GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

remove and replace starter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL550
Originally Posted by Atreides
After reading the tech guide for removing the starter, I budgeted the whole day for a monumental task removing the right cat to get to the starter. Then, I read this article and downsized the effort to a half day based on the engine mount cheat. Well, I can tell you definitively that there is no need to remove the catalytic converter OR the engine mount. There is clearance to remove the starter, albeit with narrow margins and patience, without even scratching a surface or prying of any sort. Here were my steps, all performed from under lifted truck, along with lessons learned:
  1. Remove top and bottom bolts (11mm universal / torx socket on 12"+ wobbler extension) holding starter
  2. Remove heat shield from starter body - just the ear bolt. (Lesson learned - see below)
  3. Remove starter through a) push / pull towards forward of truck until gear clears its insertion in crankcase. At first, it may seem as if there's no forward clearance to clear crankcase. This is the hardest part, but It will come out with a little patience. Reach around and make sure wires are not binding and it will come full forward. Begin lowering and allowing starter body to rotate slightly allowing the solenoid to clear obstructions. Think corkscrew motion about inch counter clockwise facing front of truck, lowering the wire side about the same amount. You can feel the clearances as you do this as long as you are not trying to pry bar it. Once gears are clear from crankcase, drop gear side down and start working down and back. At this point I turned it sideways and rested on control arm so I could access wires.
  4. Remove both wires from starter
  5. Drop starter out full towards rear of truck - voila - done.
The above took 60 minutes for me. Most of that time was spent examining new unit and cavity for planning the exit route. Should only taken 15 minutes, which is how long it took me to re-install new unit. Yeah, the lesson learned part...

The heat shield is actually 2 parts, each having 1 bolt. On my first pass, I removed both bolts and took heat shield out while the starter was still installed. This worked, but you can't reinstall it this way, which I learned the hard way. Once you remove the rear bolt, the shield will slide on its clips towards rear of truck and come out. Reinstallation is the reverse of this. I had to remove starter again to attach clamp first, mount starter to crankshaft and then attach shield. Here's a picture for reference:

That pesky clip can't be hooked once starter is mounted. So, that's my lesson learned which I hope saves someone else some time.

Cheers,
Atreides
2009 GL550
​​​​​​
Hi Atreides,
thanks for your step by step instructions. You're right on point. Took me less than 30mins to get it out.
I was putting off this project for so long because I thought I will have to lower the entire front suspension and remove part of the exhaust system to get to it.
But you make it so easy. Like you said the most important things to do is to remove the heat shield and the electrical connections to the starter and it will slide out with zero effort.
Thanks again, you're a lifeliife saver!!!
Old 12-22-2020, 11:57 AM

X166 GL550
After reading the tech guide for removing the starter, I budgeted the whole day for a monumental task removing the right cat to get to the starter. Then, I read this article and downsized the effort to a half day based on the engine mount cheat. Well, I can tell you definitively that there is no need to remove the catalytic converter OR the engine mount. There is clearance to remove the starter, albeit with narrow margins and patience, without even scratching a surface or prying of any sort. Here were my steps, all performed from under lifted truck, along with lessons learned:
  1. Remove top and bottom bolts (11mm universal / torx socket on 12"+ wobbler extension) holding starter
  2. Remove heat shield from starter body - just the ear bolt. (Lesson learned - see below)
  3. Remove starter through a) push / pull towards forward of truck until gear clears its insertion in crankcase. At first, it may seem as if there's no forward clearance to clear crankcase. This is the hardest part, but It will come out with a little patience. Reach around and make sure wires are not binding and it will come full forward. Begin lowering and allowing starter body to rotate slightly allowing the solenoid to clear obstructions. Think corkscrew motion about inch counter clockwise facing front of truck, lowering the wire side about the same amount. You can feel the clearances as you do this as long as you are not trying to pry bar it. Once gears are clear from crankcase, drop gear side down and start working down and back. At this point I turned it sideways and rested on control arm so I could access wires.
The above took 60 minutes for me. Most of that time was spent examining new unit and cavity for planning the exit route. Should only taken 15 minutes, which is how long it took me to re-install new unit. Yeah, the lesson learned part...

The heat shield is actually 2 parts, each having 1 bolt. On my first pass, I removed both bolts and took heat shield out while the starter was still installed. This worked, but you can't reinstall it this way, which I learned the hard way. Once you remove the rear bolt, the shield will slide on its clips towards rear of truck and come out. Reinstallation is the reverse of this. I had to remove starter again to attach clamp first, mount starter to crankshaft and then attach shield. Here's a picture for reference:

That pesky clip can't be hooked once starter is mounted. So, that's my lesson learned which I hope saves someone else some time.

Cheers,
Atreides
2009 GL550
this is an awesome write up, thank you! Does anyone know if this applies to the X166 GL550 (mine is 2014, wasn’t sure if it was the same engine)?
Old 05-12-2021, 01:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 GL450 , 2005 Sprinter 3500, 1980 SL 500
Has anyone figured out where the starter relay is and if we can jumper it to check

Thank you for sharing guys.

wife said her car won’t start... thank God it died in the driveway. It also has been hesitating to turn over for months now.

something I wanted to check before pulling the starter as it seems tedious:
1) fuse 122 is a fuse labeled as starter, when should I see twelve volts on it as I am not seeing it?
2) where is the starter relay, should I not be able to jumper 12 volts to the solenoid and here it click? If I don’t here it click I should be able to measure resistance to ground as it is a solenoid and should have significant resistance? According to rock auto parts numbers my relay part number should end in 319 or 619 which two of the relays in the box containing fuse 122 do, swapping them did nothing but I’m most concerned I’m not seeing voltage on fuse 112 when turning key to position 3/ ignition.
3) if the starter has brushes that are going bad then the battery to starter cable should read open circuit, where is that end of the cable? If the brushes make contact with the commutator and the windings are good I’ll get a significant resistance....

just want to confirm necessity and a direction for work with some measurements as I’m not as fit and young as you guys are ...
thank you in advance
-mark

Looks like homing out in my case was misleading as the ground brushes had disintegrated, since Bosch offers a lifetime warrant on their new non rebuilt starters, how does one claim warranty without proof of purchase?

Commutator scratched up by springs dues to brush disintegration... starter was less then 12 years old as it’s a 2010, in my opinion this is abnormal and a defect.

Last edited by Mark Pasieka; 05-12-2021 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-12-2021, 12:51 PM
a2j

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2008 GL320CDI (265k) & 2017 GLS450 (120k)
Originally Posted by dhurley
214k on the original starter with my GL320.
After (re)reading this thread I think I should check/replace my starter.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
GL550, Aprilia RST1000 Futura, MX-5 Miata

Cheers,
Atreides
2009 GL550
I just completed this same task on a 2011 GL550. It couldn't have been more straight forward. I did remove the lower Catalytic converter heat shield for room, but nothing about this job was excessively difficult. It took me about 30 minutes from the point I placed the first jack stand to removing the same stand. If you have a little mechanical ability, you can do it!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jaguar1:
texas008 (01-16-2023), Yup497 (05-03-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 02:25 PM

2014 GL 450
does anyone know if this would be the same process for 2014 gl450?