GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Front Air Struts - what if I don't replace??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL550
Front Air Struts - what if I don't replace??

Going on 8 years with my 2009 GL550. Both front air struts went out around 4 years into ownership and I wasn't too concerned as it was covered under warranty (the rear "bags" went out around year 6 and were covered under extended warranty).

I'm now officially out of warranty and 4 years since replacing the front struts, my passenger front strut has given out. Similarly to previous experience, the car "sags" after being parked for some amount of time, but once I open the driver door and/or start the vehicle, it raises up to normal level and has no ride issues.

So here's my question...besides looking ghetto when it's parked because the wheel well is literally sitting on top of my tire...long term if I did nothing to replace the air strut what would happen? Since it operates fine once I start the car and drive - is there any negative consequences to not fixing this?

Side question is now that I'm out of warranty am I better off going to a reputable foreign car dealer and requesting the Arnotts? I'm seeing a few recent threads on this forum that don't give me much more confidence in the Arnott.

I'm a bit disgusted that the air struts going out every 4 years seem to be a "cost of ownership" and that a better part cannot be manufactured. I get belts, brakes, and other items that eventually need replacing via normal wear and tear as this is with any vehicle, but for the air strut to regular give out every 4 years at a cost of $2k per replacement is disappointing. This will weigh heavily on my decision to buy another Mercedes when it's time for me to eventually sell my GL. It's one thing if I just had bad luck with my particular vehicle, but from what I have read pretty much every GL owner has this experience in a similar pattern.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Are you sure the air bag is bad? Air fittings and valves can also leak.
If you live where there is an independent repair shop which works on a lot of Mercedes you should go there for advice. However, there are many such indys who do not do enough Mercedes work to warrant buying the electronic diagnostic equipment so necessary to work on late model vehicles.
By the way, the Arnotts on the rear of mine have worked fine - I haven't had to replace the front air bags yet. I would use Arnotts again in a 'minute'.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
If your shocks are leaking it will increase wear on compressor and eventually it will quit. About $700 at dealer
Old 02-16-2017, 10:35 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
gl450 530i
The arnott replacement options are about 300 Mercedes refurbished ones are about 1k and brand new Mercedes ones are about 1500 Bilstein ones are about 800. I use arnott and an very pleased i have had to exchange one already which was within 5k miles but they made it flawless
Old 02-16-2017, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I just replaced a front Arnott strut. It did not last any longer than the OE MB strut but my only cost, after they refund when I return the old one, will be less than $200 labor to install. The rear Arnott's seem to be holding up better than the stock airbags.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:57 AM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
s500 GL450 GL63 Z71XL Yukon 67 396 SS velle 68 Vert Camaro 69 RSSS Vert Camaro 75 Blazer
If you are going to have an indy repair it, you should buy the airbags yourself so you can utilize the warrantee if need be. If you have your indy buy them, it will be a bit more difficult to explain though you might eventually have them replace under warrantee.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by angelglo
If you are going to have an indy repair it, you should buy the airbags yourself so you can utilize the warrantee if need be. If you have your indy buy them, it will be a bit more difficult to explain though you might eventually have them replace under warrantee.
This is good advice and exactly what I did. I would also encourage you to purchase the whole assembly instead of just "the bag". My local shop charged me $200 to install the Arnott assembly that I provided to them.