Undervoltage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL320CDI
Undervoltage

Hi All

I've posted similar queries on another forum.
---------------------------------------

My 320CDi had a Airmatic Malfunction alarm just after driving off from the workshop (for servicing).

Normally on Auto mode, it switched to SPORT mode...... and remain.
After turning off the engine, and waited for 5 minutes, I restart the engine and select Airmatic to Auto mode, and also seems okay.

But after driving for 20 minutes, again malfunction alarm and it switched to sport mode. Later on, restart the engine and drive on Sport mode ..... no issue.

Next day, before I send the car to the workshop, I double checked and vehicle height is okay.

Start engine to select to Airmatic to auto mode.
I drove to the workshop w/o any problem.
Diagnose by technician ...... the car had undervoltage reading (historically), across most components - when the airmatic malfunction alarm came on.
So not the airmatic issue but spike of undervoltage twice.

Now car is fine but always wondering if it will happen again?

Anyone had face similar problem
Old 10-24-2016, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
How old is the battery (get it load tested, even if newer)? I seem to recall that you can monitor voltage on one of the dash screens... how does that look? Check while engine is running, then with engine off and again overnight (before starting car). Use a DVM directly on the battery if you need to. Also, check battery connections for corroded/tight - remove, clean, reinstall. Then, check where the cables connect at engine and components. Not just positive, but the ground. Look around the engine bay for other grounds, too.

Last edited by DennisG01; 10-24-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL320CDI
Hi DEnnis

Battery is new. Changed about 3 months ago.
Will have a look this weekend. Not sure what I will be looking for exactly.
But thanks for the tip.

I am not sure if the reason is the use of UHF set.
I did use (first time) a handheld UHF set IN the car on the day I sent the car for servicing.

The documentation did mention to not have antenna IN the car to avoid interfering with the electronic. I did not think this is critical. I had used UHF sets in my XC90 and Prado previously - heavy used - without any issue on the electric.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
It sounds like the issue is happening regardless of the UHF, so that would negate that as being the main cause. Could it also cause the issue? Maybe, who knows. You'd have to keep using it and see if there is a correlation. But since it happened without using it, unlikely to be the cause.

I'd still get the battery load tested - even new batteries can go bad. At least that way you're eliminating variables... same goes for checking connections and voltage with/without engine running. Address the basics, then move on to more technical things.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
gl450 530i
Check the relay in the rear, search for my thread in this section for the name.