GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Windshield defrost not sufficient to clear ice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Windshield defrost not sufficient to clear ice

I drove to Lake Tahoe recently during a very heavy snow storm and noticed the front defroster was not sufficient in keeping the windshield clear of ice. In fact, most of the windshield was not visible except for a small section on the driver side near the vent. Any advice on keeping the windshield clear of ice?

I had the windshield defrost on high with AC and increased the temp but after a while, the cabin got very warm and did not clear the ice.

I purchased some -15 degree windshield fluid for the next trip.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:08 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Change your cabin filters. In very heavy snow and low temps the windshield defrost is adequate and works well for anything less severe. Also You want to make sure that your air intake (pass side hood scoop) is clear of ice and snow.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL550
I have never seen or used a car where the defroster is used to melt ice, and it was able to… especially in a heavy snow storm.

The idea behind the front defroster is to force hot air into the windshield and heat it up, and this is sufficient to remove condensation from the inside of the windshield. When you say you increased the temp, did you mean up put it all the way high or below that?
Old 03-01-2023, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
This will surely again soon become a 6 year old thread, but just to document …

… German vehicles are all required by regulation to have a single button to create maximum windscreen defrost. So learn what that is and use it for starters.

I think but am not positive that the diesels at least have electric heating elements within the hvac system to accelerate heating from cold. (Diesels don’t warm up at idle since they are running at something like 150 to 1 air to fuel.)