GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

08 GL450 Transmission fluid replacement question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 MB GL450 4MATIC
08 GL450 Transmission fluid replacement question

I have noticed some corrosion on the bottom of transmission pan and also it is comping to that time when the fluid needs to be changed.
so my question is if it's possible to do it at home, or there some special tools needed?
thanks.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:44 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
search on the subject. it is really not a procedure that should be done at home as it will require a star/ das setup to measure atf temp (do not use the infrared thermometer as you will arrive at the wrong level/ temp) as well as a special tranny pan drain plug adapter and a fluid pump.

unless you know what you are doing i would suggest leaving it to the dealer. fluid is drained from two places- the oil pan and the torque converter. the refill is done via a fluid pump and level is determined by an overflow tube at a specific atf temp read via star/ das.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:04 AM
a2j

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2008 GL320CDI (265k) & 2017 GLS450 (120k)
Originally Posted by petrenk01
I have noticed some corrosion on the bottom of transmission pan and also it is comping to that time when the fluid needs to be changed.
so my question is if it's possible to do it at home, or there some special tools needed?
thanks.
Originally Posted by alx
search on the subject. it is really not a procedure that should be done at home as it will require a star/ das setup to measure atf temp (do not use the infrared thermometer as you will arrive at the wrong level/ temp) as well as a special tranny pan drain plug adapter and a fluid pump.

unless you know what you are doing i would suggest leaving it to the dealer. fluid is drained from two places- the oil pan and the torque converter. the refill is done via a fluid pump and level is determined by an overflow tube at a specific atf temp read via star/ das.

So yes, it can be done, if you have the right equipment at home. We did it, and about to do again on a different vehicle.