screw which bolts the latch of the bin to the rest of the armrest. It is just above the plastic covering which you removed earlier. Once this is done the entire bin will lift out of the armrest.

To power the IS32 you will need a 12V power source. Just go ahead and tap into the cigarette lighter - it's not worth the effort to run a line to the fuses and the outlet already has more than enough amps to power whatever charger you may plug into it as well as the IS32. The black wire with the blueish-gray strip is the power line and the drown is the ground. You can use this ground, however I chose to ground my device to an empty bracket that was behind the head unit. If desired you can use a current tester to ensure you have all the proper leads.

From here you can connect your power switch, USB, and whatever other leads you have coming from the IS32. Underneath where the ashtray was sitting is a metal crossbar. Be sure to run your wires under this bar, otherwise the ashtray won't quite be able to fit. Run all the wires back to the center console bin. There is plenty of space to push everything to the side underneath the edge of the center console. This will leave you more than enough space and will not interfere with anything when you go to reinstall everything. there isn't much room around the bin, so for now i ran all my connections through the opening on the side of the bin for the interior light. When I have time I'll futz around with it and mount the connections permanently, but for now this is fine. Reassemble the storage bin and cupholders. You're almost done.

Back to the head unit. Plug the female antenna lead from the IS32 into the 40-EU10 adaptor and connect it to the stock AM/FM antenna we had talked about before. This will route your signal into the unit. Connect the male lead to the 40-EU20 adaptor and then reattach it to the head unit. Hook everything back up and test it out! Follow the tuning direction that came with the IS32 if your signal is a little fuzzy. If all is well reinstall the rest of the center console and you're good to go!

I really hope this helps anyone who is considering this option or struggling with the install. I'll put some links down below to some videos that you might find helpful if you have any trouble with the disassembly. I'll also try to snap some pictures of my install for you guys. If you've got any questions feel free to ask.
Cheers!

Head unit removal:

Cupholder and center console removal:
Attached Thumbnails iSimple TranzIt IS32 Install-img_5206-copy.jpg  

Last edited by jjnelsonfox; 03-11-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
e320
this is great info

thanks for the write up on this
Old 03-11-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450, 1994 Corvette, 2006 GSX-R 600
Originally Posted by clvincent
this is great info

thanks for the write up on this
no problem!